The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joy of Spring: Severe Weather Alert

We are expecting some booming good times tomorrow, 'strong winds', 'squall line' and unstable are the key words in the forecast, with temps of 72F right now, we can probably assume the chance for rotation will be high as well.

Tuck your ears in, peoplekins, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

where are you Alagirl? I know you are east coast...but where?

The warning will be the entire South tomorrow, with really bad weather tonight running North and South through Arkansas. Tomorrow in East Central Alabama/Georgia it's going to be 100% chance of rain, 70's, windy, and possibility of tornadoes.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Oh how I wish it were Spring. You still have almost 2 months to go. Hang in there.

Aiy Aiy Aiy. I just could not live where tornado threats are common. Not only worrying about your animals, your property etc but your kid in school, 35 miles away from where you are at work and nothing you can do about it but hope...... I'm just not cut out for that. 72 degrees right now sure sounds nice though ;-) Hope everyone comes thru the weather unscathed!
    Kerri

It is just east of us today - we're right on the borderline. I DON'T want the tornadoes, but I'm tired of watching rain slide right by us. (And I do have sustained 20 mph winds today - all the bedding has been blown out of my stalls. Fun fun).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I'n at the KY, OH, IN tristate area and we are on the upper end of the storm zone with only a 5% tornado risk... I love the advance forcasting they have these days- but I almost wish I didn't know what might be coming because it would be nice to enjoy this 70 degree weather without thinking that it's just the calm before the $hi+ hits the fan.

Just yesterday, stall cleaning- I found bits of fiberglass insulation in 2 stalls... which was baled up from the vast debris field of the March tornados... sad reminder that just keeps coming back.

Signing off soon to go clean out the gutters!

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    where are you Alagirl? I know you are east coast...but where?
    Ala-Bama

Middlish, there's about.
    About 30 minutes down the road from me is the farm that lost 2 horses a couple of years ago....tornadoes suck. But it's bad enough when you have 2 months to worry about them...but it seems like fall season grows more and more into spring season and vise versa....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Not spring. Not hardly. This just sucks.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Depends upon if you use a thermometer or a calendar to define spring. Either way, stay safe.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Tornadoes possible here tonight and/or straight line winds and/or large hail. It's January; why are we having spring storms? We're under the gun from 8PM to 2AM. Night weather is by far the worst. There is a separate wind advisory, since they are talking the possibility of 45 mph gusts. P;us 1 to 2 inches of rain.

I have a personal tornado alley and have lived through 3. It's given me weather related PTSD which kicks in with the wind.

We're in the redlined area on this NOAA Storm Center map:
    http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0076.html

And the red area here:
    http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Just sitting and waiting for it to start.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Jan. 29, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    I'n at the KY, OH, IN tristate area and we are on the upper end of the storm zone with only a 5% tornado risk... I love the advance forcasting they have these days- but I almost wish I didn't know what might be coming because it would be nice to enjoy this 70 degree weather without thinking that it's just the calm before the $hi+ hits the fan.

Just yesterday, stall cleaning- I found bits of fiberglass insulation in 2 stalls... which was baled up from the vast debris field of the March tornados... sad reminder that just keeps coming back.
    I'm just up the 75 from you in the Dayton area and I gotta tell you that it was a guilty pleasure riding outdoors tonight in only a polo, breeches, and my regular leather boots in late January.

But you know the bottom's gonna fall out of the barrel tomorrow night and my jump lesson on Thursday is gonna be freakin frigid.......

Waiting here in W. Tennessee. Just very windy so far, and in a Tornado Watch. My tornado phobia has been helped by educating myself on the weather and using various sources to keep up with upcoming weather. And keeping in mind that, although violent and scary, tornados are relatively rare and localized. Which doesn't help when the alarms go off and the TV guy says it's heading my way. Try getting 5 cats and a dog in the closet under the stairs.

Just a severe weather watch here in Lex. Everyone further south, stay safe!

Everyone in the stormy areas, be safe! Sending positive vibes!

Well the line of storms is just about to hit me. Doesn't look as bad as it did an hour ago, but weird things happen down here in southern MS. Not even under a tornado watch, but the edge of the watch box is just off to the NE of me. Should be a fun couple of hours.

Yes I'm a weather nerd. Can't help it when that's what you get your degree in.

It's due to hit here in about two hours. While the squall line is thin it's moving rapidly in an almost parallel direction, so it's hard to tell how long we'll be in harm's way. There are overlapping tornado watches all along the line up into at least West Virginia.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Good luck and stay safe, you guys!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Up-to-the-minute lightning strike map: http://thunderstorm.vaisala.com/expl...=1193947649046
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams