The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Went to the local winter farmer's market this morning, and spent about $90 on local, fresh veggies and grass-fed, pastured-raised beef and pork (as well as some wild-caught, local cod scrod). I am so so so so SO fortunate to have this near me; if I didn't, doing this would be really tough. My first 2 weeks I was eating stuff from the regular grocery, but I'm switching over to very high-quality. I bought so much I will be set for a while, and everything came directly from the farm frozen so I can just stick everything in the freezer and defrost when I need to. Plus I'll be able to make huge portions to feed me and my mom AND have leftovers to take as lunches and nibble on some for breakfast.

The prices are high ($12.99/lb for bacon, for instance) but bacon is not something I eat every day, and it doesn't have crap in it. A small thing of bacon from a local grocery store has propylene glycol in it--horrid stuff! I will spend the money to not put toxins in my body. Plus I'm supporting local, small, family farms (and fishermen, in the case of the cod).

My mouth is watering from Googling paleo cod recipes. So simple, and they all sound delicious!

1 members found this post helpful.

Jealous!

2 members found this post helpful.

I hadn't been in a couple of weeks (okay, since December), but I'm glad I went today! Had to keep walking past my favorite local winery. One glass of wine now gives me a horrible hangover, and I feel like I'm poisoning myself!

I'm a drunk caveman-I won't give up my wine.

I'd knock someone down for some of that cod though! My MIL is from Quincy (pok the cah in da yad) and she always talks about the great seafood!

5 members found this post helpful.

It's "pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd," actually.

I definitely don't take advantage of the abundance of seafood—I should though, for the omega 3s! There is nothing like fresh seafood, honestly. You should really think about taking a trip out here—I'll play tour guide!

Last night we had stir fry sword fish and a big salad. Yum!
    We get the "bits and pieces" of fresh sword fish at the grocery store. It's just like sword fish steak but MUCH cheaper.
    I think we probably eat as much fresh fish as meat. Salmon, pollock, cod, sword, sole, shark...
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I'm a drunk caveman-I won't give up my wine.

I'd knock someone down for some of that cod though! My MIL is from Quincy (pok the cah in da yad) and she always talks about the great seafood!
    Funny you should mention that; BIZARRE experience last night. Came regretfully out of ketogenic-supper norm when friends took me out to a Chinese place. Tried to be good, but did have a spoonful of white rice and, stupidly, a tiny scoop of ice cream since they were and I didn't want to look prissy.

Came home and had my usual nightcap after feeding time. Same exact drink as every night, usually with no effect. Well--half an hour later I was BOMBED. Best I can figure, the alc. wicks up a lot quicker in combination with sugar. No hangover this morning, but felt otherwise crappy all day.

BE. WARE!

I think we all need to form a Paleo Wheat belly support group!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The Paleo Diet makes me think of people eating like dinosaurs.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

No Lex, Like Cavemen/women.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I think we all need to form a Paleo Wheat belly support group!!!
    Can we please have a clique, too?!

The other day, I had some rice for lunch for a "treat" as I felt the need for some comfort food....long story... About 2 hours later, I could hardly get through chores...I mean I crashed hard. Wow...I really need to quit that stuff once and for all.

I was sick for the last week and my D(dang/dear/dam/darling) husband made me 99 cent white bread toast, homemade potato soup, canned chicken noodle soup, and burritos. fluids were generic ginger ale and water. ugh.. my poor stomach and immune system. He tried... just didn't have perspective. I love advil...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    Can we please have a clique, too?!
    You betcha! What would be a good name?

2 members found this post helpful.

I eat paleo. Changed my life. I do have the occasional wheat/sugar treat (very rare though). I feel so much better, lost 40 lbs in a year. At this point, I eat pretty much whatever I want to (hint- what I crave are paleo foods). Most of that 40 lbs was lost without working out. Down from a size 16 (headed to 18) to a 12 (headed to a 10)

Now let's contrast with the summer of hell- low fat diet, restricted to 1200-1400 calories a day. I did the Insanity tapes, then would run 5K 5 days a week. I lost no weight. At all. And my clothes still fit the same. And I'd obsess over wanting sugar and sweets.

LOL, and the funniest thing- I was in Aruba which is a bad place to be paleo- very little vegetables. I did eat some non-paleo stuff and was like *&^&^ it, I just want some steak on a salad. I came back home and filled my cart with veggies and just binged on veggies for days.

Yeah, it will reprogram you to a healthy way of eating if you give it time.

4 members found this post helpful.

Bigbayhanomare,
    Was the farmer's market in Chelmsford? I love that one!
    I went out for dinner last night and had a bite of coconut ice cream and immediately had a HUGE sugar rush! Felt like I was kinda spacey and dizzy. Really, really weird. I have been eating so clean lately that just that little bit of junk made my body rebel. It was amazing to see how fast it hit me!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky dog farm View Post
    Bigbayhanomare,
    Was the farmer's market in Chelmsford? I love that one!
    lucky dog, no, this one was in Somerville. It's a great market with rotating vendors as well as ones that are there every week. I love it!

Sannois, I'll have to think about it...but I think we should incorporate cave(wo)men into it, somehow!

lucky dog, no, this one was in Somerville. It's a great market with rotating vendors as well as ones that are there every week. I love it!

Sannois, I'll have to think about it...but I think we should incorporate cave(wo)men into it, somehow!
    For sure!! I will leave you to it! IT is a clique that everyone should join!!!

Suggestions are welcome, too!

Suggestions are welcome, too!
    Let's call us the "Dinosaur Eaters!"