The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Not meaning to hijack, but I'd like to know people's opinion on the best jumper trainer in both Northern CA and in CA altogether. I know CA is huge, but I'm curious who are considered to be the top jumper trainers on the West Coast.

Hmm, not sure I want my horse in barbed wire. He's accident-prone enough as is.

Want to check out Webb Farm... Portola Farm... Glenoaks

Does the Portola Valley Training Center offer a pasture board separate from the individual barns...similar to the way the Horse Park does?

Stanford looks really nice but more than I want to pay right now
    Last edited by Mayelix; Apr. 11, 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayelix View Post
    Hmm, not sure I want my horse in barbed wire. He's accident-prone enough as is.

Want to check out Webb Farm... Portola Farm... Glenoaks

Does the Portola Valley Training Center offer a pasture board separate from the individual barns...similar to the way the Horse Park does?

Stanford looks really nice but more than I want to pay right now
    In the six years I have done pasture board, I have never seen a barbed wire accident and that's at three different facilities. The herds in the HP pasture are small (10-13 horses) and the pasture is huge. The reality is if you want pasture board in the Bay Area, you have to be okay with barbed wire. All of the pasture land belongs to Stanford, so maybe changes aren't allowed to be made. Stanford is notoriously strict about what changes can be made to the facilities.

The training center does not offer pasture board, they only have turnouts. I don't know how often they are used because every time I've driven by, I've never seen horses in them. Boarding at the Training Center will cost you an arm and a leg. I looked at it before I moved to Stanford. The trainer I was considering gave me two rate sheets, one for their barn and the other for the TC. All told, it was about 2K to board there.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

No pasture board at PVTC, you have to be in training with one of the barns to board there and there are no pastures unfortunately. It's a great training facility overall but the turnouts are really subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    This is what I tried to point out in an earlier post. Mixed herd pastures fenced w/barbed wire are an accident waiting to happen, especially when horses are coming and going out of the field constantly and new horses are being introduced.
    New horses are introduced to the herd via a pen in the pasture. In the eight months I've been there, three horses have been added to the herd, and there were no issues what so ever with the new horses coming in. It took all of 30 seconds for my mare to be integrated into the herd. It's really not that big of a deal.

So for pasture board at the horse park, its $470 which includes just hay/pasture right? If my horse needs more than that to maintain his weight, will they feed grain/supplements (that I provide) or would I need to do that myself?
    Do you have to pay for membership as well, or is that included in the board? Then $100 per lesson for training. Are you allowed to jump if not in a lesson/with a trainer?
    Last edited by Mayelix; Apr. 11, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

If you are looking for pasture board and/or turnout, I would try Rancho Viejo. It is right next to Portola Valley Training Center. They have large stalls, some with runs. Decent sized flat turnouts and acres of pastures. They aslo have tons of trails. The facility is not the most beautiful, but they are making improvements and someone lives on the property full time. Lee Hughes/Bridgeport Farms is currently at the horse park, but is moving there. She is great and is currently bringing up her own young jumper in the 5yr olds as well as a few other jumpers in the barn. Board & training is very reasonable there.

Another option is Sterling View Farms/Matt Sereni in Morgan Hill. They have an amazing facility with tons of pasture land, but it may be a little far south for you.

I cannot not say enough good things about either of the above options.

Morgan Hill is a little further than I want to travel, unfortunately... about 55 min south.

Does Rancho Viejo have a website? I can't find contact info or really anything about them other than their dressage program.

Quote Originally Posted by NorcalDiamond View Post
    If you are looking for pasture board and/or turnout, I would try Rancho Viejo. It is right next to Portola Valley Training Center. They have large stalls, some with runs. Decent sized flat turnouts and acres of pastures. They aslo have tons of trails. The facility is not the most beautiful, but they are making improvements and someone lives on the property full time. Lee Hughes/Bridgeport Farms is currently at the horse park, but is moving there. She is great and is currently bringing up her own young jumper in the 5yr olds as well as a few other jumpers in the barn. Board & training is very reasonable there.
    The one thing I don't like about Rancho Viejo is they do not allow hay there. They feed cubes, and don't even like people to bring hay if they are trailering in for a schooling show. There is also a long wait list for a stall/paddock combination so you have to move into a stall first. I do like the low key atmosphere there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayelix View Post
    So for pasture board at the horse park, its $470 which includes just hay/pasture right? If my horse needs more than that to maintain his weight, will they feed grain/supplements (that I provide) or would I need to do that myself?
    Do you have to pay for membership as well, or is that included in the board? Then $100 per lesson for training. Are you allowed to jump if not in a lesson/with a trainer?
    Actually, it's $450 for the pasture, and they feed hay twice a day. Even after the nice spring grass dries up, there is still plenty for them to graze on throughout the summer and fall. The Horsepark staff does not feed supplements, but there are guys that come in and feed for a nominal fee.

Unfortunately, you do have to purchase a membership even though you board there. The good news is you don't have to be in a lesson or with a trainer to jump, there just has to be someone else around.

I have no idea how far this is from where you'll be, but I trained with Nicole Carroll at La Jolla Equestrian center for about a year and love her. She's fair, firm, and fun. No pasture or all day turnout at La Jolla but it is there, and the vast majority of Nicole's stalls are stall/paddock combos. And La Jolla has 30 acres of orchard which is privately owned trails. Only reason I left was because I decided jumping was not what I wanted to pursue.

Also, Joy Parker at Sunny Hill Farm over in Walnut Creek. I trained with her for around 6 months and loved her and the atmosphere at Sunny Hill is awesome, although there's limited turnout and no trails.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    New horses are introduced to the herd via a pen in the pasture. In the eight months I've been there, three horses have been added to the herd, and there were no issues what so ever with the new horses coming in. It took all of 30 seconds for my mare to be integrated into the herd. It's really not that big of a deal.
    I had a horse that briefly lived in the pasture there at one point, and while it was a kick injury not barbed wire, I ended up with about $2k in vet bills and a horse that could not be ridden for 6 weeks.

A horse died in the pasture a couple of years back, IIRC they thought it ran into a tree branch and had a massive head injury.

Do what you want with your horse, but I'd never put one I actually liked or that was worth any $$$ in the horsepark pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    I had a horse that briefly lived in the pasture there at one point, and while it was a kick injury not barbed wire, I ended up with about $2k in vet bills and a horse that could not be ridden for 6 weeks.

A horse died in the pasture a couple of years back, IIRC they thought it ran into a tree branch and had a massive head injury.

Do what you want with your horse, but I'd never put one I actually liked or that was worth any $$$ in the horsepark pasture.
    My horse got a mysterious injury and was laid up for weeks while boarded at Stanford. Injuries happen no matter where a horse lives.

The living conditions are horses have are entirely up to us. I'd much rather have my horse living as a horse should than wrapped in bubble wrap and standing around in a small space all day. It's all a matter of personal preference.

After running cross country, I don't have to wrap her legs or hand walk her, I simply turn her out. Very convenient and I don't worry about making sure her legs are okay because moving around is the best thing for them.

I will also add that my mare is a much easier ride since she has been in pasture. She moves around all day to graze and has herd mates for companionship, I couldn't ask for anything more.

I don't think that Rancho Viejo has a website, but if you send me a PM, I can put you in touch with Lee Hughes. She has been going over there frequently to check on the progress of the updates before she moves her horses over. Maybe you can meet her, check out her program and also go and check out the facility.