The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How far would you drive to look at / buy a used trailer?

My friends think I'm nuts for driving almost 4 hours, but that doesn't seem to bad to me considering it's the perfect trailer for me. How far would/have you gone?
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Doesn't seem too long to me, provided the trailer is what you want and you are planning to buy, if it is in the condition advertised. (Which it sounds like you are)
    I wouldn't drive 4 hours just to "look"/waste time though

I went about 3 hours to get mine. It was a great price for an almost new trailer, so definitely worth the trip!

Go get it!

LOL -- I think I will go get it He's actually being really nice and holding it for me because I'm going out of town this weekend. I'm glad I jumped on it. There's a 2-horse of the same brand that's a year younger but not as nice and they are asking the same price, so I think it's a really good deal. Cannot wait!

Anyone drive farther?

I went about 3.5 hours (one way) for mine. I knew exactly what I wanted and was watching CL and other ad sites when it showed up, barely used and for a super price. My hauling it back home put more miles on it, I'm sure, than the original owner did in all her time with it!

A former BO went from SW WA to WY for hers. So more than 4 hours.

I went to S. Alabama to get two of mine...I think it was about 4 hours one way...
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

I drove overnight from Buffalo NY to the VA border which was 6-7 hours one way. I did this on New Years Day and drove into a blizzard coming home. Transmission on my truck crapped out on the way back (we were able to limp home) and needed replacement two days later. But, I got a Brenderup for a song so it was totally worth it.

I drove from Tulsa, OK to Alpharetta, GA to get mine. And negotiated Atlanta traffic with it! It was such a good deal, and it was 95% of what I was looking for and not finding in my area.
    Totally worth it, IMO, if it's the trailer you want.

I would go WAY farther if it was the "mythical unicorn" ideal trailer I'd even buy long-distance sight unseen if I had a trusted friend in the state that could look at the trailer, then get it inspected, then get it shipped.

But the kind of trailer I'm looking for is a very rare bird

So no, I don't think 4 hours is far at all. Think about how MUCH and HOW LONG and HOW IMPORTANT the purchase is. Definitely worth the drive.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Wow... Tulsa to "Alpha-tucky".... what a haul!

Were it not for the trailer we were able to order, we were almost ready to haul out to northern Tennessee for one.

Instead, we picked up our new trailer from the factory in North Carolina. Still a good haul, but very much worth it
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Well, I drove 12 hrs each way...NC to Wellington, FL for my dream trailer. So 4 hours to me is nothing!! I would consider that "local" for a purchase like a trailer.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I think I only went 2 hrs each way for this one, but I'm in a horse-dense area and wanted something common (a modern, tall, wide, two horse). Next time I shop it might be for a late model 2+1 or 4 horse head to head, so I'll have to look harder and maybe go further.

I don't think any drive where you can go there and back in a day is odd. It would want to be something pretty special with sunroof openings for unicorn transport to make me buy it, stay at a motel then come back the next day.

Mine was kinda like snowflake"s... we drove 4 hours on dry roads to get to the trailer... then about 7 hours home in an ice storm... nearing the homestretch my nerves were so rattled I think I was crying begging my husband to please not even think about trying to take the trailer all the way home up our winding ridge road (with steep drop offs) and could we please leave the trailer in town and come back another day when the roads were clear. He must have been a lot more worried than he was letting on because he agreed to my plan. The trailer (6 horse w dressing room) looked SOOO huge and surreal when we parked it next to the library covered in an inch of ice with all the running lights glowing.

It was a used trailer dealer hard sell- "Someone else is interested in it and they are very interested so if you don't come and buy it tomorrow- we will sell to them."

I ordinarily would not fall for such a pitch, but he stated what use the other buyer wanted it for- which was the same exact use as I had- (to be able to haul a vis-a-vis carriage and draft horse inside- and load/unload horse without unloading carriage) only I had never revealed carriage company to him- having scoured ads all over the midwest- I knew he wasn't bluffing when he said a carriage company was interested.

bought it sight unseen from a photo and videos, then had it shipped from TX to VA.

go git your trailer
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

I think it depends on the individual and availability of what you are looking for. I would have no problem driving four hours to look as there is usually nothing in my area.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

I sold a trailer to someone who drove 4-5 hours because it was just what she wanted and had not been able to find one any closer.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Drove the almost 4 hours both ways yesterday. Totally worth it! Love the trailer and cannot wait to use it. The only problem was that my truck and the trailer did not match up for plugs, which I should have thought about. I should have left earlier and bought faster! Ended up driving without brakes and the last 30 minutes in the dark with no trailer lights Very nerve-wracking, but I made it!

1 members found this post helpful.

I drove four hours each way and that trailer is a dream come true, literally. Other people just don't understand
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

As a PSA if anybody finds themselves with mismatched trailer wiring u-haul depots are pretty easy to find across the country and they usually have trailer electric adapters in stock.

Lots of other places sell them too, but most medium sized towns have a u-haul and it's more reliable than picking hardware or car parts stores at random.

OP glad you loved that trailer and got it. Congrats!!!! Now post pics
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Let's see if this works:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...51730998_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...10616543_n.jpg

It has a tiled floor, walk-through to the horse area, hot water, cowboy shower, and cabinets to the right, too (Obviously the bed is to the left.)