The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Royal Canin Rabbit and Pea.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    check the labels- the Hound & gatos rabbit cat food has duck liver in it as well as rabbit. I also see no mention of added taurine, and cats fed on non-supplemented rabbit diets often suffer from taurine deficiency. It's possible the duck liver was added for that purpose? they haven't added duck liver to their other cat foods.
    The cans I have only list "liver" rather than "duck liver" so I'd hoped it was rabbit liver. If it's not, well, we'll just see how the kitty does on it. I don't think she's ever had duck before. Some of their other formulas also have duck liver. Their pork variety does not, so that's probably going to be next up if Portia doesn't do well on the rabbit.

Taurine is the ninth ingredient in the rabbit cans: http://houndgatos.com/rabbit-catfood.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Justmyluck View Post
    Royal Canin Rabbit and Pea.
    As I've already said, I'm not interested in feeding peas to a cat. I'll also never, ever feed Royal Canin again...not after their food killed one of my cats with a recall issue. No way in hell. If I have to do RX, I'll do Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Well, I tried to talk my husband into feeding the cat some of the organic, pasture raised pork we bought this winter, but he was not amused with the idea.
    Most cats are not crazy for pork anyway

www.evangersdogfood.com/?p=dog_gamemeats They are for dog or cats.

Quote Originally Posted by csaper58 View Post
    But, sadly, are not complete. These are all labeled "for supplemental feeding only."

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Thanks for the ideas, all. Lots of places to look. Still so tough to find something that will work.

Homemade raw would be a last resort, but an option if we get to that point. Just sounds like a LOT of work.

Any other suggestions?
    Well now, actually homemade raw really isn't that much work. There are places on line where you guys in the US are lucky to be able to order raw meat online. You can then add the vitamines etc depending on your meat choices. More choices than I have here in Ontario.

I highly recommend having a look and a good read at this site: http://felinenutrition.net/index.html

This girl knows her stuff! She has an IBD kitteh as well. I was overwhelmed with the raw but after reading though this site and checking out the simple recipes, it turns out to be pretty simple! There's a lot of really good information on her site as well.

Simkie, I can't recall...is your IBD kitty confirmed IBD and now you're trying to see if there's an allergy component or is this food trial part of the diagnostic process?

We did the food trial (dog) with Z/D to start just because if the problem persisted on that (and it did) we could pretty effectively determine that it wasn't a food allergy and move on to the next thing as far as trying to get a diagnosis. If that had worked, we would've then started looking for a combo that would do the trick. Might be cheaper and quicker in the long run for you if you're just trying to rule out food allergy. Maybe?

Good luck!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

We have a textbook case of IBD on ultrasound, Buddyroo--so much that they did not feel biopsy is required. We're treating with steroids and Cerenia, which has resolved the diarrhea, but Portia is still vomiting fairly regularly. My vet told me to give a novel protein diet a try.

I've used z/d in the past, but I'd really rather use a better quality food, if I can. Portia seems to be doing well on the rabbit (knock on wood) and I do not believe she has had any vomiting since we switched.

If we're just not able to get the vomiting to calm down, then I'll go to the z/d, but figured I had time to explore other options first. The kitty isn't critical and is a good eater, so is a good candidate for playing around with her diet.

Gotcha. Sorry, I know we've talked a lot about Portia on some of my threads about my dog, but my memory sucks. Thanks for the recap.

I hear you on the Z/D. Wasn't my fave either.

Out of curiosity, has her blood work looked pretty good w/ no liver/kidney issues? I'm sure it's just my mind screwing with me, but whenever I think of chronic vomiting in kitties, I think of liver/kidney problems. Seemed like every middle aged to geriatric vomiting cat we ever saw at the clinic had one or the other.

Wish you the best with Miss Kitty. Hope you can find something that agrees with her!

Oh, one last thing...are the steroids going to be a long term thing for her or is the goal to take her off of them after a time?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Yep, bloodwork was all fabulous, minus a high eosiniphil count. I always assume renal failure when a kitty gets sick, until proven otherwise. Although, really, ever since I switched to entirely wet food, I've not had any issues with high kidney values.

I'm not sure what the plan is with the steroids. We're using depo-medrol, as little as possible. I believe it lasts for about three weeks...but when I had a cat with asthma (Portia's sister, Celia--she's now gone to live with a friend of mine) we used quarterly depo injections to control her asthma. So I imagine with goal with Portia will be to use as little steroid as infrequently as possible to control her symptoms.