The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mattes Pads

Has anyone ever bought anything from www.eshop.us? I want to make sure it's reputable before I buy anything, because the price almost looks too good to be true.

Also, is the back trim on a half pad really necessary, or is it used to look better?

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you mean epshop.us? If so, yes, I purchased from them a couple years ago. My transaction if I remember right was through ebay but he was very helpful and called me to go over what size pad I would need based on my saddle. I plan to buy one from him again.

Awesome, thanks. They're almost $100 cheaper than they were on Smartpak or Dover so I'm a little hesitant.

Check the dressage forum - several people ordered their pads there and had good reviews.

There are plenty of eventers that also bought from this website and were very pleased.

Equusnow is also offering custom mattes pads along with a $50 gift certificate, in some of the configurations it is cheaper through them, in others it is cheaper through the german company.

I just received my euro pad, ordered about a month ago. Beautiful quality (truly Mattes) and great price. Thinking about another...
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Quote Originally Posted by localmanruinseverything View Post
    Has anyone ever bought anything from www.eshop.us? I want to make sure it's reputable before I buy anything, because the price almost looks too good to be true.

Also, is the back trim on a half pad really necessary, or is it used to look better?
    I haven't ordered there personally, but have heard of good experiences with them from others. As far as the back trim on half pads... in general it's really personal preference... but I had one horse that for whatever reason, when I used my half pad with just a pommel roll it wouldn't stay centered (I've never had that issue with any other horse, regardless of saddle fit). When I rode the same horse is the same tack except with a mattes pad that did have the back fleece trim, it stayed put. So I'd stay a potential benefit of the back trim would be more stability, but other than that one case, I've never had issues with pads with just the pommel roll

FYI-there was a discussion about this on the horse grooming supplies forum recently. There was a small issue with 2 of the pads being shipped incorrect. It appears a lot of pads were being purchased by members after a certain member posted a gorgeous picture of her custom euro fit pad. Anyway, the owner of the company actually joined the forum and answered questions, and made the 2 mistakes right. One wasn't actually a mistake. After reading his posts and witnessing his customer service skills, I am going to order 2 pads without hesitation just as soon as county comes out and reflocks my saddle. He also updated the new colors for 2013, and provided some color translations for those of us looking for certain colors and having a hard time deciding based on what was on the epshop website. I urge you to check it out if you are thinking of ordering.
    Here is a link to the one thread. There is another very long thread called show me your custom mattes pads. Good luck!

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...op-502684.html
    Last edited by Aaspen; Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Hello-

I'm from the HGS forum (not an admin, just a member, if that makes a difference), and thought I would update this thread and possibly others about the custom German Mattes company, eshop. While he was fantastic for joining our forum and addressing a few of the issues, he has recently stopped posting/emailing back our members about orders they have placed. One was for a large sum $400+ and the other was just one pad I think. He also stopped responding to a member about an exchange, fault on his part for wrong colors. Last we heard from him, he had knowingly changed an order; person ordered a medium pad with plenty of time for it to come because they wanted it for a certain show, he changed it to a large without consulting her because she had added the shimming system. Buyer already had a medium pad w/ shimming system and it fit perfectly, thus wanting another of the same for showing. He reponded, thankfully, after some posts (one of mine included), speaking about how frustrating that would be. Large would be a gift from him, he would send her a medium, but she wouldn't get it in time for the show she ordered it for. I would strongly advise people not to order at this time, and if you are having difficulties to follow up with him and then if no reply, try to get your money back. At HGS we heard you all caught wind of the sale, and I just feel that since I have this new info, I needed to let you all know, since most of you probably don't frequent HGS. It might be a good idea to follow the thread about the Custom Mattes Pads started by CalabassesPride, as it is linked in the post before mine. You will see me comment a lot on that one, but I do not currently have a horse to buy pads for, so luckily I have not been caught up in the mess. If you have any questions or need me to clarify, I'll keep an eye on this thread for a few days.

Cheers,
    EQMiss
    Abbey&Stork

^in all fairness to him he did offer to let her keep the large pad and he would send another. With all the orders that got put in he is probably really busy.

Quote Originally Posted by GucciJumper View Post
    ^in all fairness to him he did offer to let her keep the large pad and he would send another. With all the orders that got put in he is probably really busy.

It's awesome that he let her keep the large pad, but the lack of communication about orders is what is making me want to warn people. Just want to make sure people are able to make a decision based on all the current information.
    Abbey&Stork

I want to order the correction 1/2 pad - does anybody know what the difference is between the all purpose and the jumping? I've been trying to compare the styles but they look the same to me.

I did about 6 weeks ago and just got my custom pad TODAY!!!! I love it soo much, now I dont want to use it and get it dirty!! They were great and fast too!

Here it is!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...r&notif_t=like

The all purpose pad doesn't have as forward as a "flap" as the jumping. I currently use an all purpose with my saddle and the front part of the pad goes under the saddle instead of along the side. I actually got the jumping pad this time around in my photo above, I am hoping it fits better than the All Purpose!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Love that pad, cswoodlandfairy!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

Waiting for mine! Says it shipped days ago...but not here yet! I am sad! But excited! I know its traveling a long way! I got the Euro cut in grey with mint. Corny I know, but I think it will look nice on my grey mare!

Regarding the back roll – I have a larger saddle, and use a large sized mattes pad that has the front and rear rolls – that back roll is so wide! It sticks out at least an extra two inches beyond my saddle – and that also means two inches beyond any square pad I am using under it.

If I were to buy another, I would go with the front roll (keeps pad in place) and not do the rear roll. They look nice, but in my case at least, negatively affects the fit of the pad.

AP versus jumping: I think the jump half pad works if your saddle flaps are really cut forward. If you have a jump saddle with straighter flaps, the AP might work better.

I have an Antares jump saddle - I think standard flaps (definitely not forward) and the jump pad jutted out too far in front of the flaps. The AP worked better for me.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I was going to get the jumping, I'm glad I asked, looks like I might want the AP instead. Thanks! I have a county stabilizer so I thought I would want the jumping, but it's not a very forward flap (regular).

Another question, what's the difference between these 2 pads?

http://www.epshop.us/CORRECTION-PADS...-Pad::231.html

http://www.epshop.us/JUMPING/MATTES-...trim::428.html

I want the correction pad so I can get that for an additional $80 on the second pad. So why are the prices different? ($219 vs $239)