The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Default More quotes to my local newsite trolls

Snark was directed at them. I don't feel like re-writing all of it.
    Males do not have a cervix, but they can and do develop:
    • Genital warts
    • Anal cancer (incidentally, more women than men get AC & it is NOT necessary to have anal sex to hit the jackpot.)
    • Penile cancer
    • Cancers of the oropharynx: between 1988 and 2004, head, neck and throat cancers that tested positive for the human papilloma virus rose an astounding 225 percent, according to a new study in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. Within the next decade, the study authors argue, the incidence of such cancers — which are almost always contracted as a result of ORAL sex — will surpass that of cervical cancer, and the majority of those cases are going to be in men.

The HPV virus is believed to affect an estimated 80% of the population. There are about 100 known strains of HPV; 30 of these are considered to be sexually transmitted diseases since the only way a person can be infected with one of these strains is through vaginal, anal or oral sex. These HPV types can also infect the mouth and throat. Most people who become infected with HPV do not even know they have it. Warts can appear within weeks or months after getting HPV. Cancer often takes years to develop after getting HPV. My doctors estimated my tumor began as pre-cancerous cells 15 YEARS before I found it.

The number of cancer victims is “only” a small part of the general population, until you become one of them.

[This snarky part was written for a childless troll concerned only with stirring the pot. And yes, it shut up.] You are correct. Parents must choose carefully or risk condemning their children to a future of painful radiation and chemotherapy treatments that may not cure their HPV caused cancers. Which low-probability scary outcome should they choose, considering the lifetime odds of dying in a car accident is 1 in 242 while the lifetime odds of dying in a fall are 1 in 269? Let’s look at some more numbers…

1) The study states: “In the Western world cervical cancer is a rare disease with mortality rates that are several times lower than the rate of reported serious adverse reactions (including deaths) from HPV vaccination.”

During 2003–2007, an average of 31,392 cancers were potentially associated with HPV (rate of 10.6 per 100,000) in the United States. The CDC reports that in 2007 (the most recent year data is available) 4,021 women died of cervical cancer. An estimated 950 women die from vulvar cancer. An estimated men AND women 780 die from anal cancer. An estimated 310 men die from penile cancer (I’m rather surprised fathers would consider subjecting their boys’ precious winkies to serious radiation burns). An estimated 840 women die from vaginal cancer. An estimated 3,560 men AND women will die from oropharyngeal cancers. That’s a total of 10,461 deaths from HPV-related cancers per year.

As I previously quoted, “[From June 2006 through] September 15, 2011, approximately 40 million doses of Gardasil® were distributed in the U.S. and VAERS received a total of 20,096 reports of adverse events following Gardasil® vaccination: 19,075 reports among females and 569 reports for males, of which 504 reports were received after the vaccine was licensed for males in October 2009. VAERS received 452 reports of unknown gender. Of the total number of VAERS reports following Gardasil®, 92% were considered to be non-serious, and 8% were considered serious.” 71 deaths were reported with 34 confirmed, but for the sake of discussion I’ll include all of them.

8% of (20,096 + 71) is 1613. That’s about 1613 serious reactions and deaths, combined, out of 40 million doses in a FIVE year period in the US, according to the CDC, vs. a combined estimated total of 10,461 HPV-cancer related deaths in a SINGLE year, with 4,021 of those being confirmed cervical cancer deaths.

Please explain to me how either 10,461 or 4,021 deaths per year is “several times lower than the rate of reported serious adverse reactions (including deaths) from HPV vaccination” which was 1613 over FIVE years. I’m using the data reported by the CDC and the National Cancer Institute.

2) I will leave dissecting the chemical/medical findings to the experts at the CDC, but I would like to point out that in the clinical trials, Gardasil® prevented 100% of precancerous cervical lesions (high grade, CIN2/3) related to Human Papillomavirus types 16 and 18.

Gardasil® prevented 100% of precancerous vulval lesions (VIN2/3) and 100% of precancerous vaginal lesions (VaIN2/3) related to Human Papillomavirus types 16 and 18.

Gardasil® prevented 100% of potentially pre-cancerous cervical lesions (low grade, CIN1) related to Human Papillomavirus types 6,11,16,18 in Future I study in which cervical lesions of all grades (CIN1 to CIN3) were a co-primary endpoint and 93.1% efficacy in the combined analysis of grouped clinical studies.

Gardasil® prevented 100% of genital warts related to Human Papillomavirus types 6,11,16,18 in Future I study where external genital lesions were a co- primary endpoint and 98.9% efficacy in the combined analysis of grouped clinical studies.

In 2009, after a joint review of more than 12,000 adverse events reported after administration of quadrivalent human papillomavirus, or HPV, vaccine, FDA and CDC researchers concluded the vaccine “continues to be safe and effective, and its benefits continue to outweigh the risks.” Researchers from the agencies published their findings in the Aug. 19 Journal of the American Medical Association.

After reviewing all 12,424 reports of adverse events after HPV immunization made to the joint CDC-FDA Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting system from June 2006 through December 2008, researchers from the two agencies reported that, generally, adverse event rates were similar to what is seen in safety reviews of other vaccines. However, they did acknowledge the presence of “disproportional reporting” of syncope (8.2 per 100,000 doses) and blood clots (0.2 per 100,000), compared with that seen with administration of other vaccines.

The vast majority of adverse events reported after vaccine administration (94 percent) were not classified as serious. The most common events reported were syncope, pain and redness at the injection site, dizziness, nausea, and headache.

Six percent of adverse events were regarded as serious, including 32 deaths. The agencies said, however, that no common pattern suggested the deaths were caused by the vaccine. In cases where autopsy results, medical records or death certificates were available, the cause of death often could be attributed to other factors, such as diabetes, viral illness, drug use and heart failure.

The researchers reiterated the need for physicians to observe the recommended 15-minute post-vaccination waiting period. Of the more than 1,800 reports of fainting immediately following vaccination, 293 instances resulted in falls, of which 200 resulted in head injuries.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mercedespony View Post
    They don't add colonoscopies to the annual physical recommended tests until the age of 50 up here. But they start mammograms at the age of 40. And PAPS much earlier.

Which is very odd, when it looks like colon cancer appears to be the higher diagnosed when I look at the number comparisons of breast, colon, and cervical cancer.

Is it funding popularity? People are wearing pink ribbons and running for breast cancer every month, but I hear nothing about colon cancer.
    No, it's not funding popularity. Colon cancer is typically a disease of the elderly, more so than breast cancer.

Cervical cancer can occur at any age after exposure to HPV.

Thank the lord you were at least attuned to your own body.
    I couldn't agree more! I read one report that said when Farrah Fawcett discovered hers through bleeding she first freaked, then went to her chiropractor and blew it off. When she was diagnosed, it was the size of a strawberry (no one said if that was wild size or those giant, tasteless things in the produce aisle). The earlier you find them, the earlier you're treated and the better your chances of survival are!

They don't add colonoscopies to the annual physical recommended tests until the age of 50 up here. But they start mammograms at the age of 40. And PAPS much earlier.

Which is very odd, when it looks like colon cancer appears to be the higher diagnosed when I look at the number comparisons of breast, colon, and cervical cancer.

Is it funding popularity? People are wearing pink ribbons and running for breast cancer every month, but I hear nothing about colon cancer.
    Tatas are pretty. Colons and anuses, not so much. The pink ribbons annoy the heck out of me because they take attention away from lesser-known cancers that also deserve attention. When asked in the grocery, "Do you want to donate to breast cancer research?" I cheerfully respond, "Thanks, but no. My cancer wasn't pink."
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

In 9 pages of posts, not one parent on this thread has said they haven't vaccinated their kids for standard immunizations.
    Will you please go back and read the posts? Someone mentioned government-mandated vaccines (which apparently is not true), I mentioned that I had had to show proof of vaccination for MMR for college, then someone mentioned there are ways around that, which is when I made the comment in question. I never accused anyone on this thread of not vaccinating their kids for MMR. I simply said that it's a shame that SOME people do not vaccinate for such terrible, infectious diseases.

Is that clear enough?

I have NOT read this site yet, or double checked links. I just happened to see it on my fb page, posted by Vaccination Information Network. #5 is HPV. I'm not saying I'm one way or another on this, I don't have children.

http://www.thelibertybeacon.com/2013...-give-a-child/

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    I have NOT read this site yet, or double checked links. I just happened to see it on my fb page, posted by Vaccination Information Network. #5 is HPV. I'm not saying I'm one way or another on this, I don't have children.

Next time, maybe read it before posting it. It starts out,

"All vaccines should be avoided, but "
    Which means I think that you can safely disregard every other word on the page.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post

Oh my god, what is this website?? This is literally one of the most bat-shit crazy websites I've ever seen! Are there really people out there that believe this stuff? The author of this website needs to go to a third-world country and see children dying of these diseases that they so adamantly believe we should not vaccinate for and see if that puts things in perspective for them!

3 members found this post helpful.

