The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Putting on Woof DOUBLE Lock Brushing Boots?

Just ordered the Double Lock brushing boots from Smartpak today Quick question though... How do you reccomend putting them on since i know you are not suspose to pull against the tendon/ligaments where the double strap is and i heard the velcro can be a pain until you get used to it.. Thanks in advance!
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

I put them on so that the tab, the first time that you connect tab with velcro is pointed to the butt. The Second tab that secures that initial connection goes over top of them, but it is not pulled it is just paced.

Does that make sense? The second velcro strap really does not have connection where it would be putting incorrect pressure on the tendons. It is just a tab to secure the initial connection.

Edited to add: They are actually pretty simple to put on the horse, the only thing that I hate about them is that they stick to more things because of the extra velcro.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I do it the same way as FLEventer. I actually looked it up on the woof website when I got them because I wasn't 100% certain

Same. I love mine, they've lasted forever!
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

Yes, I first put them on 'backwards' with the outer tape going towards the back of the horse - I was corrected in short order. And once you have them on correctly you realize that's how the inside protection is designed to cover properly. So inside velcro goes 'back', and the outer tabs come forward.

They lasted forever with daily use.

Thanks so much guys! For some reason I thought the straps were built the opposite way and was concerned. Thanks for the clarity!
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

Same way as above. The under flap is the pressure flap so it goes bk. The top is just to secure. .
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Ah these boots break my old Pony Club rule --"straps to the back". Love the boots, hate the straps! I buy the single locks anymore. Too much velcro for my arthritic knuckles.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I have these boots as well and love them! I've had them almost 8 years and aside from being faded and scuffed, they are in great condition!

Quick question, because I've seen this done both ways... Do you guys put them on so that the initial tab overlaps the velcro, ie: the left tab folds over the right, OR do you put them on so that the right side overlaps the left, so that all of the bottom velcro layer is covered, rather than overlapped? I've heard people say you should do the latter, so that all of the velcro is covered, and I've also heard people say you should always fold the left side over the right... going along with the 'point to the back' rule. Gosh I hope that makes sense... I wish I could draw a picture!

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Ah these boots break my old Pony Club rule --"straps to the back". Love the boots, hate the straps! I buy the single locks anymore. Too much velcro for my arthritic knuckles.
    I hear you retread!

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I thought the same thing at first thats why i made this thread. But like the first post said, the strap that comes forward is not the strap you put the pressure on, juut the double lock. I had the same worry you had becuase ive always been told, and always follow the strap to the back rule as well.

I detest double lock velcro. I'd rather tape if I don't feel the boot is secure enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tyjrz4uAxk

Just found this video- she even talks about the pony club rule. This clears eveyrthing up. If i dont like the boots as we all should know, Smartpak has a great return policy!

You may find you have to trim the velcro tabs mine are all to long!!!