The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I understand people who don't know stuff. What I continue to be astonished by is people who are crazy misinformed and are adamant about it.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

2 members found this post helpful.

Ahhh, fly bonnets. I love that. I get asked why my horses are blindfolded all of the time. It is just getting old now.

I also get the "why do you need lessons, don't you already know how to ride?" comment a lot. I don't know how to respond anymore.

I had someone at work ask me what kind of horses I have the other day. I told her I have an Oldenburg and a Percheron/Tb. Her response was, I am not even going to pretend I know what those are. That did make me laugh.

1 members found this post helpful.

I got tired of the questions with the fly masks, I finally wrote in a black sharpee on my horse's fly mask her name. But still they ask, but less.

I am getting a new fly mask that I ordered. I think I may put on it, "I bite", instead of her name. ha ha. I am also getting a fly mask to ride in, but black sharpee will not show up since it is a black color and very see through.

One christmas my non-horse mom asked me what I wanted for christmas. I told her I wanted a saddle pad. She looked at me as if I had asked for a $ex toy. She turned beet red, including her neck, and so did her live in gal pal too. A week or so later I took a catalog and SHOWED her what a saddle pad was. She was like, "ohhhhh", in a very small voice.

5 members found this post helpful.

I have five mares at home, two light bay, two dark bay, and one chestnut. My husband, who tolerates the horses, can never tell any of them apart, except for the chestnut. And do you know how he knows the chestnut mare? Not because of her colour. Because she's the one that is pin-fired! Go figure.

I once mentioned to my team at work that I was going to be working from home one day so I could pop out to the barn for the horse chiropractor appointment. One of my teammates asked "how do you adjust a horse?" I responded "Well, she stands on a ladder." My coworker didn't miss a beat...

"How do you get the horse to stand on a ladder?"

4 members found this post helpful.

My co-workers say "it must be SO relaxing to ride a horse"

I guess they think it's the horse that does all the work.....

My father " riding isn't excersise."

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    One christmas my non-horse mom asked me what I wanted for christmas. I told her I wanted a saddle pad. She looked at me as if I had asked for a $ex toy. She turned beet red, including her neck, and so did her live in gal pal too. A week or so later I took a catalog and SHOWED her what a saddle pad was. She was like, "ohhhhh", in a very small voice.
    ROFLMAO! I think I just piaffed! I have NO idea what she was thinking there, but it does seem you were not thinking of the same thing...!!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by californianinkansas View Post
    My non-horsey husband always refers to the horse blankets as "jackets." The geldings have "winter jackets" (winter waterproof turnout blankets) and "rain coats" (lightweight waterproof turnout blankets).
    My SO calls halters "necklaces" - maybe cause my horses are mares??
    Sandy in Fla.

My mom has asked DH and I on numerous occasions why we don't breed our girl horse to our boy horse...

Every time we have to explain that the "boy horse" is actually called a gelding and that means he has been "neutered."

Oh and also our gelding is very closely related to our mare which she also knows
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by hasahorse View Post
    My husband attempted to explain sheath cleaning in his office one day. I think we all can guess the outcome....
    You have one BRAVE husband! Unless he was trying to get a reaction! :-)
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina_32926 View Post
    My SO calls halters "necklaces" - maybe cause my horses are mares??
    When my niece was 8 or 9 or so, she would request that the mares wear their "tiaras" when she came to visit (and get pony rides, of course). Tiara = crytstal browband in 9yo-girl-speak. (I was impressed that she used tiara rather than crown. )
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

My mom still tells people I have an Appendage Quarter Horse!

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

My non horsey DH has gotten better over the years we've had our horse, but, a few months after we got our OTTB he stepped out of the aisle at the tack store jingling a twitch, eyes alight with interest, "What's this for?" Observing the awkward body language of several female customers and staff he looked at me with horror, "You don't put it on his Jones, do you?"

Another time, in the middle of the day when we were the only customers, the serene quiet of the store was broken by a series of sharp whip cracks, a lull, then pop! pop! pop! more whip cracks. This continued as the store owner, her daughter and myself looked at each other, then headed to the room where they're displayed. It's a fairly large, long room with most of the merchandise along the walls. Yep. He felt the large open space was obviously set up for whip testing (best crack) since the container that held them was at the end of a bench in the 'boot area'. The L-shaped bench to try boots on (positioned like a chevron) was where you stood for a perfect back sweep and the carousel of socks halfway across the room the target point. He had keepers and reject piles going. The store owner, bless her heart, handled it with aplomb, intrigued by the way his mind worked. Next time we were in there the layout was changed.

An just recently I finished grooming my gelding in the aisle and DH asked if he was all set. I nodded, kneeling down and putting my brushes in my tack tray. DH unclips the cross ties, says "kennel in" and I hear the grain room door open. I look up to see my gelding roll a mischievous eye at me and start heading for the wide open barn doors. I caught his halter and turned him around. DH steps out of the grain room, nonplussed his command wasn't obeyed, watching me walk him into his stall and secure the stall guard. "He knows what I mean." I give DH a look and take off his halter. "This is such bullsh!t. He knows." My gelding sticks his head out of his stall, licking his lips and making bambi faces for a treat. DH glares. "No." Angry eyes and a head toss that perfectly communicates a rude gesture. "Oh. Now you understand me? Is that it? Well, no kennel in? No meatballs or yahtzees for you!"

(meatballs=Pink Pony Peppermint treats, yahtzees=Withers & Withers sugar cubes)
    Last edited by OnThinIce; Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: clarification
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

4 members found this post helpful.

I trained my husband's horse before giving him to my dearest beloved. He has learned now, but on more than a few of our early trail rides, I would turn around and catch my husband letting his horse eat grass. My dear husband said, "What? He's hungry!". I scolded both of them.

OnThinIce, I think your DH is funnier than my guy! I'm in tears, I can visualize that. My guy would only do half of that!! My fiancé loves to let our gelding loose and point to the stall, give me a look and say "He knows!" Annnd, maybe he does. But he also knows treats are in the trunk near the stall and the grain room is down the other way.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

My non-horsey coworker asked how I could tell the horses apart if they're all turned out in a herd....I replied, "The same way you can tell which kids are yours when they're in a group of other kids!"

And of course, the ever-popular, "What kind of horse do you have?" "A quarter horse." "A quarter horse? What else is he?" Or, "What breed of horse do you have?" "A Thoroughbred." "But what breed of thoroughbred?"

Hahaha!

I've found that I have to stop and really think hard about how to explain horsey things to non horsey people. Mostly so they don't think I'm completely insane.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

My really tolerant husband has allowed me to convert a spare bedroom into a tack storage area. Sport is on stall rest, so I brought home a lot of his stuff. Included with this was a spare pair of stirrup leathers. Mr. Sport sees me comng in with them and was really excited that I had brought him home a new belt.
    I think the worst part is, he has actually been wearing one of them as his belt.

I have had a couple of different coworkers explain to me that there are different breeds of Thoroughbred. (insert exasperation here)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

When I was working at the track and my mother came to visit, she asked why the horses were wearing "socks" (bandages) in their "rooms" and why some even wore "socks" (brace bandages or polos if warming up) when they raced.