Another person diagnosed with HPV, which in and of itself made me feel dirty, promiscuous, and ashamed . Probably the last straw that ended my first marriage, despite that fact that a. guys can carry with no symptoms and neither of us were virgins when we got married, and b. you can apparently have it for a few years before it shows up on a PAP. But no, not only was I an STD statistic (such shame for me), and had a pre-cancerous strain that could kill me, but I got to go home every night to a husband who accused me of having an affair. And he went on deployments...I still kind of suspect him.

Loved getting two colpos and refusing a LEEP with only the support of a dear dear friend who had also gone through it. Per my doc at the time, he had seen case studies of NUNS who had been diagnosed with HPV. He also recommended me to get the shots, even though I was in my 20s, for the protection I would go from the other strains. I got two before my divorce was final and I was insurance-less.

I had zero reaction from the shots, not even site soreness.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saitou_amaya View Post
    Oh my god, what is this website?? This is literally one of the most bat-shit crazy websites I've ever seen! Are there really people out there that believe this stuff? The author of this website needs to go to a third-world country and see children dying of these diseases that they so adamantly believe we should not vaccinate for and see if that puts things in perspective for them!
    good grief....out of millions of children vaccinated, they find one that still got sick...omg, never vaccinate children...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    When asked in the grocery, "Do you want to donate to breast cancer research?" I cheerfully respond, "Thanks, but no. My cancer wasn't pink."
    My theory is that if you can walk 60 miles, you don't need my money.

My 2 cents for whatever its worth:
    Growing up all I ever heard "Wouldn't it be great if we could cure or prevent cancer?" So now there is a way to prevent some cancers & your not giving it to your kid?

Seriously. "Bat shit crazy" is an apt description. Here is what that web site says their mission is:

“THE LIBERTY BEACON PROJECT” MISSION

The mission of “The Liberty Beacon Project” is to produce media content (podcasts, telepodcasts, videomags, blogs, TV shows etc…) as well as to increase access to the abundance of uncoordinated alternative source media to the liberty movement or to any and all who wish to be informed and educated as to reality in this climate of political, social and economic turmoil. One thing we are all sure of is that the MainStream Media is seriously remiss in its stated mission to keep the American people informed real time on these topics by presenting timely and fact based reporting of events as they occur both in this country and across the globe. We do this in earnest knowing that an informed and educated society cannot and will not be subjugated!
    I poked around that site a little...their mission is more like "We're going to take advanage of the uneducated portions of society and ensure that they are thoroughly misinformed". For what purpose, I can't imagine. Fun? To get attention? To try to ensure that as many people as possible are as clueless as they are?

I just found out that a co-worker died last night of cervical cancer. A high school classmate died last June. Both were extraordinary women who were at the top of the world when they were diagnosed. I find some consolation in the quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln: "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." And yet it shouldn't have happened

I don't know if anyone has already posted this graphic that shows how vaccines have changed our world for the positive. It's worth looking at:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewh...ged-our-world/

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    good grief....out of millions of children vaccinated, they find one that still got sick...omg, never vaccinate children...
    But the kid didn't die. Of course, they wouldn't want to admit that vaccines, even if you do end up getting the disease, make it easier for you to fight the disease off because your body already has some immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    But the kid didn't die. Of course, they wouldn't want to admit that vaccines, even if you do end up getting the disease, make it easier for you to fight the disease off because your body already has some immunity.
    oh PLEASE!
    No logic!
    we don't do that around here!
    </sarcasm>

seriously...Isn't that like in the vaccination guide 101: yes, you can still - in rare circumstance - get the disease, but the duration and severeness will be cut drastically...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Methinks natural election is going to be seriously nipping these people in the bud! Very sad for the kids, though.

All you have to do is go to an old cemetary and look at the gravestones of the kids that died as infants and toddlers before things like vaccines and antibiotics were widely available. I've seen old family plots where there were 4 or 5 kids lost before they turned 5.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    All you have to do is go to an old cemetary and look at the gravestones of the kids that died as infants and toddlers before things like vaccines and antibiotics were widely available. I've seen old family plots where there were 4 or 5 kids lost before they turned 5.
    no kidding...even royals were not spared (that's why the princess has to produce the heir and the spare...)

Yes, a friend of mine believes it. He's too young to have lived through polio epidemics.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

No input on the vaccine... I work in a regional hospital's lab. The sheer number of STD tests we process has me very glad to be married. Old, young, very young and everybody in between.
    STD's are rampant. Be careful out there...

damn this thread...
    I can't even enjoy my romance novels right nw without thinking about cooties...