The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Feeding an OTTB

What do you all feed you OTTB's? I'm trying to decide what to put my mare on. She's on horseman's edge. But I want her in a better quality feed. I was thinking Strategy Healthy Edge. Any suggestions? Recommendations? I'm in Ohio and can't get some types of feed.

I feed mine Triple Crown Senior, as do many others here, in addition to an excellent grass/alfalfa mix hay. I use oil as needed for more calories.

If you've got to stick with Purina products, I have used Equine Senior Active Healthy Edge before and my horses have done well on it.

How old is she? How long has she been off the track? What kind of work is she in? Does she need more weight?

Triple Crown Senior here too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Mine gets anxious on too much grain. She also needed weight for a while and is a fussy eater.

I give her a great high fiber grain (Fibremax by Poulin), beet pulp shreds, and hay pellets. I have a giant trash can, and mix up a custom blend: 1 50lb bag of the Fibremax, 1 50lb bag of hay pellets, and 1 40lb bag of the beet pulp shreds. She then eats ~3lbs (dry) of this, soaked in warm water, twice a day, and gets another ~1.5lbs at night check. I sprinkle a 1/2 cup of ground flax on most nights for dinner. She has a winter coat that is soft and shiny, and is a perfect weight.

As a bonus...she was originally eating 3lbs of the Fibremax per feeding, and at $20 a bag it was killing me. The three bags of stuff total $42, and fill the can that lasts her almost a whole month. SO much cheaper than feeding a "prepackaged" grain product entirely.

She is coming-5, and in pretty regular work for a 4yo greenie in the winter.

Edit: Here's a picture (https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...74853308_n.jpg) that pretty accurately represents just how shiny she is. And I am not a big elbow grease person. Excuse the awkward angle that makes her neck look weird!

Triple Crown Senior is my fave for TBs.

Though mine is on Sentinel LS at the moment and doing well.

Ration balancers made her INSANE, which was weird.

I have found my TBs to be sensitive to feeds and supplements and sometimes odd things can make them nutty! Stick to low sugar, low NSC, not a lot of add-ins... Lots of hay, lots of grass, Triple Crown Senior + beet pulp and oil as needed has always been the best bet for mine.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Triple Crown Senior or a feed by my local southern states called Triple 10 sweet feed.

She was last raced in 2011. She is six. She will be worked almost everyday. Unfortunately I don't have access to Triple Crown where I'm located.

When I had an OTTB we tried him on a million different feeds, some he dropped weight, sweet feeds made him too "hot". We finally settled with Nutrena Safe Choice. He gained weight without becoming obese and never got "hot". It's a bit pricey at 17.49 a bag, but it's what I feed now to my Belgian and his Arab seeing eye pony. It's probably my favorite feed besides Triple Crown Complete (at 20.99 a bag, I said see ya later!)

my favorite combination is triple crown senior, buckeye ultimate finish (25% fat), and soaked alfalfa cubes. TC is hard to get in my area, but after calling around, I found a store about an hour away that would special order them for me- try that! Just because a feed store doesn't typically carry something doesn't mean they can't get it... it doesn't hurt to ask Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I give her a great high fiber grain (Fibremax by Poulin), beet pulp shreds, and hay pellets. I have a giant trash can, and mix up a custom blend: 1 50lb bag of the Fibremax, 1 50lb bag of hay pellets, and 1 40lb bag of the beet pulp shreds. She then eats ~3lbs (dry) of this, soaked in warm water, twice a day, and gets another ~1.5lbs at night check. I sprinkle a 1/2 cup of ground flax on most nights for dinner. She has a winter coat that is soft and shiny, and is a perfect weight.
    My TBs are pretty much on the same diet as GoForAGallop, right down to the warm water soaking.

My mare:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=f247619978
    This butt is on a 15hh mare
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=f16b97cc36

My gelding:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=a00257ad0e
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=53f9302e6d

And the stallion:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=3db739d08b
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=5293cd9c6a

Gorgeous horses, jenger! They all have the same shine to their coats that my mare does. (Except the grey. -sigh- As a grey owner, it's always killed me that they're never gleaming..)

Thank you! These are all Canadian winter wooly photos too. They look wet in the summer. Your girl is very shiney too! Like you, I'm not big into elbow grease, but a good coat helps the dirt fall right out of it. Healthy horses start from the inside out

Mine gets Triple Crown Complete (I used to feed Nutrena's SafeChoice, which was fine, but I find my horses' weights are more stable and I can feed less of this). I add a scoop of alfalfa pellets and, when he is in training (eventer) he gets cool calories to keep up with that metabolism. He gets very nice fescue hay and even in his winter pasture is shiny and healthy looking.

To fatten him up when I first got him (he had a hard post track crash), I also used rice bran pellets and a great deal more cool calories and that got him up to speed at last!

I have a 12 year old (off the track since December 2008) who has always needed quite a bit of food. He's not in work.

I feed Nutrena Lifestyle Senior (my vet recommended feeding the senior feed for the added 'stuff' in it), the best hay I can find, which is 2nd cutting, and beet pulp shreds in a warm mash. I add Cocosoya oil for calories.

I used to feed gut supplements and other fancy things but found that he does very well on the current regime. He receives about 12 pounds of the grain daily and the beet pulp is hard to guess (I've not weighed it). I measure two dry cups in the morning and four in the evening and add double the warmed water so it inflates a lot. I like to have hay available at all times.

I feed Poulin's FibreMax also. great stuff!

Since it sounds like you have purina products, I'd do this:
    Enrich 32
    Alfalfa pellets
    Beet pulp
    Oats (optional)

My guy is now 18 but he does endurance and is schooling Training eventing. He gets the recommended dose of high protein ration balancer for his work load, 3# alfalfa pellets per feeding (since its now winter, in summer it's just 2), and about4 dry cups of hot beet pulp with oil and supplements mixed in.
    Oats help with picky eaters and if they are having sprinty type workouts (gallop sets, jumper rounds at speed)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Poulin's Fibremax, Purina Amplify (30% fat rice bran supp), soaked beet pulp, free choice high quality hay 24/7

before and after:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...eforeafter.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

Hay hay hay. All the good quality hay they can eat. My OTTBs have done really well on Purina Ultium. Expensive but you feed a lot less of it.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Starhouse - that is not the same horse!

One of the best before and afters I have ever seen. You should be proud!

FWIW I have found that (at least in the beginning) I cannot get the TBs to eat as much hay as I would like if it does not have some nice alfalfa in it. At least around here, I haven't found a grass or timothy type they like enough.

Once they look good though, I can maintain them on lower octane hay if needed.