The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default feeding antibiotic capsules

Hello, I am giving my mare 30 days of the antibiotic Minocycline for Lyme disease. I could have sworn the vet said I could open the capsules and pour the powder directly into the feed. She has been eating it all but now I am suddenly wondering if the effectiveness is decreased if the meds are not taken in capsule form. I don't want to waste time or money and could (will) call the vet if I get no response from you all. I just feel silly that my mind is fuzzy and I cannot remember the exact conversation. I doubt if she would eat the capsules anyway so maybe breaking them open is the only option?
    Thanks!
    Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

Opening capsules is fine, as long as they are not coated to get the drug through the stomach. If they're just the standard gel capsule, you have no worries

Technically best on an empty tummy as divalent cations like magnesium and calcium can decrease the absorption. That being said, the PI for the drug even says that you can give with food, so it's a little contradictory. I guess I would say monitor for response to treatment and if the horse isn't getting better consider giving the minocycline at least 2 hours apart from feeding time.

There is no problem opening the capsules and putting the powder on the feed though. We do that for humans all the time Just got to make sure they eat the entire amount so you get the whole dose in.

When I had to give my horse tablets, I was drilling a hole in a piece of carrot and inserting the pills. Worked a treat. I knew he was getting all the medication and he never realised he was being dosed!

Considerably more challenging when you are administering 20+ capsules or tablets, however!

Very true, visorvet

Quote Originally Posted by visorvet View Post
    Considerably more challenging when you are administering 20+ capsules or tablets, however!
    or worse, 50 pills 2x/day !!!

Yucko. I wonder if a compounding pharmacy could make something more palatable/easier to administer? They can buy the drugs directly as a powder and flavor. I know we've all been ragging about lack of sterile prep for injectable but since this is an oral medication it would be much lower risk.

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    Yucko. I wonder if a compounding pharmacy could make something more palatable/easier to administer? They can buy the drugs directly as a powder and flavor. I know we've all been ragging about lack of sterile prep for injectable but since this is an oral medication it would be much lower risk.
    This is what I used, but it was doxycycline, from the vet. It was a powder with, I think, a little peppermint flavor. All it took was 1 little scoop that was provided. He got it with a little grain and we didn't have any problems. BTW, it was a 6 week course, and my horse has been fine ever since.