The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We had a diva recently leave with her three horses. Two were in full training so it hit the BO's pocket book. But dang there is peace in the barn and that is priceless!
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    The next step is when you find out that she really wants the kitchenette because she's been living in the ceiling above the tack room for a few months now...
    Gee, you'd think a shower and potty would have first priority.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Gee, you'd think a shower and potty would have first priority.
    Nah, we've got a nice wash stall and porta-potty, logical that a kitchenette would be next

2 members found this post helpful.

OMG, I know your BO. I can't imagine him putting up with this sort of nonsense. **laughing so hard soda just squirted out of my nose**

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    When I was BM at a barn I had a boarder ask me to use the tractor and move a river that was adjacent to the pasture. The river flooded a bit when we had some tropical storms and this boarders horse loved to roll in the mud. She wanted me to dig a new path for the river to move it so her horse would stop rolling.

Nothing surprises me anymore. I'm glad your boarder was given boundaries!
    Oh yes.... Had a boarder once (DQ, sorry folks) who wanted the farm owner (jumper rider) to move all the jumps out of ring and set them up in the hayfield. She was so smitten with the idea that she went trotting around telling everyone that it was GOING to happen. The other jumper riders at the farm were less than amused...

Some folks just love to redesign as soon as they arrive. Some of my other favs, suggested within 30 days of arrival, include

"You know, it wouldn't cost you that much to install a sprinkler system in the indoor."

"You know, I bet it would only cost about $50,000 to finish the club house..."

"You know, it would only cost you $3000-$4000/stall to create individual runs for each stall."

"You know, it's not that hard to get wireless internet installed."

"You know, I know a guy who can get you a generator cheap."

I usually tell folks, "you know, it's not that hard to go down the bank and get your own $2million loan so you can buy your own horse farm!"

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm Very familiar with this situation and the BO (as in, he's my ex) and I predict this lasts about 1 more week, tops!
    I've been hearing the stories and this lady is Interesting, to say the Least!! Lol

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, goodness. Good luck!

We had a similar situation @ a barn I boarded at a few years ago--trainer moved in, started taking over the tack room, moving people's stuff, rearranging/redecorating, etc. without permission. She was also constantly using other people's stuff without permission. We all just sort of gritted our teeth and ignored it as much as possible (barn owner was very much hands-off and we didn't want to be drama queens about it). When she moved all my stuff from the tack room to a shed out back, I was pretty ticked, and I ended up leaving soon after. Things apparently got much worse after that, as she she was still using and occasionally losing other people's stuff, moving things without permission, etc. There was a LOT of drama and she eventually ended up moving, which everyone else was very happy about.

That type just never seems to change. But maybe she can provide you guys with some more amusement before she eventually gets herself kicked out.

Where are they going to put the sauna, tanning bed, gym and hot tub? You might as well get that too as long as you're putting in the kitchen.

I think people like this exist for the amusement of the rest of us.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

2 members found this post helpful.

When I was BM at a barn I had a boarder ask me to use the tractor and move a river that was adjacent to the pasture. The river flooded a bit when we had some tropical storms and this boarders horse loved to roll in the mud. She wanted me to dig a new path for the river to move it so her horse would stop rolling.

I had to read this one twice to make sure I was reading it right! Thank you for the chuckle.

no. Please tell me this is made up. lol.

I think you should pick up one of those Little Tikes kitchenettes off craigslist. Drag that into the tack room...maybe even put an EZ bake oven on top.

You really should try to be more accommodating. LMAO!! I love having my critters at home.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    I had to read this one twice to make sure I was reading it right! Thank you for the chuckle.
    I read that one out loud to my parents to be sure I was reading that right. It didn't sound any more reasonable to them, either.

We had a boarder here who was pretty bad too...I won't go into details other than to say she blamed us for her horse's psychotic attitude - her horse was 8 years old and had never been turned out with another horse, and she'd been on individual turnout. Very particular about all the details. Third day here, horse went crazy and plunged THROUGH part of the fence when she saw someone coming to get her for feeding. And she had free choice hay in her pasture, and a huge pasture with plenty of room. Boarder blamed us. Also blamed us when she fell off. Moved after only about two months, thankfully - we all felt like we couldn't do anything without her looking with a critical eye. The boarder was nice, but very particular when it came to her horse - wasn't a good long-term type of situation, and she's since moved to another barn where she and her horse are much happier because they are at more of a premium facility. That makes me happy for them, honestly. and us.

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    We had a boarder here who was pretty bad too...I won't go into details other than to say she blamed us for her horse's psychotic attitude - her horse was 8 years old and had never been turned out with another horse, and she'd been on individual turnout. Very particular about all the details. Third day here, horse went crazy and plunged THROUGH part of the fence when she saw someone coming to get her for feeding. And she had free choice hay in her pasture, and a huge pasture with plenty of room. Boarder blamed us. Also blamed us when she fell off. Moved after only about two months, thankfully - we all felt like we couldn't do anything without her looking with a critical eye. The boarder was nice, but very particular when it came to her horse - wasn't a good long-term type of situation, and she's since moved to another barn where she and her horse are much happier because they are at more of a premium facility. That makes me happy for them, honestly. and us.
    The funniest part is that her horse is an ABSOLUTE SAINT! It's a young-ish OTTB, who is calm as can be, she takes her into the arena chases her around, riling her up, gets on and horse is STILL a saint... We've joked that we'd like to keep the horse, if it would just pick a different owner

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    The next step is when you find out that she really wants the kitchenette because she's been living in the ceiling above the tack room for a few months now...
    Oh my God, that post is probably the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum!

there are loons at every barn! as we say the "craaaazy" horse person with a large eye roll. Most are harmless just clueless. The barn managers always know who they are and will side with the more reasonable boarders. I once had the pleasure of dealing with a loon of a barn owner. I was paying for full board but the horses were only brought in to be fed. Board was expenive but the norm for the location it was very close to my house. Well I had had him there for a few weeks and one day the barn owner (flaming red super curly huge hair btw) came literally stomping down to lecture me. She gave this entire lecture in a half screaming voice....it was actually quite frightening. She informed me that when my horse peed or pooped in the stall EVER I was responsible to pick it out. He had peed in his stall a few days previously when she fed him breakfast and expected me to clean it out. She then proceeded to tell me that I was a slob because apparently now it was my job to sweep the entire portion of the barn outside my horse's stall. She would sweep the whole barn but in front of his stall lol. I swept up after picking his feet but apparently that wasn't good enough. While I was fuming inside because she had never asked me to do any of this when I talked to her about boarding there she then went on to explain that I would have to start picking out the paddock they were in because it was just too much work for her with another horse. I gave my notice that day and actually left earlier biting the bill. If I pay you for full board which is stated in my contract then that's what I expect. I work a full time job and pay for those services so I can go to the barn to relax and ride not get yelled at.