The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You know, it's not something I'd ever want to find out unless they had a jail for hermits. The other inmates aren't nice people, by and large.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

3 members found this post helpful.

I think you can become a loner in jail. Sometimes I think it adds to a mystique that keeps you safe. Some prisoners find God, become Buddhists, get sober... all kinds of things that place an emphasis on something bigger and beyond their day-to-day life in prison.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

This is my favourite thread.

I too would like to finish my book. Prison seems like a wonderful place to write - it did wonderful things for Gramsci and Genet.

When my horse is acting up I often think "at least if I have to go to the hospital I can catch up on my sleep" and I suspect jail might provide me with the same opportunity. I could also catch up on my reading - I have far too many books and not very much time. And of course I could revive my letter writing career to finally compete with the de Beauvoir/Sartre correspondence - I used to be an avid and quite talented letter writer until the internet made it a lost art and now all my emails are mostly "lol wtf".

I'd also like to imagine that I'd exercise and get ripped, but I know that won't happen. I am far too lazy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    When my horse is acting up I often think "at least if I have to go to the hospital I can catch up on my sleep"
    Don't count on it... most hospitals do shift-change at some horrible hour of the morning, like 6 or 7. So at 4 or 5 am, you are woken up by the "end of shift" checking, cleaning, etc. Then throughout the day & night, people are always coming & going. You might be sleeping but it's mealtime, wake up!

I was so relieved to GO HOME and SLEEP after I got home from the hospital!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

2 members found this post helpful.

I had a judge sentence me to a week in county jail when I smarted off to him while appearing for driving under suspension, back in my wild and wooly days.

It really wasn't all that horrible. Food sucked but you could order better stuff from commissary. They had an awesome selection of Top Ramen flavors. The guards were super nice so long as you didn't give them any grief. There was a decent library you could check books out from and since this was a tiny rinky-dink small county jail we each had our own cells in women's pod (the guys had to share). The beds were incredibly uncomfortable but when you don't have a choice you learn to deal, same with showering in a group.

I wouldn't call it a fun vacation but it wasn't a horrible traumatizing experience either. For me jail served its purpose, taught me to not be so flippant about traffic laws and respecting judges.

Well, according to a lot of our clients, it's not much fun. However, judging from the number of "frequent flyers" they obviously know how to go to jail quite well. Should I see if I can get you some pointers
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
    I logged in just to post about this book, Orange Is The New Black. I recommend it.

I have a friend who went to prison for dealing drugs when he was in high school. He finished his GED while in prison. Once out, he went to a small college for undergrad. He was my TA in a history class at UNC Chapel Hill...he now has his PhD and is a professor at UNC Charlotte.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Don't count on it... most hospitals do shift-change at some horrible hour of the morning, like 6 or 7. So at 4 or 5 am, you are woken up by the "end of shift" checking, cleaning, etc. Then throughout the day & night, people are always coming & going. You might be sleeping but it's mealtime, wake up!
    That does make the prospect of hospitalization less appealing. Thanks for the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane
    There has to be an explanation for this startling inquiry. We're all waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Now, now you can take off your judgey pants now. One court system is enough for me. KIDDING! Jeez.
    No judgment at all. Just curiosity about what would prompt posting as you did because there are many possible reasons. Same as if someone posted on the Racing forum a question about what performance enhancing substances are undetectable.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    This is my favourite thread.

I too would like to finish my book. Prison seems like a wonderful place to write - it did wonderful things for Gramsci and Genet.

When my horse is acting up I often think "at least if I have to go to the hospital I can catch up on my sleep" and I suspect jail might provide me with the same opportunity. I could also catch up on my reading - I have far too many books and not very much time. And of course I could revive my letter writing career to finally compete with the de Beauvoir/Sartre correspondence - I used to be an avid and quite talented letter writer until the internet made it a lost art and now all my emails are mostly "lol wtf".

