The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FEI catagorized rider list?

I saw this list recently, but I do not remember where I ran across it. Does anyone have a link?

I have had to go searching for this several times as it is not easy to find on the FEI site. What a surprise. I have had the best luck researching through Eventing Nation archives - go to the EN page and type in FEI categorized rider lists. Should bring up several articles that provide links. The US list is easiest to find. When you do find it, intrepret it for me! Doesn't make a lot of sense, or I need much more coffee.

Its hidden under "Rules" on the FEI page. FEI, then Discipline button at top, then eventing, rules, on left hand side of page, scroll down the rules page and under "Athletes Categories" there is a list of countries, click on USA.
    Pegasusmom, it does take a lot of coffee. Here's what I gleaned from the list:
    You need 15 MERS to move up to the next category. That changes in 2014 to 20 MERS. As you look at the list of riders you can see how many MERS they have at each level. Adding the numbers across gives you the total number of qualifying scores, which is the same number as in category D.
    Let's say you purchase a CCI** horse ( I wish). If you have the mininum number of MERS in the 2* category, which is C, you can run that horse at the 2* level right away without going thru the qualifying ladder.
    So those riders in category A can run a horse at 4* those in B, a 3* and so on. The largest category, D, means the schmucks have to qualify the horse from the 1* level. In theory, this prevents someone from running a horse quickly up the levels without doing their homework. I think its a good thing.
    The interesting take away for me was how many riders don't have qualifying scores at certain levels. For instance some advertising themselves as advanced riders only have a smattering of qualifying results. Hmmm.
    The list only includes results from the last so many years, maybe 10, I can't remember.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    The interesting take away for me was how many riders don't have qualifying scores at certain levels. For instance some advertising themselves as advanced riders only have a smattering of qualifying results. Hmmm.
    If a rider has done MANY Advanced HT, but no FEI ***, do you not think they could/should be described as an "Advanced Rider"?

The list only includes results from the last so many years, maybe 10, I can't remember.
    I think I heard it was 8 years.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

What are MERs and how are they tabulated?

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    If a rider has done MANY Advanced HT, but no FEI ***, do you not think they could/should be described as an "Advanced Rider"?.
    I do absolutely. I misspoke. Rather the list makes it a little more clear those who have the credentials. Their FEI credentials have to be Qualifying scores at the level. Do you know riders who have MANY advanced HT under their belt who do not try to do the FEI level? Just curious. I would think that to do many HT at advanced the rider was certainly aiming for something higher.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    What are MERs and how are they tabulated?
    Minimum Eligibility Requirement
    To get an MER
    dressage score no higher than 75 (FEI score)
    XC no jumping penalties and 90 seconds or less time at 1,2,and 3* 120 at 4*
    stadium no more than 16 penalties at obstacles

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Let's say you purchase a CCI** horse ( I wish). If you have the mininum number of MERS in the 2* category, which is C, you can run that horse at the 2* level right away without going thru the qualifying ladder.
    But. . . if you purchased (or are handed) a CCI** and don't have the minimum number of MERS for a Category C classification (so is it this year 16??) you have to start at the 1* level with that horse. Or at least that is what was passed on from USEF to me. Unless of course the rider is from another country in which case the whole mess gets passed off to another governing body which is very slow to respond. I don't think it is a bad thing, just a bit frustrated trying to get sorted out exactly what one has to do.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    But. . . if you purchased (or are handed) a CCI** and don't have the minimum number of MERS for a Category C classification (so is it this year 16??) you have to start at the 1* level with that horse. Or at least that is what was passed on from USEF to me. Unless of course the rider is from another country in which case the whole mess gets passed off to another governing body which is very slow to respond. I don't think it is a bad thing, just a bit frustrated trying to get sorted out exactly what one has to do.
    Answer to first question is yes. It's 15 this year, 20 next.
    OK not logical since this is FEI, but, I think what they are saying (USEF) is rider first has to be qualified by their NGB, then the FEI kicks in. But to do a two star off the bat rider would have to have the MERS at the 2* level. If not start at square one. More coffee please.
    BTW Congrats on the nice finish.
    Last edited by SLR; Feb. 1, 2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: addition

And can we have that coffee with a little something in it?!

Thanks btw! It was a nice debut.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I needed the info for my daughter. It is an interesting read, for sure. DD is categorized at a level, but it was interesting to note that only 7 or 8 US riders have completed more CCi****s in the last 8 years than she has.

Also, it will be difficult for US riders to make it to the top level with the cost of FEI events in this country.

In Germany there are not really any national level events at prelim and up. From there on it is all FEI, which are very reasonably priced.