The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry Need another suggestion on what to do with my ulcer horse

Yep, another issue I have with her and I'm hopping you guys can help me out with this.

She is stabled with a free stall on either side, because this is mainly a stallion facility and a mare in heat doesn't exactly agree with male hormones. She can still see all the other horses as its a row of stalls with metal grades instead of walls separating them. Two stalls from her there is a 3 year old stallion who just came from the fields. I was expecting a lot of excitement from his part, but no, he's just a perfect gentleman. My mare, on the other hand, is apparently, for lack of better wording, a whore.

To avoid breathing problems, one of the grooms usually takes the horses out of their stalls to clean their beds. At the same time, another groom cleans that horse. So a horse is usually out of its stall for about 20/30min before feeding to clean the stalls.

Well, my mare is apparently in love with her neighbor. She would whine at him and call him every time the groomer came to take him out. Because everybody at the yard knows she is ulcer prone (and because we had her recently rescoped for ulcers and she came back positive, again!) and to avoid this they started moving him to the stall next to her and cleaning him there instead of taking him away from her. Very thoughtful and I was really appreciative of (another) management change they made for her. Except for the last two days, my sweet mare decided she wants him as her husband. She must be coming into heat, so she turns her butt at him, pees all over the place, the usual... You can imagine what this is doing to the poor lad's brain!

So on the one side, I have a very distressed animal for taking her buddy away from her. On the other side, I have a recently very hormonal mare who is kept near a 3 y/o stallion!

There are two other stall groups, one is a closed pavilion and the other is where the geldings are. There is no stall available next to the geldings, and the closed pavilion would be great as it only has the breeding mares except it has poor lighting and the stalls are small, so I would like to avoid this at all cost.

What would you suggest?

Is there a nice gelding that can maybe shack up in the stall next to her?

Noup, only two gelding at the property who are also privately owned. The stall where my mare is is huge, and so are the geldings'. But the stalls next to my mare are smaller, and I don't think the owner of those two boys would want to move them to smaller stalls.

Regumate?

Estrus behavior on the mare's part and a reaction by an adolescent stallion are QUITE NORMAL HORSE BEHAVIOR. Just let them be. She will go out of heat in a few days and things will quiet down.

It is not "whore like" for an animal to repond to natural urges to breed, jeez. People get so hung up about mares and stallions.

If the perfectly normal horse behavior is unacceptable, sometimes Vicks vapo-rub applied to the stallion's nostrils a couple times a day can help.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yep, perfectly normal, but probably not to good for her ulcers! I am all for having them be happy flirting with each other, but not when it could end up badly for both of them.

There have been some recent studies showing use of regumate reduce fertility. As its still unsure if I will be breeding her this year, I would prefer to stay clear of it...

Horses with ulcers are not made of glass. Being exposed to other horses, with all the attendant drama, is not necessarily a source of stress TO THE HORSE. Perhaps it is to the handlers. My guess is an animal with a rich social life, including the occasional display of excitement, sexual arousal, aggression, or any other part of normal life is far better off and less "stressed" than one that is isolated from contact with other members of its species.

Methinks you're anthromorphizing a wee bit.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

If you're thinking of breeding her, then breed her. Having her bred and not coming into heat will make living with stallions MUCH easier.

If you're not sure about breeding her, marbling her might be an option to keep her from coming into heat, and should not affect fertility?

Otherwise, it sounds like you don't have many options to move her, so you're just going to have to deal with it. Having friends will help with ulcers, not make them worse. The closer you can get to a normal horsie lifestyle, the better off she'll be. If you can, MORE friends will be better than ONE friend.

1 members found this post helpful.

what is marbling?