The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default close trim = prone to abscess?

SO, my mare with the sore toes after her trim on Weds was better on Sat. Instructor & I both thought she was fine & I rode her in the soft arena Sat afternoon.

She was fine this week until tonight. She came out of her stall with her legs sprawled out at LAME>

I thought maybe she had been turned out on new grass & panicked, but she has only been in her paddock/dirt lot. BO has been keeping them in there b/c of ice. There are no hoof prints in the pasture snow so she def. has not been out.

BO said she was not lame Mon to today, when I was out to see her. She must have been sore coming into eat tonight, not sure how he could miss it. They run in, aren't led, but they do it right past you as you hold gate.

She only gets hay & handful of grain. She is at a good weight for the first time in her life. Please, please do not want this to be laminitis.

She had an abscess this time last year (when she was pretty much living in a swamp), and looked like she does right now. I felt her feet, one seemed warmer than the others, but I can't really tell very well. Also not good at feeling if pulse was any stronger. She was willing to pick up all feet but off front.

A close trim would make it easier for something to get inside walls & cause an issue. How likely do you think this is? She is not in mud, but it has been wet, with melting snow & slush

Vet will be out tomorrow. until then I will be freaked out.

I want someone to tell me "oh yea, too short trims always give them abscesses"

Not always abcesses, but can make them very foot sore. If the ground is very hard(you mention ice) then that can make an already foot sore horse even worse. In the past my mare had a "stone bruise" from really hard uneven frozen ground in her paddock. My horse has very flat feet and if she looses a shoe, she can get foot sore pretty quickly. I usually wrap and pad her foot and sometimes use DMSO gel to get the soreness out of her foot. Good luck with your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    . . .
    I want someone to tell me "oh yea, too short trims always give them abscesses"
    More likely being trimmed too short is the root cause of the problem. And then riding just a few days after that aggravated the problem. If it turns into an abscess it would likely be due to excessive solar bruising.

Thanks for responses.

Arghhh so sad for her. I feel horrible.

So do you think the reason it may have just manifested as is aggravation or bruising? I rode her Sat, but not since.

I ordered durasole last week. It was here today when I got home.

I will report back from vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    . . .So do you think the reason it may have just manifested as is aggravation or bruising? . . .
    I find the entire situation aggravating.

Whenever I have trimmed a horse too short (because we all make mistakes) I put shoes on the horse at my own expense.

2 members found this post helpful.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

I agree with Tom. Your farrier should have taken care of this days ago. And if your horse is indeed trimmed as short as my imagination shows me then he probably needs both a full pad and a rim pad in addition to a deep seated shoe. I can think of no reason or excuse other than traumatic injury to the farrier or a death in his family for the farrier to be so remiss nee negligent by doing nothing to address the problem.

OP is the vet bringing the x-ray machine? Measuring the sole depth wouldn't be a bad thing..