The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cancade Farm Closing

I just came from spending the weekend with Loyd and Mel Cancade. They are the nicest people and I am sad to report that their contract was terminated with the drug company and they are getting out of the horse business. All of their stock is for sale. I just bought two horses from them and have my eye on two more. Really sad...

Wow - that is too bad. I've bought 3 foals from them.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.
    My wonderful mare came from their program.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Does anyone know how many of these farms breeding draft cross sporthorses are still operating in Canada? I have heard at one time that the PMU ranches numbered in the hundreds, but that now there are only about 65 or so left.

I have heard several horsemen comment lately that horse prices are going to increase dramatically within a few years, in part because of this trend but also because so many breeders have cut back in the economy.

HOWEVER, they do emphasize that prices will only increase IF jobs come back (and of course this is probably not going to happen any time soon).

Just interesting following the trends.

I think from what I read they are cutting down to 25 producers (last year I think there were still around 60?)

I'm guessing some of the farms that are cut will continue trying to breed if they can continue to sell at their price point.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

There are 25 farms that are still in the program. From what I have been told, the farms that have been cut from the program are getting out of the horse breeding business. They simply can't make a living selling foals for $1000.00 (plus or minus) without another source of income. The Cancades are selling all of their stock.

Discouraging....and ominous.

Thanks for the input.

I could sell my mare multiple times over to other clients of my instructor because of her lovely disposition and ridability.

All of the Cancade horses I know personally are wonderful. Very amateur friendly and well suited for hunting and eventing.

Sad to think that a source I would've definitely gone to for another horse isn't available.

Makes me actually contemplate breeding her to a tiny TB to get a 7/8ths-bred for myself... Except she's only 8 and I don't need another horse until it's time for her to retire.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

That is too bad. One of my hunt horses is from there. I had hoped for another in a few years time.

This is an interesting subject.... don't forget to factor in that are money's are so close to even.
    Not only can people not stay in business selling $1000 foals but they can't ship them with virtually no exhange rate and the price of diesel so high.

Less supply of PMU's will mean less chances of finding those "perfect" ones everyone wants. Breeding in bulk under the pmu paycheck allowed for alot of very nice horses to be developed on the drug companies money. Private breeding farms can vouch for the high cost's... PMU farms were able to breed them more like cattle and had a market to get rid of the MANY culls. No private breeder could get thier cost's covered for all the duds/deaths/ accidents that occur in horse breeding. Having worked on a thbd breeding operation i saw the unpleasant side of breeding and also the huge vet bill's.

I recently sold one nice 5yr old hunt prospect for $4500 and thought it good to take the money as opposed to spending the time and fuel and shoeing to actually hunt him.

I have regularly bought weanling draftx's from out west for the past 20 years and raised them to sell. It was really good for along time. Since the economic meltdown the production cost's have risen so high it's more a labor of love. Let's not mention the very high expectations people have and the limited amount of actual work most are prepared to do with a baby.
    Too raise a foal to riding age and hunt it to be sold by say age 5 or 6 **if** it could jump thru all the hoops and the right person was shopping at the right time for 12k is a hard way to make money.

On the bright side maybe more Ottb's will get the chances to become hunt horses.
    Last edited by Snow Princess; May. 24, 2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: my bad spelling again!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a beautiful 3 yr old from Cancade that I just had started. She is a blue roan and has great sport horse conformation with a wonderful attitude...was thinking of selling her (my girls are riding now and I need to get them a pony) but now that they are closing shop, I may just try my best to hang onto her!

Thumbs up just my 2 sense!

Gotta think there are still plenty of Canadian PMU's out there and would be surpised if they are really down to only 25 farms. The source of estrogen has only needed to increase as more women are going on HRT. But Wyeth was recently bought out so that actually may be it. Perhaps there a competitor now or generics are finally in mode. I'm on generic because Premarin (a Wyeth-Ayerst product) was so expensive. Isn't their patten going off soon too. ??
    I bet it's shipping mostly. Unless subsidized; it's unreal. When the farm loses it's contract = so goes the subsidy.