I'd also like to imagine that I'd exercise and get ripped, but I know that won't happen. I am far too lazy.
    No sh!t, Gramsci, the theory-head guy, got some writing done in jail?

I think we could from our own Nerd Posse in jail. We'd talk about how the writing was going during meals and the rest of our block would think we were scary/whack.

And we could be workout partners. Heck, if some other woman there could teach me how to make a facial out of the weird supplies one has on hand in prison, life would be complete.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Might be nicer to get committed to a private (not state run) psychiatric hospital I'd think you'd be more likely to have quiet, personal time to work on your manuscript (hell, maybe you'd get a shrink who you could convince it's part of your "therapy"!) and less likely to get 'shanked than in prision...
    Oh yes, tons of time to write and such in a private psychiatric hospital. Nice work if you can get it.

I did/do have a BFF who spent some time in a prison for the criminally insane in New York. She wasn't insane so much as Borderline Personality Disorder which is simply a total PITA to treat and deal with.

Anywho, it sounded like prison.... except for the other inmate who pulled her own teeth out with pliers. Yikes!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Health care is good in prison. The other day my DH had 10 prisoners on his unit. They each come with 2 guards. Plus the families visiting. Sometimes they have 3 guards. One had a bypass. One was dieing from liver cancer but his family didn't want him taken off life support. They were expecting more people to come visit next week. (he's not conscious).

When a councillor told me that the same types of school-yard bullies apply for jobs at the border security, police and jail guards, that was enough for me.
    I feel guilty at the border, even when I'm not.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

And put a foster cat in my jail cell and life would be complete. I know some places have these programs (as well as horse training programs).

Would I have to pose as Anti-Cat and Anti-Horse to get in on this gig?

Honest to God people, if you compared the time I spent on self-imposed house arrest while I wrote my dissertation and jail (with a cat and a horse) Life Wouldn't Look Much Different.

I just want someone else to do the cooking at the dishes and force me to stay on task with my work. Jail would do it for me.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post

I was so relieved to GO HOME and SLEEP after I got home from the hospital!
    Yup - forget about sleeping in the hospital. At least not for more than 3-4 hours at most at a time, if even that.

I can't tell if you mean literal jail or a situation where you have nothing to do but write--no free-access TV, car, or other escape route.

I read somewhere that the Rolling Stones' original manager once locked Mick and Keith out of the toilet until they wrote a song. Whether or not he force-fed them tea at the same time, I don't know.

Have you ever read/seen I Capture the Castle or Strong Poison? In the first, the protagonist imprisons her author father in the family bailey until he starts writing another novel; in the second the heroine, imprisoned for murder (falsely), attempts to write another mystery novel.
    Rack on!

Since I have a strong preference not to be raped, I think I'll stay out of prison, thank you.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

4 members found this post helpful.

I have worked in the prison system for the past 15 years... and I often say that the way the state is going, living there is going to have to be my retirement plan. Its appealing but I would recommend beating up your roommate right away. After your time in segregation, you would probably be "red tagged" and then wouldnt get a roommate.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    No sh!t, Gramsci, the theory-head guy, got some writing done in jail?

I think we could from our own Nerd Posse in jail. We'd talk about how the writing was going during meals and the rest of our block would think we were scary/whack.

And we could be workout partners. Heck, if some other woman there could teach me how to make a facial out of the weird supplies one has on hand in prison, life would be complete.
    The Prison Notebooks and his letters! Prison really stepped things up in terms of political theory and philosophy. Considering this tremendous intellectual growth and its subsequent influence on Marxism, cultural studies, cultural theory, and the lives of countless of grad students, just imagine how prison might enhance our own writings.

And, yes, we can use this as a self-preservation method for sure. 'Stay away from them, all they want to talk about is Judith Butler and Deleuze, they're crazy.'

I'm still not so sure about exercising, but maybe we could do Couch to 5K or something. And then fashion very delicate shanks to do facial extractions.