The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default THE tack armiore/locker thread...

There has been many tack armiore/locker threads over the years. I'm making this the thread for everyone to post their pics to, things they love about one they have or built, things they would change. and links/ pictures.

I've put one on my DH's honey do list- he requested plans and ideas for it.

So. Coth Collective, Help me.

Deltaway, Chocomare, Ayrabz, Tara, and everyone else that has one... please. for Mr. Catersun- Pictures please!
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

My father built me one ages ago. I love that closet. It is 6' h x 5' w x 4' d. Its huge! Much bigger than we anticipated but he did atleast put it on wheels thank god. Has double front doors, with shelves on one side and bridle hooks on the other. He divided the interior in half with more shelves on the left and the right can easily handle 3 saddles, though right now it only has one with a shelve below the saddle rack for saddle pads. Lots and lots of storage. He did eventually put vents in the back of it to stop moisture build up. And while at a flea market he came across some brass plates with horse heads on them. He cleaned them up and hung them on the front of the doors. They add a great touch.

The things I would change... It doesn't seal at all, so mice can get in through the doors... The shelves are way too close together for them to be really useful, although I can remove them as desired. Also where he placed the saddle racks was not highly functional the first time around so they had to be moved around.

I will try to get pictures of it if I can. It is really messy inside though, as I have just randomly stuffed stuff in there recently. Lol I really should spend some time cleaning it out, especially since I can't ride for the next 6 months...
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Default links to other discussions

If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

For ease of clicking, here's my Armoire:

Exterior Front

Left Side

Right Side

Fully Open

The pull-out basket system was purchased from Home Depot in the "closet organizer" department. I bought 2, 5-basket systems.

One of these years I'll paint/stain it.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Chocomare, how wide is the side with your saddles?

Show jumper... how far apart of the shelves?
    any one have anything handy gor girth storage?

I'll write myself a note to get measurements for you tonight. Cuz if I don't write it down, this brain forgets!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

My husband made me this tack locker and I love it.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1..._7753563_n.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1..._7773686_n.jpg

The favorite little details that I especially enjoy are:

1) The bar on the front to hang wet saddle pads. He used curtain rod holders and the bar can be taken off to open the locker and I just put it back up before I leave

2) The towel rods on the side for wet boots. I've since changed the bars from towel rods to some hefty ones my husband welded, but before someone knocked a towel rod down it worked quite well.

3) The vents on the sides to keep things from getting funky. They are the air vent covers and I keep them open for the most part, and then close them up if I want for whatever reason

4) The pull out drawer for bottles - no more knocking everything down to reach the bottles in the back.

The locker is at my "regular" barn that I won't be back at for another month so I can't get measurements for you, but I basically brought home the stuff I wanted to put in my locker and my husband built the various compartments based on the size of my stuff
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

That is awesome... I love the bar on the front for the wet saddle pads. thinking I want to put a bar inside like that too for clean pads.

Quote Originally Posted by LDavis104 View Post
    My husband made me this tack locker and I love it.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1..._7753563_n.jpg

The favorite little details that I especially enjoy are:

1) The bar on the front to hang wet saddle pads. He used curtain rod holders and the bar can be taken off to open the locker and I just put it back up before I leave

2) The towel rods on the side for wet boots. I've since changed the bars from towel rods to some hefty ones my husband welded, but before someone knocked a towel rod down it worked quite well.

3) The vents on the sides to keep things from getting funky. They are the air vent covers and I keep them open for the most part, and then close them up if I want for whatever reason

4) The pull out drawer for bottles - no more knocking everything down to reach the bottles in the back.

The locker is at my "regular" barn that I won't be back at for another month so I can't get measurements for you, but I basically brought home the stuff I wanted to put in my locker and my husband built the various compartments based on the size of my stuff

Oh and on the side of the locker that you can't see, I have a nice big coat hook where I hang my helmet and girth. The key is to not put gross, smelly, sweaty stuff inside the locker in the summer
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

1 members found this post helpful.

My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

So this isn't exactly a made for tack piece. We've got a variety of trunks (big wooden & Dan's trunks) in the tack room but I needed to do something with this ugly piece of furniture. It's solid wood, originally used as an entertainment center for those old school giant speakers, stereo w/turntable, etc. Hopefully this link will work:

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/us...190e8.jpg.html

This will go in our tack room (our barn) - no need to be able to padlock it like we would if we boarded somewhere. Saddle pads fit in the TV space; on either side of that, I put up brass hooks to hold schooling helmets, paddock boots, 1/2 chaps, etc. - one side for me, one for DD, to keep daily use stuff at hand. I put cheap doormats on the bottom so the paddock boots won't sit directly on the wood.

The shelf above the TV spot...I'm thinking thin line pads and stuff like that. A bandage box we used to take to shows will hang on one side of the cabinet; storage behind the doors at the bottom for clippers, braid box, etc. The wire basket on the pull out stereo shelf will probably hold woof boots, etc. There's a lot of storage space in this thing.

Again, this isn't exactly what OP is talking about, but just thought I'd share. This odd piece of furniture has been sitting in our basement for years and I couldn't see it being thrown out. It's completely non-functional for an entertainment center...I think it's going to work well once I find someone to succker into moving it for me. LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

Here's my recent posting in re: my armoire :
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ng-the-cabinet!

Mine probably? won't be one your hubby would purposely design to, as mine is also re purposed. But it was (!) a great find for my particular location needs...I love how its in the corner, and I had the two large doors made into two bifold doors, that when open, are NOT hanging out into the aisleway---they fold totally back against the front for full access. I am still in the stages of outfitting the insides, and will follow this thread with interest to see? all the great input and organizing ideas. One thing I'd like to know is: If you're installing your own saddle racks 'one above the other' (I want three....) can you guys give a reasonable distance between them for me to follow? I"m in HOPES I can position all three inbetween the two 'rods' already in there, so that I can use the portion under the rod for other storage organizing. Just not sure what you guys find is : workable to stack the three, with good access to each of the saddles. (I want pads stored elsewhere, so just the saddles on the racks.)
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Ayrabz- your closet is the closest to what I have now, and I have 6 saddles stacked on three racks each above the other I'll take a pic and measure for you when I wander outside today, maybe tomoroaw as I'm on stall rest and not feeling well) my goal is to have a rask for each saddle in the new cabinet. but I need to figure out how far apart to place two racks of three. Bluey has a wall in her tack room that I want to be the back of my cabinet.

I like your bifold door idea, but I want to use my doors to store bridles.. not sure how to make the two ideas coexist.

That is Gorgeous. we will definately be staining ours when finished.

Saw this on Pinterest today. Not quite an armoire but a tack locker.

http://pinterest.com/pin/190980840420295224/