The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I am a graduate from Virginia Intermont and they take excellent care of the horses. Vet is out if anything is wrong and if there's even a chance of serious colic the horse is shipped to Tech no matter what time it is. The vet also teaches classes 2x's a week so he is there to see anything before it escalates. All the horses are fat and happy, with plenty of turnout time. Once they need to retire they often find homes with graduates to live out their days. Most of the riders are good and they won't be put on a horse they can't handle. The dressage coach, Lisa, is awesome.... I wish I could still ride with her. She's vice president of IDA, and has taken the dressage team to nationals every year since she's been at VI. I think this year will be # 13. Barn managers and the rest of the instructors are also great. I am soooo picky about my horses care. I kept him at school with me for 2 years and really wanted to donate him because he was so happy there, unfortunately the timing wasn't good. They are a little selective on donations because so many people want to donate there, but if you are serious I would really keep them as a top choice. Based on the other schools where we competed I would say Tech also has a good team and seems to take good care of their horses. St. Andrews seemed pretty good, really nice turnout there. Centenary also had some nice horses and nice facility. I have a few I wouldn't recommend and wouldn't mind answering any questions you have if you want to pm me.
    Last edited by aefhunter116; Mar. 5, 2013 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I would say to steer clear of the UVM team. I've ridden a few 'cast offs' from them and they all end up lame and/or very, VERY sour. They rode one mare leased to them with bowed tendons (unsure how it happened) but when they FINALLY got the vet out at the insistence of other boarders and he confirmed that the mare was unsound, they chucked her back in her stall with no care because she was useless to them. I got the ride on her a year or so later, and her poor brain was so fried it was sad.
    I didn't know that UVM owns their own horses. They rode Gunar some without any harm.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

At least when I was at school, our horses were rarely used twice in one day. It was generally for one class only. If they were used twice, one was for a low level w/t class.

Classes were light on Fridays, usually only for the competition classes/horses. And the competition horses were assigned to one rider for the semester to develop a relationship with and show.

It may have changed, but overuse was not a regular thing. There were a few isolated incidents but they were usually because of an overzealous student who was riding extra.

I would agree with the others who have mentioned trying leasing first. I went to a school with equine program - and while the care is ok and I wouldn't rule out sending a horse there, there are lots of people interested in leasing that would be able to give your horse the personal attention and turnout that many schools can't offer. As a dressage groom currently looking for a horse to lease, I'm not having much luck and wish there were more people in the dressage community open to the idea of leasing. There are plenty of people in my position (twenty-somethings on a budget) that can offer exceptional homes and a better quality of life than a college program.

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    I didn't know that UVM owns their own horses. They rode Gunar some without any harm.
    They didn't own the mare with the bowed tendons, the owner was generously leasing her to the team.

I did try out a gelding that (I presume) the team owned. He was so mentally and physically d.o.n.e that it took three girls to tack him up because he was so anxious about it. He was rearing/striking/pawing/biting... I passed on him, but felt awful.

Obviously this is just my personal experiences with the team. I did work with two team members a few years ago and both were super nice, but that doesn't really lend much to the management side of things.

I tend to agree with those who say that a one on one home is usually better for a lease situation, but if a college lease program seems to fit what the owner wants and the program will suit the horse then I see no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by .natalie. View Post
    I would agree with the others who have mentioned trying leasing first. I went to a school with equine program - and while the care is ok and I wouldn't rule out sending a horse there, there are lots of people interested in leasing that would be able to give your horse the personal attention and turnout that many schools can't offer. As a dressage groom currently looking for a horse to lease, I'm not having much luck and wish there were more people in the dressage community open to the idea of leasing. There are plenty of people in my position (twenty-somethings on a budget) that can offer exceptional homes and a better quality of life than a college program.
    Well, where are you?

I have a friend with this kind of horse looking for your kind of rider.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Well, where are you?

I have a friend with this kind of horse looking for your kind of rider.
    I'm in MD - you have a PM

You might also ask what the horse will do over the summer when school is out... does it get some down time, pasture if there is no turnout during the school year... or does it do community lessons all summer, etc.

Not Cornell, for sure. People think, "Oh Cornell, how great!" In fact, the actual dressage team uses lesson horses and they are in standing stalls on concrete on their backs legs, and they get ridden by lots of bozos. The feed is ONE SIZE FITS ALL corn gluten crap and cheap, cheap hay. The equestrian team is a jumping team and their coach left and went south and looks like things are going to be unstable for a good while. So put that on your DO NOT DO list.