The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default have the option to buy back a pony I sold....

So, two years ago I bought this adorable little Quarter pony. She was only halter broke when I got her, I put 60 days on her and sold her for a profit. After about a year from selling her I felt regret because she was a REALLY awesome pony and would be great for kids.

I just got a message on Facebook from the owner's niece telling me she would like to sell her back to me- for less than I sold her for, and a really decent price. (Assuming she is still sound)
    I am trying to get into the business for teaching lessons and I also have a niece who is horse OBSESSED and she has potential to be a great starter pony for her.

She's a registered Quarter horse (pony) She should be 5 now and she was 14hh when I sold her. She had an amazing personality and my whole family was in love with her! The only reasons we sold her were because, She was bought for resale, and because she was just on the small side.

What do you guys think of this opportunity?

Here are some pics I had of her before I sold her, as a three year old.
    This is her and my boyfriend (who doesn't ride at all)
    This is one of the sale photos I took of her
    Here is her right before going on a trail ride (on the right)
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Of course you should buy her . She's really cute.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

2 members found this post helpful.

What's the downside of buying her back? If you can use her/afford her, do it!

1 members found this post helpful.

I would make sure to try her and do basic flecions on her before buying her back. You never know what could have been done to the pony or if she vpulled something in the pasture

Buy her. You like her and you would be good for her. A Win-Win.

I think you have to consider why they called you.

Did they try to sell her to other people before and couldn't? Is it because they have poor marketing skills or because she's now lame or ruined? They'd had her for long enough to do some serious damage to her mind or body so try to use your head as much as your heart!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I think you have to consider why they called you.

Did they try to sell her to other people before and couldn't? Is it because they have poor marketing skills or because she's now lame or ruined? They'd had her for long enough to do some serious damage to her mind or body so try to use your head as much as your heart!
    Yeah thats what I am wondering. She was REALLY green when I sold her, but she was super, super smart. and she was basically bombproof. Its been two years so she should be 5 now which I hope that if she IS Sound she is young enough to fix whatever issues she has now.

I called the owner a few months ago and asked her if she still had her, and she told me that she would sell her to me for $1200. I turned down her offer.
    Now she is coming back to me offering $700 and apparently they really want to sell her.

I haven't talked to the owner on the phone yet, just to a niece of her's through facebook so this really could go anywhere
    Eventers of the West

People buy ponies all the time, and then realise they don't have the time/money/expertise to bring them on, or their kid loses interest. Just go see the pony, vet it like you normally would, buy it if you like it. Treat it as a regular horse purchase.

I guess my sense of time is horrible... just looked up her pedigree, she is 7 now LOL oops
    Eventers of the West

Sometimes the issue with ponies is that people think that adults never have to get on them so the training goes downhill fast as the pony decides to see who's boss. Or maybe the kid wasn't in a lesson program where correct skills could be taught to both. Then you end up with a rank little pony and an upset kid and everyone blames and ditches the pony. Especially if you sold the pony as green.

I recently looked at a horse and while the owners didn't lie about anything they didn't share anything unless I asked (and they were honest when they did) so make sure you see a kid ride the pony and ask lots of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by KateMcCall View Post
    I guess my sense of time is horrible... just looked up her pedigree, she is 7 now LOL oops
    That's a good age! Go see her. If she's sound, and not totally fried, call me.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Appears to be a nice pony.

You may have your work cut out for you, and she may now really test your skills.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

For $700, if you have room and she's been tugging at your heart all this time? Duh.
    Click here before you buy.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I dont think you would have made this post if you hadn't been thinking about her since you let her go, and especially since starting your lesson program.

Go see her! I agree with others who said greener ponies often get sidelined because there's no one around whose the right size & has enough experience to ride them. At 7 you shouldn't have a problem undoing any bad habits she's learned as long as her brain hasn't been totally screwed.

I also like the advice to evaluate her like you would any other horse. Don't assume she knows something because you taught it to her 2 years ago - its entirely possible that has been undone, or she's forgotten everything. Look at her as a clean slate.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

If she is alive and standing...go see her...pulling your trailer!! At that age and price you can fix anything that's wrong or needs re-doing. She WAS safe and sane...she will be again...and she's GRAY!!! I'd take a chance!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

She's adorable. I agree with crosscreeksh --- hook up the trailer and go see her! You have a use for her now, and hopefully she's either completely sound and sane or easily fixable.

Perhaps they called you because they want to know she will go to a good place. Call on her and go get her.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

she's adorable, go for it as long as she can pass her vet check!!

I went and checked her out on Sunday. She looked well! Nice and fat. She hasn't been ridden much other than a trail ride here and there over the past couple years. I would like to go back and actually ride her before I make a decision, so we will see how it goes!
    only problem is she is 4 hours away and I wont get to see her again for a while
    Eventers of the West

I think she's absolutely dreadful looking...and sounding. Out of the kindness of my heart I will spare you the burden of owning her. PM me for my address and you can ship her here immediately ;-)
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."