Are the Cancade horses PMU horses? In other words (from who-can-verify Wikipedia):

"The mares, stabled inside for the other 6 months of the year, are restrained in a variety of ways, with plastic urine-collection bags in place. These bags can limit movement on their own, but many of these horses are restrained part or all of the time, further restricting natural movement. Morbidity can result, with infection and other skin injury resulting from the urine bags, and the restriction of movement can also lead to disability. Fluid (water) intake is severely restricted, as well (allowing concentration of the urine, something desired by the drug manufacturer). Most horses have a far shorter life-span in this environment than would be expected."

Are the horses at Cancade kept this way too?

Hard to imagine horse lovers feeling sad the loss of another place that does this to horses? Much less supporting this treatment by buying horses from places like that?

Increased risk of cancer caused by these homone treatments cut their market in half, and I doubt it will rebound as more people see synthetics are available, and animal welfare becomes more important to more people. And we already have excess horses in the US...
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Crickets?

I always thought of PMU farms as being a very bad thing myself. Not a select breeding program.

I believe there are also synthetic options for these women, not sure if this contributed to the decrease.
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

This is not a part of the forum that I frequent, but happened to see Cancade Farms, so checked the thread. There are 30-odd ranches left, 38 were cut just recently, one of them being Cancades.

To hopefully clear up a few things - the mares were housed from October to April but strict guidelines exist for care. Daily turnout is mandatory - sometimes NOT an option in this country as I have tried turning my two horses out in 40 below weather just to do stalls. Pretty tough when you turn one out, go get the other and get run over by the first who is trying to get away from the windchills (I told a rancher that same thing in the spring and he said I should have tried it with 80 mares that wanted back in desperately). There is a reason PMU lines are here - broodmares almost have to be kept up most of the winter if you want healthy foals as horses just cannot eat enough to keep warm outside. Movement is no more restricted than it is in ANY tie stall (also the norm here for stabling - more horses in less space keeps them warmer; typical tie stalls are a shade under half the width of an average box (10X11 or 12) and it is ample room for a horse that gets out every day. Water and feed is NOT restricted, ever. Lack of feed and water causes mares to slip and neither product is available for sale as there is no pregnancy. Collection devices have structural support of surgical tubing and the capture device is made of surgical latex. The whole thing is suspended from a rail system and the mares can move about as freely as any horse can in a tie stall. Any mares with chafing are pulled immediately. I suggest looking at Ag Canada regs and the NAERIC website before believing the nonsense from the ever accurate Wiki...the same Wiki that reports people dead (Gordon Lightfoot comes to mind, and he aint dead) long before their time just because of a rumour; just remember, ANYONE can edit the entries and change them, there are no controls.
    Most PMU ranchers bred good stock, purebred registered stuff that brings decent prices. Most ranchers got into collecting urine as waste management - heard one old timer say something about if they want to pay him for horse piss, he'll go along with it as he had piss to spare. These people raised horses long before PMU lines, at least every single person I know that HAD a line (notice the past tense). Loss of one single line has a huge impact on a community - loss of a few tanks of fuel and a few restaurant meals doesn't mean a lot for those of you who live in the heavily populated east but out here, with towns of 100 people, it makes a huge impact. The people that did continue raising fewer horses are still keeping their horses inside all winter, at least at night and sometimes 3 or more days straight if the weather is really bad (remember, 40 below with winchills that can easily go down to 70 below) and still use the automated feed and watering that was needed with more horses. There really ARE days here when you cannot leave the house because you can get lost in a blizzard; there are times storms rage so hard here you can't see 20 feet , much less the couple of hundred or more to a barn.
    Pfizer bought out Wyeth-Ayerst and made the changes because of better extraction methods and reduced dosages. There are women that do not do well on synthetics or plant based hormones. Some cannot utilise the hormones or are allergic to them so Premarin and it's generics are the only option.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Default videos are up for 2010

Anyone know of any Cancade yahoo groups or websites? I just talked to Lloyd on the phone - I have a gelding he bred who is the most awesome horse I've ever laid eyes on. Perfect amateur horse. I'd love to swap stories and network.

RHATRT, start a facebook page! I will join :-) My 3 year old is now coming 6 and she is the BEST ammy friendly, all arounder I have ever known.