The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Placentitis

My Don Alfredo mare was diagnosed with placentitis at 237 days. I'm a stickler for checking my mares over every day and I noticed she was starting to make a bag. Literally started overnight so I called the vet and she felt we caught it very early. Put Claudia on SMZs, banamine and Regumate. Vet also took a culture to see if we could narrow things down a bit. Five days later it came back and she definitely had an infection brewing and it was resistant to the SMZs so vet gave the mare a shot of Excede. The udder swelling finally started to go down. It's now 20 days since diagnosis, mare is at 257 days and her udder is swelling again with edema both fore and aft of the teats. She had her second shot of Excede on Saturday, she's still on a low dose of banamine (3cc a day) and of course the Regumate.

Of course it's after hours and vet hasn't called back yet, mare looked good late this morning when I left for work so this latest swelling is new. Any and all suggestions, encouragement, and just plain hand holding would be much appreciated. Claudia is bred to Wild Dance and I'm really looking forward to this foal.
    Last edited by Fourbeats; Mar. 20, 2013 at 08:27 AM.

wish I had some advice for you, sending jingles and virtual hand holding, tho

you might want to contact Kathy @ Equine Reproduction if she doesn't chime in here, she's "da bomb" when it comes to info, advice and general hand holding, and talked me down from the ledge when my mare bagged up at 301 days....

good luck!!

3 members found this post helpful.

It's very scary!! My last foal in 2009 was born early due to Placentitis. Of course we didn't find out until we were around day 275 in which we placed her on regumate & SMZ. Due to that treatment we were able to keep her pregnant until 309. When Freyja came she was a typical red-bag delivery & wasn't easy to get out with out us helping at each contraction. Unfortunately, Freyja wasn't able to stand within three hours & was rushed to LLAC.
    This is her story:

http://www.acadiaequinerehab.com/tes...re-foal-freyja

Freyja just turned 4 yesterday & I'm so glad she survived but it was a choice from the heart!!

Now saying all that Freyja will be bred this spring to Imothep & I'm looking forward to a lovely foal.

Best of the luck to you!! And Jingles!!!!
    Last edited by jenbrin; Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM.

What about starting her on Pentoxifylline?
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

1 members found this post helpful.

I wonder if she is now resistant to Excede. It is supposed to be dosed far more frequently than every 20 days--the schedule my vet uses is the second dose four days following the first and every subsequent dose six days following. Another culture/sensitivity might be indicated?

Good luck! I hope she responds to treatment soon!

Second the Pentoxifylline. Jingling for your mare!
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

I'm sorry, the first post is a little confusing. The 20 days is since she was first diagnosed. The second dose of Excede was given 7 days after the first dose. Vet will be out today and I will ask about Pentoxifylline.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourbeats View Post
    I'm sorry, the first post is a little confusing. The 20 days is since she was first diagnosed. The second dose of Excede was given 7 days after the first dose. Vet will be out today and I will ask about Pentoxifylline.
    Here is the package insert for Excede:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/excede-ster...or-horses.html

Note the dosing requirements. I would not be comfortable with a 7 days dosing schedule...seems like it could be a recipe for resistance

After losing a beautiful foal to NI following placentitis, I learned that NI can cause placentitis. I'd be sure to have mare & foal checked out before foal can nurse just to be sure.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Watch for reactions with Excede. My mare's neck swelled up so much that it was pressing on her spinal cord and caused neurological symptoms. My vet doesn't use it any more due to reactions like I experienced.

When you have to use it, you have to use it, but do keep an eye on the mare.

Also.. make SURE you are there for delivery. Red bag deliveries are common in cases of placentitis.

I'm sorry it's taken me a bit to get back to this thread. I've just been diagnosed with renal cancer so my world topsy turvy at the moment.

My vet did come out but I was at work so I wasn't able to talk to her. I had left a message with the tech about the other options so she was aware of my concerns.

She gave the mare a third shot of Excede which would make it four days after the second shot and is running a new culture. The udder has gone down again so maybe things are improving. I'll be calling again on Monday to see what our next plan of action is.

I am watching for neck swelling and so far everything looks good.

We do plan on being there for the delivery due to the dangers of a red bag. In a perfect world I would send her off for foaling but financially, I don't think that's going to be an option now so I'll probably be counting on Marestare to get us through this.

Off to look at barn cameras.

Jingles for you and your mare. Thinking positive in PA
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook