The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bridle fitting woes...

I have Connemara ponies. Cob sized bridle, right? Ummm no. Full sized? Nope. Pony sized? Definitely not.

I had seven horses in my barn showing and hunting this winter. Six of the seven are presumably Cob sized; one small-headed TB, one purebred Connemara, and four half-bred Connemaras. I have approximately five brands of Cob sized bridles in the tack room. Not one fits properly. I have manipulated them to make them functional, bought bigger brown bands, punched more holes, and bought elevator cheeks. I am in need of a couple of new bridles, and I cannot find anything! I've tried several already and I'm tired of spending the $$ to ship them back. Am I going to have to go custom??? Help!

Here's the skinny: These guys have broad foreheads, the Cob sized brow bands are not wide enough, and cause the crown piece and brow band to pinch their ears. The cheek pieces are always too long, I'm immediately using the top, or second to the top holes, and as the bridle stretches over time, the cheek pieces become too loose. The nose bands seem to vary, either too small or too big in circumference.

Suggestions needed! TIA!
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Nunn Finer has a customizable bridle. You can get different cheeks, nosebands, crown, etc. I just ordered their padded figure 8 and I was able to get different reins, OS brow band and everything else horse for no extra. They are very easy to work with.

Yep, Nunn Finer is what I got for my boy. Cob cheeks and horse size everything else. My dressage bridle was cobbled together with all kinds of parts - it actually has pony cheeks and horse sized everything else! That was a pain - definitely will go back to Nunn Finer rather than doing that again!

Check these guys out: http://justbridles.com/ I've gotten some pieces from them, but no full bridles yet.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I bought mine as separate pieces. Crosby (these are old bridles) So horse sz headstalls, cob sz cheek pieces and WB size browband. Horse sz reins...lol.

I was going to suggest justbridles.com too. You can piece together the bridle with different sizes and they give measurements for each brand.

We have a Connemara who is hard to fit as well. Small muzzle, huge brow, short head. I'm going to try a Bobbys Bridle. My friend, who has two Conneamara's, recommended I try them, she swears by hers, you can customize, the quality is amazing, and so is the price.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I'm going to take measurements tomorrow, and investigate Just Bridles. Hadn't heard of them before!

I have tried some of the Nunn Finer bridles, and the fit still isn't great.
    Fade to Grey Farm

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    We have a Connemara who is hard to fit as well. Small muzzle, huge brow, short head. I'm going to try a Bobbys Bridle. My friend, who has two Conneamara's, recommended I try them, she swears by hers, you can customize, the quality is amazing, and so is the price.
    I *think* at some point, I had a Bobby's Bridle...I want to say it wasn't for one of the ponies, but that I remember the quality being great. Perhaps it was a client's horse's bridle.

I will check them out too, thanks up-at-5!
    Fade to Grey Farm

Quote Originally Posted by GAEventer View Post
    I'm going to take measurements tomorrow, and investigate Just Bridles. Hadn't heard of them before!

I have tried some of the Nunn Finer bridles, and the fit still isn't great.
    Just Bridles is great and I recommend them, but depending on which Nunn Finers you tried, you may still want to try the NF bridle that folks are talking about here. Long story short, the Nunn Finer Event Bridle, Custom Event Bridle, and Figure 8 are coming from Bartville Harness Shop in Pennsylvania. Almost all of their other bridles (Lamplight, Galway, Modena, etc.) are coming from overseas, and they're sized differently than the Bartville ones.

I scanned the 2011 catalog to facilitate an order among my friends. The prices are old/irrelevant, but the measurements are still accurate. If you order directly from Bartville, the prices are in the neighborhood of $95-$115 per headstall + the cost of reins if you need those too.
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps7a4dffaa.jpg

Do they have decent arabian sized bridles anywhere? Maybe one of those would fit from an arab catalog.

Just bridles is awesome. My horse needs oversize nose and brow ands but slightly shorter cheek pieces I usually have to have my cheek pieces cut and the buckles moved down. I have had entire bridles altered for $30 but I have a lovely leather shop down the road which makes it easy for me to do so good luck. Those odd sized ponies are hard to fit.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

I've never had a horse that fit a regular H size bridle... I've always had to swap out Cob cheek pieces. Such a pain! What long-faced TB are they basing things on these days?

Just kidding about the TB thing
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Yep, same with brow bands. They never seem to be long enough!

Bartville will custom make anything you want. Check over at the hunting forum. Lots of threads and posts about them. Beautiful workmanship, quick turn-around, and less expensive since you are dealing directly with the maker.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Look at bridles designated for quarter horses. They usually have a horse sized browband and noseband, with cob sized cheek pieces. I used to buy these for my old paint. Otherwise I always had to have the cheek pieces shortened.

And just to be a good enabler today, check out the fabulous sale on Vespucci bridles through Easter Sunday. They have raised padded bridles in QH size. Of course, the reins will be a bit long. With the 65% off, it makes a bridle about $133, including reins. Regular cob, horse, and oversize available as well. There has been a nice thread on this sale over in the H/J forum. I purchased leather boots a few weeks ago and just bought a bridle last week (that I certainly didn't need, lol)

http://worldequestrianbrands.shptron...cci?pp=12&pg=3

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I've never had a horse that fit a regular H size bridle... I've always had to swap out Cob cheek pieces. Such a pain! What long-faced TB are they basing things on these days?

Just kidding about the TB thing
    That's what I want to know! Most of my bridles are on the top or next-to-top hole on my TBs! My dressage bridles seem to be a little better than my hunt seat bridles. I believe my Bobby's hunt bridle also is not on the top holes, but I'd have to check. When I started riding dressage and needed to use an O ring bit I thought I'd never find a bridle with short enough cheeks, but I found a Whitman bridle. It didn't even need to be on the top holes. I've never seen an English Whitman bridle since.
    You'd think cob browbands would actually be wider than horse size.

Try Five Star Tack as well. Very nice bridles, won't kill your wallet, will swap out pieces no problem.
    "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Just Bridles is great and I recommend them, but depending on which Nunn Finers you tried, you may still want to try the NF bridle that folks are talking about here. Long story short, the Nunn Finer Event Bridle, Custom Event Bridle, and Figure 8 are coming from Bartville Harness Shop in Pennsylvania. Almost all of their other bridles (Lamplight, Galway, Modena, etc.) are coming from overseas, and they're sized differently than the Bartville ones.

I scanned the 2011 catalog to facilitate an order among my friends. The prices are old/irrelevant, but the measurements are still accurate. If you order directly from Bartville, the prices are in the neighborhood of $95-$115 per headstall + the cost of reins if you need those too.
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps7a4dffaa.jpg
    I've tried these :/ A friend of mine buys hers from Bartville (and we knew that they were the ones Nunn Finer was selling), so I know the pieces they sell don't fit. I supposed I could talk to them about custom, but they can take forevvvver to ship stuff.
    Fade to Grey Farm

Default John Jernigan makes custom bridles...

...give Mary Bess a call - John has made all of her good bridles - gorgeous and fit perfectly. Rasta's getting one as he too has a head too large for a cob size but too small for horse size.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan