The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Doctor Rant

I just had the most annoying exchange with my DD doctor office.

DD(college student) takes a daily prescription to block her asthma triggers, works great been on it for years no problems. She called in her prescription refill and I went to pick it up. Was told that the refill was denied. So I call dr's office, DD is at work with no access to phone, to see what happened. They take my number call back about 1 1/2 hours later and tell me that her prescription has run out, that she needs to make an appointment to get more refills. Fine, no problem but she is out of the medication and can she have a partial prescription to get her through until she can come in? I know for a fact her first day off is not until Monday.

In her best Nurse Ratchet voice "NO, we don't prescribe medications to patients who have not had their yearly check up".

Really, she needs this to breath better and you are going to withhold the medication from an otherwise healthy person until she can come in and see you? You can't give a partial, I'm talking 7 days worth of a medication she has been on since she was probably 10 years old and has never had a problem with???? Really??

I understand she needs to come in to get her check up and I will most certainly make sure she does that. But I also don't think the request of a partial prescription to get her through, what is going to be a long holiday weekend for most people, is an unreasonable request either. AARRRGGGHHH

Is this a policy in their office or all dr's offices, or are they just being a PITA? I don't understand why they can't look at people as people and not lump them in together with blanket answers, how much work is it for her to call in a partial prescription???

Instead I get a very condescending lecture that it is DD's fault for not scheduling an appt. before her meds ran out and she needs to "take responsibility for her health care" duh, but she is 20 years old she is still learning, and most likely didn't realize that the last refill was the last refill until she looked at the label this time. So she will be more aware in the future but for now she is being punished by having to suck on her inhaler all weekend!

I really can see their side but would a little flexibility kill you??

SHEEESH!

do you have any urgent care walk-in clinics? that medicine sounds important enough to go seek out someone who will give you a week's worth of it.

and no, most doctors are much more flexible than yours.

4 members found this post helpful.

It's a policy in pretty much ALL dr's offices, so don't feel singled out.

My husband has to take a number of meds for serious problems, & after a year he definitely CANNOT get ANY refills unless he comes in for a physical. While I realize that it's annoying, it's in the patients' best interests. So many things can change in a year's time. And while the "condescending lecture" was unpleasant to you, it was true. A 20-year-old isn't a child "still learning". She's an adult who is (or should be) more than capable of keeping track of medications that keep her comfortable. Sucking on her inhaler all weekend will most likely make her more responsible about her health in the future.

Sorry, but I don't blame the doctor or his staff in the least.

11 members found this post helpful.

At our office, you get a one month refill with the notice that you need to make an appointment. I can't believe the office is saying absolutely no refills without an appointment. That's nonsense.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

9 members found this post helpful.

Sometimes the pharmacy will give you enough to get to the next doctor's appointment. How about a walk in clinic so she can get enough for a week's worth?

Only one doctor my family has used has an attitude like that...we fired him.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

I'd ask to speak to the doctor him/herself. I agree, the appointment is important but 7 days' worth is not being irresponsible on you or your daughter's part.

It sounds like the lack of medication has the potential to harm your daughter, and this is not acceptable for the doctor's office to knowingly refuse 7 days' worth of meds. I get it if you/your daughter has done this before, but it sounds like you haven't and this is way too hard line.

I would call and ask to speak to the doctor to clarify the situation. And I would think about leaving if they won't be a little bit flexible over a holiday weekend.

6 members found this post helpful.

Time to find a different doctor.

I totally agree that people need to be responsible and all that stuff. But this nurse is being ridiculous. I have never had a doctor that will not give you a refill to hold you over until you get an appointment. How much you wanna bet that if your daughter called right now to schedule an appointment they would not even be able to get her in within the next week.

Do what SMF said, call back and insist on speaking to the doctor.

I can get a partial prescription for my hormone replacement treatment if I forget to make an appointment. And that is nowhere near life threatening like asthma! Good grief!
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

May be against the law in your area.
    http://pharmacist.hubpages.com/hub/G...Y-PRESCRIPTION
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

It's always been at the doctors discretion. I think the new health care laws are behind this. They are tightening up prescription drug availability as one of their criteria for medicare reimbursement. It is just one of several things that are being tracked.

At 20, your DD is certainly old enough to take responsibility for the medication she needs to breath. It doesn't sound like this is anything new for her.

My pain doc will do 6-12 month scripts, but if he hasn't seen me in 3-6 months he won't renew them.

