The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ARE ALL LINED LEATHERS HEFTY?

I have some Perri's leathers which I have trouble pulling through to change the holes. Another problem is that the nylon is shedding a bit out the sides...the leathers are just 3 months old. Is this normal? Are lined leathers usually harder to pull through? I have never had lined leathers before but I wanted to avoid stretching so I thought I would try them. Thanks in advance.

They're definitely thicker but I've never had any complaints with any pair I've owned. First pair was HDR, second pair is Antares.

Honestly I've had the same problem with a pair of prestige leathers, but surprisingly I'm not having it with my M. Toulouse leathers! Since I switch stirrups for shows (that new black stirrup rule is killing meeeee) I have Luc Childeric leathers on my other stirrups and I find those are some of the thinner and easer to change lined leathers. I think it's because the keeper on the Childeric saddles is pretty thin.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I have the Beval lined leathers and haven't had any issues with them being too difficult when I have to change my stirrup length for whatever reason. Some are a bit thicker than others, though.

I've got Arc de Triomphe lined leathers, and they're actually thinner than some of the sturdier all-leather ones I've seen. Lovely, lovely leathers!

The ones I've had, which include Beval and Prestige, are pretty thick and hard to pull through the bars. I just bought a set of Stubben ones that I'm eager to try as they are narrower and I think that might help. On my one super wide saddle for te fat pony, the bump of the buckle and leather under my thigh just kills me sometimes - I think I have Beval lined leathers on that one. I am hoping the smaller buckle and narrower leather of the Stubbens will help.

I've only had Beval lined leathers and have never had those issues.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

The stubben lined leathers are paper thin and super soft. Uh, so thin and soft that my irons won't stay run up unless I wrap the leathers. I've had them about a year and have not stretched any more than regular lined leathers. I think I used prestiges, but whatever they were, they had a flat buckle, very soft leather, not cheap.

I tried them because the thicker leathers created a "rise" under the skirt where the leather left the stirrup bar. It probably doesn't bother anyone but me, but it drove me insane. So much so that I never could tuck the extra length in its keeper. The stubbens are much better and have a pretty decorative end to boot.

OP, the problem you describe was common to the old triple lined leathers, I've never seen it with the newer wrapped/lined leathers.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I agree with @hunterrider23 -- My Toulouse leathers are lovely and soft, and easy to pull through to change.