The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Position for stadium...sit/2-point/combo?

A friend of mine is taking lessons with a jumper coach, who is encouraging her not to sit/3-point before her stadium fences. She has a habit of sitting before the fences, as she feels more comfortable doing so.

Right? Wrong? Personal preference? What were you taught? What is your position for stadium?
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Whatever works best for you and your horse.

I, personally, stay light, more of a three point (though, if I'm in a big ring and have room to gallop on a bit, I'll get up and go on for a few strides....of course, this is if I'm actually thinking my way around the course and not going "AHHHHHH!!!!!" the whole time...which I am apt to do). I'll sit a little deeper if I need to get my horse connected again or if I'm riding something that I need to stay very defensive on (like a really green, spooky youngster). But most of the time, 3 point-ish. And this is what the majority of people I have ridden with (eventers and jumpers) ask for.

Depends on the horse. Most of mine prefer me in 2 point. I probably prefer 2 point as well....but I come from more of a jumper background. My 2 point is NOT a galloping position, shoulders are more up and I might lightly touch the saddle a stride or two in front of the fence.

I find I'm quieter in a 2 point and less likely to jump ahead.

ETA: I will sit if needed...especially on a green horse.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Feb. 16, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Every horse and every jump is different. Your friend needs to remember its not about her comfort, but what enables her horse to perform best.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

All the above depending on what part of the course you are on and the questions it asks. If friend's trainer is suggesting this, she is likely sitting too heavily those last few strides, not 3 point (they are different), which will limit the horse's ability to round and stretch over the jump (or cause her to jump ahead to catch up).

Totally depends on the horse and the feel coming into the jump. If your friend is driving with her seat when she sits (not uncommon and most people don't realize they are doing it), could be another reason the jumper trainer wants her light and out of the tack.

As it was described to me by a jumper trainer, sitting, which is a driving aid, can back off most horses from the fence by making them think it is harder than it is. Driving aids in the last few strides can worry a horse and they'll back off instead of moving up to a distance. You don't want to completely leave your horse alone, just keep a steady leg so as to not to let the horse back off on their own. Said trainer also wanted us to either sit or 2-point the whole course, not a combination of the 2.

Personally, I tend to sit in corners where I need to balance and I have the bad habit of driving to the fence when I really need to just keep my leg their and keep my horse moving into the contact.

I would say the trainer is correct. stadium requires a different approach than CC. As the fences get bigger, and the times faster, there is no time to sit.

Sure it's harder to half halt, but that's why you get fit to do this.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I will sit with my boy coming to a fence and get in 3 point between the fences. If there is a long span between fences it wi stand and gallop a bit but then get it together for the fence again. Depends on you yor horse and what works best for the combination
    No Worries!

Depends on the horse, the day, the fence in front of us. She should be facile and comfortable with all possible options, of course, and ideally you want to develop an idea of why to use one or the other (see above re: depends . . .) but I've never had a trainer tell me there's only one correct way to place oneself before a jump.
    Click here before you buy.

A very interesting question. This is the sort of thing that could use an application of that Dartfish stuff. I would LOFF to just jump a couple of 2-ft. gymnastics on my three different rides and see myself and then see the Dartfish, wouldn't you? I wonder if there is a way to get access to this technology if not on the team. Techies?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

When I'm about 5 strides out I tend to sit, not HEAVY but lightly sit (so I'm not in a driving position, unless I need to be). My mare can get a bit fast and so having my seat down helps (she listens super well to if I close/"block" my thigh, and will back off a bit) and if I do have to go a bit more defensive, it's a lot less drastic of a move. But my mare is almost 8 and can be spooky. But it really does depend on the course, your horse, the ride to the fence, etc etc.

What is a dartfish?

BTW, there's a pretty decent article in March's Practical Horseman by Bernie Traurig about the different seats (and when to use them) in SJ.
    Last edited by fordtraktor; Feb. 16, 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    I would say the trainer is correct. stadium requires a different approach than CC. As the fences get bigger, and the times faster, there is no time to sit.
    Can you explain? That makes no sense to me, big jumper riders, nevermind eventers, sit as necessary around very big and complicated courses.

What the #$*($#*& is 3 point??? Never heard of that.

Traditionally a rider is 2 point when cantering or galloping on (allow the horse to move forward/not in collection), and then light seats 2-4 strides out from a (any) fence (more direction/confidence for the horse). Only two point to a fence...risks lack of having the horse in front of the leg.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

3 point = light seat, for all intents and purposes. Seat just touching the saddle.

Three point I'll go with as long as it's very light.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    What the #$*($#*& is 3 point??? Never heard of that.

Traditionally a rider is 2 point when cantering or galloping on (allow the horse to move forward/not in collection), and then light seats 2-4 strides out from a (any) fence (more direction/confidence for the horse). Only two point to a fence...risks lack of having the horse in front of the leg.
    Pick up a copy of Hunter Seat Equitation, by the one and only George Morris.

Depends on the horse, and the situation.

My older horse intermediate horse and I both found it more comfortable if I stayed light but quite upright to fences. I'm tall and he's short and if I got to forward at all I would interfere with his balance.

My younger horse, that is going to start eventing this year is MUCH bigger and I ride him completely opposite because that's what he seems to like, a light seat between a 2 point and a 3 point