The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

there is also an app by Equisketch or something like that for Iphone where you can draw your tests. it's about 5$

riding from memory got me inside my head and made me ride better. That said,I rarely rode varied tests, I only did the highest test of the level.

Walking the rug was my trick. I also remembered by block of movements not the precise letter by letter. Most tests are logical and symmetrical. This was the same way I learned jump courses. Read many tests and seek to understand why and how the figures are made as they are. The logic of how a movement sets up the next movement.

At most shows there are plenty of folks around, friends of other riders, who are most willing to read, if asked. I have never been to a show where they provide a reader ( and usually a tip jar, so I hear) so one always scrounged. I did a lot of reading for my trainer and was always willing to read for others when asked.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

I find the only way to really memorize the tests is to do them over and over again. Because I don't want the horse to memorize it (they start guessing what comes next which makes your life harder), I simply do them myself!

I put up a mock arena in my living room lined with string, and then I just do the test as if I were ridding... I must look completely moron, but it works!

Oh yes horses learn tests and can start getting ahead of you.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

There are some great ideas, thanks for sharing your experiences.
    I haven't practiced enough for the horse to get ahead of me :-0

I had test #1 in my mind, then I started looking at #2 and when I got to the arena to ride... pretty much forgot both! ugh.
    Maybe one at a time, don't know how people do it on multiple horses/ levels.

I suppose I have to rip up the rug at home more.... and check out those other apps and stuff!

( I read for someone at a schooling show- and every rider after scurried right up and asked me to read. The image of their terrified faces is still with me, lol)...

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    I find the only way to really memorize the tests is to do them over and over again. Because I don't want the horse to memorize it (they start guessing what comes next which makes your life harder), I simply do them myself!
    To each their own but IMO it is a very bad idea not to ride the test through in training at this level. If you are training your horse properly you teach them to wait for your aids and stringing together the tests from 3rd level and above is by far the most challenging part. The movements are simple on their own, they become a FAR greater challenge when you must do them in succession at the proper place without stopping to school. The more familiar you are with the test as a pair the better.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    Umm...granted I haven't done a lot of this, but I actually walk, trot and canter around a rectangle in my living room.
    This is what I do! Always helps me. I also keep the tests separate in my head by which way my turn off the centerline is. That might be confusing but it works for me! Also, a lot of tests are fairly symmetrical, so I kind of keep tally of what movements I've done, and it helps me remember what is still to go - if that makes sense.
    "There are times when you can trust a horse, times when you can't, and times when you have to."