The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Good on FL State for stepping in because they should have been notified by the attending vet IMMEDIATELY if EV H-1 was suspected and testing for that whole barn quarenteened and immediately and show extis shut down!!!
    Inconvience and $$$ are better than dead horses and alot of outbreaks all over the country and NO shows for the rest of the year...
    FL did know early on. There are links on this thread pointing people to the FreshFromFlorida.com website for updates going back to at least the 23rd; I didn't go further back in the thread to see when the first link was posted.

They aren't some late-coming saviour to this picture. They've known what was going on.

I understand that everybody is angry at HITs for the handling of the outbreak. I am as well but what about those owners, riders and trainers that decided to ship in AFTER the first case? They are just as responsible for the possible exposure of their horses and any others they come in contact with if they have also shipped back out.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Halt Near X View Post
    FL did know early on. There are links on this thread pointing people to the FreshFromFlorida.com website for updates going back to at least the 23rd; I didn't go further back in the thread to see when the first link was posted.

They aren't some late-coming saviour to this picture. They've known what was going on.
    Unfortunately, the state has to follow certain protocols before they can just swoop in and take over and implement quarantines. Political red tape, you know. It's not their fault, really. I'm guessing that the 2pm hard deadline for the quarantine was when FLDACS officially took the reins (pun completely intended) of the situation.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaff2 View Post
    I understand that everybody is angry at HITs for the handling of the outbreak. I am as well but what about those owners, riders and trainers that decided to ship in AFTER the first case? They are just as responsible for the possible exposure of their horses and any others they come in contact with if they have also shipped back out.
    There was an awful lot of misinformation going around at that point in time, and not a whole lot of official communication. That makes it difficult for people to know what's true and what's rumor. Add that to the 24 hour wait for test results, and you have trainers/owners/riders who shipped in a) not even knowing there was a possible case or b) before the official test results were confirmed.

More test results are coming back from horses in the FEI stabling at PBIEC today. Fingers crossed for good news.

According to the local blurb Ocala.com, the show P.R. person said there are now 1300 horses still on the HITS showgrounds. Normally there would be 1800-2000 horses. So does that mean that 500-700 horses came, showed and then left? EGADS!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    There was an awful lot of misinformation going around at that point in time, and not a whole lot of official communication. That makes it difficult for people to know what's true and what's rumor. Add that to the 24 hour wait for test results, and you have trainers/owners/riders who shipped in a) not even knowing there was a possible case or b) before the official test results were confirmed.

More test results are coming back from horses in the FEI stabling at PBIEC today. Fingers crossed for good news.
    Some mis-communication yes but once the first case was confirmed people still shipped in and continued to up until yesterday. They need to bear some responsibility if this spreads further.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaff2 View Post
    Some mis-communication yes but once the first case was confirmed people still shipped in and continued to up until yesterday. They need to bear some responsibility if this spreads further.
    Oh, I absolutely agree. I'm just giving people the benefit of the doubt.

Granted shipping IN seems CRAZY, it is the people who shipped OUT once all of this started that are most likely to be responsible for further spreading.

A barn in the NE I used to ride at left Ocala on Sunday, and more or less bragged on Facebook that they made it through inspection with no issues.

Did I mention they are hosting an IEA regional show on Saturday?

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by starhorse View Post
    A barn in the NE I used to ride at left Ocala on Sunday, and more or less bragged on Facebook that they made it through inspection with no issues.

Did I mention they are hosting an IEA regional show on Saturday?
    I have a little background in virology, and things like this SCARE me!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

6 members found this post helpful.

We at the Chronicle have put together all the recent EHV-1 coverage into a main page...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/content/...tbreak-florida

We're keeping as up-to-date as possible on all the developments, and hope you can use this information hub to stay informed.