However, an older friend has a doctor who hasn't seen her in over 2 years and keeps renewing her Alzheimer meds over the phone. WTH?

On the other hand, I've found that the staffs in doctor's offices can be a huge PITA, especially if they are GPs. Majorly impressed with their own importance. Last time (and I mean last time) I went to my GP, I was 15 minutes late and they wouldn't see me. There was no one in the waiting room. The front desk called back to the nurse who canx'd the appointment. They were open for another hour. When I was there on time I had to wait at least 20 minutes. Thankfully, my pain doc ordered the labwork I went in for the next time I saw him.

I left my previous GP because the doctor wasn't good enough to compensate for her crappy staff.

The only Rx I take regularly is my birth control - usually my OB/GYN is easily booked out more than a month for check ups so when I get to my last month, I don't ever have enough to make it. The nurse who schedules my appts always asks everyone if they need an extra month to make it to the appt - and they do that without any issue or fuss.

Most pharmacies will give you/fill a 7-day rx to get you to your appt. Call and check!
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    It's a policy in pretty much ALL dr's offices, so don't feel singled out.

My husband has to take a number of meds for serious problems, & after a year he definitely CANNOT get ANY refills unless he comes in for a physical. While I realize that it's annoying, it's in the patients' best interests. So many things can change in a year's time. And while the "condescending lecture" was unpleasant to you, it was true. A 20-year-old isn't a child "still learning". She's an adult who is (or should be) more than capable of keeping track of medications that keep her comfortable. Sucking on her inhaler all weekend will most likely make her more responsible about her health in the future.

Sorry, but I don't blame the doctor or his staff in the least.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

City of delusion in the state of total denial

The office I used to work for would give partial prescriptions for most medications contingent upon scheduling an appointment during the same phone call. You'd get enough medication to last you 'til the appointment. If you didn't keep that appointment, no more refills granted. It couldn't be done for all medications and that wasn't a call the front office could make. You may want to check directly with the doctor.

It is your daughter's responsibility, but people do screw up.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

2 members found this post helpful.

I get not giving a partial script for pain meds. I'd even get it for HRT. But asthma??? Honestly, people can die from that. So someone needs to die because they didn't properly manage their meds????
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

I think it's irresponsible of the doctor's office not to give your daughter enough medication to take until her next appointment. Try to get around the nurse and talk to the doctor.

When you're on a medication for a long time it's easy to bypass an appointment time. It happens. It's happened to me, or maybe I'm just a below average patient.

Quote Originally Posted by hastyreply View Post
    It's always been at the doctors discretion. I think the new health care laws are behind this. They are tightening up prescription drug availability as one of their criteria for medicare reimbursement. It is just one of several things that are being tracked.
    My mom was on anti seizure meds and she needed a blood test to check the levels. Her prescription ran out like April 10. She did not drive. I COULD NOT take time off work and the doctor's office closed before my son could get out of school. I asked if they would advance her some pills and write the order for her blood test so my son could take her in for that and I would take her in for her visit after tax season. I explained that I could lose my job if I took time off. They gave her a months worth of pills and told her to get a new doctor.

We did and he took her off the meds.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I have asthma medication. My doctor will give you a refill to get you through the next 30 days, but you have to schedule a physical to get back on the refill wagon. Really, this is asthma. Time to find a new doctor.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Default She's been on this medication since she was 10?

And she needs it. She needs to look at the pill bottle. Also, almost all offices now send reminder cards for a next visit that should be scheduled before leaving the office from the last one. For ever appointment I have scheduled, including my hair, I get a day or two day out call confirming the appointment.

If's she's had asthma for the last 10 years, she's way past "learning", she knows what her problem is and how to manage it. It's a shame she got too busy to read the bottle and make an appointment, but when the last label says "Dr. Authorization required for refill, 0 refills left" then she had a month to take care of it.

Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Asthma meds that aren't prednisone, are fairly new, likely as a child she had to rely on her inhaler for attacks. Yes, it's a holiday weekend, but that doesn't make it any more urgent. She has an inhaler, that will likely get her through the problem or to the ER for treatment.

Did she make an appointment for next week?

Poor Princess!! Hand her the yellow pages and tell her to start finding a walk in clinic. The natural outcome to her poor planning and general lack of responsibility with regards to her health care is to sit at a clinic and wait.

Everyday as she consumed her medication she watched the supply diminish. There is no emergency here, only lack of planning. She does have access to her medication.....when she visits the clinic. Bet she does not do this again.