The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question What's the minimum acreage you can run an event on?

Just curious...
    I saw in the Chronicle that Lamplight had been sold (which I already knew from here) and that they had held the American Eventing Championships in the past and the new owner was looking to "bring back eventing". The article says the facility sits on 56 acres. That seems small to me for a facility to hosts events, no?

The cross country course at Lamplight was across the street, on what I think was Forest Preserve land, not Lamplight's property.

Depends on how many levels you want to run and how many entries you want to take. . .

Default Ohhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    The cross country course at Lamplight was across the street, on what I think was Forest Preserve land, not Lamplight's property.
    Well that makes sense. I've never been to Lamplight but I enjoy reading the horse show highlights from that venue in the Chronicle.

So let's break it down...

How many acres to run a Novice and Beg. Novice registered event - 1 day with "a full day". I would think this would be the minimum type of event for a rated one.

Of course at unregistered events you see all kinds of creative things happening! We ran one over "an outside course" that was just a simple loop with small trotting and slow cantering jumps - no galloping! At best it covered maybe a length of 3 acres. Just to give our lesson kids a sense of riding "outside the ring at faster than a walk" kind of thing.

Like I said in my original post, when I read that Lamplight hosted the AEC's I would imagine that would require a very large amount of land! (More than 56 acres). So how much land for an all level, multi-day, high prestige kind of blowout?

I can't remember how big Suncatcher Farm was but it wasn't huge (maybe 30 acres) and they ran recognized BN-T for years. Mind you there was almost no on-site stabling (I think 20 stalls) and everyone else had to hack in from down the road.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

If I remember correctly, Pine Top Farm in Georgia is approximately 200 acres and Southern 8ths is around 300 acres, but my guess is that you could run an event on 56 acres if so much of it was not taken up by barns and rings and other permanent structures.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Default Not as much as you might think

It is more about efficient use of the land than about acres. I am amazed at how clever use of limited acres can make a great course that teaches the horses well and yet can be done in a small footprint and that is good for teachers and spectators. The CC course itself is one issue but then the parking, the stable tents, multiple dressage rings, warmup areas etc need to be considered. Then the topography of the land has to be considered. Sometimes all the acreage in the world won't get you one flat area for parking and one for dressage. PatO

1 members found this post helpful.

I bet Spring Run has pretty small acreage and they run a great show.

Depends on the layout of the land/facility I think. Our barn runs unrecognized BN-T shows on about 30 acres. This is with *lots* of space for trailer parking, two outdoor sand rings, stadium jumping in a flat grass paddock and cross country held in two adjoining paddocks. Their land is blessed with a big hill, so we even get terrain to deal with (there are two huge banks at the Prelim level I think).

It is well laid out, organized and planned to the hilt so even 80 + entries for a one day still has everything running smoothly.

I remember reading that Rebecca Farms is 640 acres (a square mile).

(That's not to say they need all that space, it may just be what they have)

Rubicon was 110 acres I believe plus a field they borrowed from the neighbors that was used for parking. They ran BN through Prelim.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Greenwich Park, which hosted the 2012 Equestrian Olympics, is 180 acres. Not all the park was used. The public came by train, so no car park, and the horses were living on site but delivered through a security compound just outside the park. For cross county, terrain is perhaps more important than area.

Shepherd Ranch in CA runs intro-prelim. Main property with all rings and xc is ~20 acres. Lease a field from neighbor for portable stabling and parking. It works but is tight. We run ~160 horses. Absolutely no way to run in less than 3 days, one discipline per day. All rings must do double duty.

There are a couple here in the UK that run on less than 80 acres. The South of England Horse Trials runs BE100 (training level) through CIC** and uses its space particularly well. The site is nominally 150 acres, but I'd estimate they use about half of that including parking and stabling.

You can do a lot without much space, but you have to be a bit creative!