Thanks! Molly Sorge
    Last edited by Molly Sorge; Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jody jaffe View Post
    Wow, how could an operation be as clueless as HITS?
    Not clueless purposeful. As someone mentioned they behaved in the exact same manner at HITS Thermal. Revenue was their only concern.
    Their FB page is here https://www.facebook.com/hitsshows?ref=ts&fref=ts

If you have grievances I suggest taking them there. I find it laughable that people are "thanking" them for updates. Updates and full quarantines that should have been imposed a week ago. I truly don't understand how they can not be held responsible.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I have a question about the "index case" in Ocala. Does anyone know if that horse had exposure to any of the other cases before the horse got sick in Ocala? Was the horse directly or indirectly exposed to any of the cases in NJ? Or was the horse possibly a latent carrier that ended up getting sick at a very inopportune time (not that there is ever a good time). I think this is important because if the horse was exposed in NJ in the middle of January, but didn't get sick until the middle of February, that extends the incubation period quite a bit from the 2-10 days I have been hearing. I know it can be more complicated than that (latent carriers, stress playing a role, etc.)
    Another question about the ehv-1 strain. I am hearing it is the wild strain, not the mutant strain that causes the neuro issues, but didn't the index horse have neuro issues? Can the wild strain also cause neuro issues in some horses?

I posted this in the sport horse thread. It is just my personal understanding but may help to explain a bit.

There are two different things being co-mingled here I think. One is the clinical expression of the infection and one is the actual viral infection. The neuropathogenic EHV 1 strain has a mutation in it and results in a higher incidence of EHM (greater than 80% of cases) where the wild type has only been associated with EHM in less than 20% of cases studied. The horse from Ocala that went to UF had the wild type strain of EHV 1, not to say it did not show clinical signs of EHM but it did not have the mutant strain which is typically referred to as the neuropathogenic/neurological EHV. IMO.

I am not a vet, but I have had experience with an EHV-1 outbreak before, and here is my understanding:

EHV-1 wild-type is LESS likely to cause neurological issues than the mutant EHV-1 strain.

No horses have tested positive for the neuro form of EHV-1, and there are no cases of EHM.

I found all this information posted on the FL Department of Ag's website: www.freshfromflorida.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Horses in Loxahatchee were at HITS. They were stabled near Tent 7 and shipped out the beginning of last week. They were tested when they began to be febrile.

Quote Originally Posted by NinaL aka Chrissy View Post
    Horses in Loxahatchee were at HITS. They were stabled near Tent 7 and shipped out the beginning of last week. They were tested when they began to be febrile.
    This is correct. It's Tequestrian Farms in Wellington that wasn't associated with HITS at all.

The quote below is directly from this website: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/

"The first positive case of the virus was referred to the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine after showing clinical neurological signs on February 20. The horse is in stable condition and continues to be treated at the University of Florida."

I think that what the above posters are stating and which I agree with is that the "wild" strain of EHV-1 will not test as EHM even if the horse exhibits neurological signs. Even EHV-4, the upper respiratory virus that weanlings can develop, especially in fall and winter, can uncommonly cause fetal abortions and neurological symptoms, according to U.C. Davis.

A friend just posted on FB one of the best articles on EHV that I'd read to date:

http://equineextension.colostate.edu.../EHVvFinal.pdf
    Last edited by dianehalpin; Feb. 28, 2013 at 02:12 PM.

I thought after reading this article on EVH this thread would be a good place to ask - There is a quote in the article that says -

"Once a horse contracts Equine Herpes Virus he or she has the virus for life. No method exists which will eradicate the disease, but extended periods of latency (viral dormancy) are commonly observed in one’s horse."

Now does this include EVH 4 or just EVH 1????

Here is the article - http://equineextension.colostate.edu.../EHVvFinal.pdf
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumperprincess View Post
    It is a business for HITS,he does not care. So all of you folks who are so upset,the way to hit this guy in the gut is you don't attend his horse shows.
    Amen! This is the only way to make a statement. Next year when the dust settles, if you are not happy, remember this when making show plans. Money speaks -- both ways.
    Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Mar. 4, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde