The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses beat the crap outta my clothes!

I ride professionally, am outside almost all day, sweaty, in the sun... its only January but our first sunny week means I am already rocking the beginning of my glove tan line for 2013.

I am endlessly frustrated with my polos and breeches getting SUN BLEACHED. Sweat, dirt, sun... it's obviously rough on em.

Anybody have any tips or tricks for minimizing the damage? Am I missing a trick in the laundry room? Maybe I'm just destined to have a high replacement rate! I'm not trying to make any kind of fashion statement, just hate looking too icky (unprofessional).

Wear lighter colored clothes so the sun bleaching will not be as obvious as soon; wash all clothes in cold or warm water with a detergent made for cold water; line dry or tumble dry on low heat.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

1 members found this post helpful.

I find that clothes dried on the line, even though they're in the sun, fade less than those dried in a dryer.
    However, I'm having a little trouble connecting with this topic, since it's about 10 degrees and windy and my riding clothes are covered by too many layers to fade

8 members found this post helpful.

LOL at the glove tan line. Almost as bad as my runners' sock tan line. No amount of self-tanning gel can camouflage freakishly white feet attached to tan legs.
    Are you wearing cotton polos? Might want to try technical fabrics, like what runners wear. My stuff sees many, many hours of sun and sweat, and tends to look great for multiple seasons.
    Also try a gentle detergent. I am willing to bet it's more the detergent you're using rather than the sun. Tide's "Total Care" is supposed to be good for no fading.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

It's been a long week. I had visions of horses with sticks and brooms beating the laundry hanging on the line. I have golf polos from Nike (got them at the outlet store) that are technical fabric that never fades. They are great and cooler than cotton in the summer.

2 members found this post helpful.

Line dry them inside the house or garage so that they don't get hit by the sun as much. There are lots of options for different dryers. Search on-line or check pintrest for ideas. I have 2 that I lower from the ceiling in the garage so that the laundry is up over my head while it dries.

I second the suggestion for technical fabrics. They may be more expensive up front, but I have both running and riding technical shirts that have help up to several years of abuse in terms of both wear and sometimes being washed by the SO who does not follow the directions on the tag :P and they all look fantastic!

My tops are okay, but my jeans... I'm lucky if they last six months. I'm hard on them.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Technical fabrics tend to hold up a lot better than cotton IME. Pick tans, light pastels, even white clothes.

First off I hope you are wearing LOTS of sunscreen. The sun is not your friend.

I wear white tee shirts. Hanes mens teeshirts. They never fade from the sun. Bleach if you need too. They get stained, or ripped, by new, make them as a rag for the horses, or to clean tack, or whatever - dusting the house/car.

I tend to wear a light long sleeved cotton big(not giant) mens shirt when outside. I hate sunscreen, makes me really hot, bug spray too. This helps to keep the sun off of me, bugs also, and I only put sunscreen on my face and neck, and hands if exposed(like bushogging). Of course underneath is my white teeshirt. I consider them my workshirts those tees. Sometimes it is just too dang hot to wear long sleeves. (I live in the south too). But you have to decide if you want skin cancer or to be hot.

I wear tropical rider enduracools. These hold up really well in the heat/humidity and they do not fade as much, or at all as others tend to. I have dark green, navy and a brown pair.

Thanks guys, lots of good tips! I hadn't even considered that I needed to stick to the technical fabrics.... all my troubles are with cottons.

I did think maybe the fading was detergent related.... except the breeches stay completely unfaded under my tall boots. There is a clear line. So I'm thinking it's gotta be sun/dirt exposure.

Breeches take a year or more to start looking faded. The cotton polos go fast!

Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Denali View Post

I did think maybe the fading was detergent related....
    Can't offer any advice for the light coloured breeches fading, but if the polos are dark colours and cotton, you really need to switch to this stuff for your darks. My work uniform is navy blue and mine stay dark while I see my co-workers fading and looking worn. DH's usual "work uniform" is jeans, and his black ones would fade so fast he'd be replacing them every 6 months. Not anymore now that I've switched.

my cotton polos get faded quickly too. I started buying men's name brand polos (aeropostale, abercrombie, etc, nice striped ones that are long enough to tuck in!) and have had much better luck with those. When they DO fade, they still look good because they're made to look that way....not sure why, but it works. Looks much better than the ones I paid good money for that were dark blue and black and now look....well.....icky. and are all stretched out so I look really fat if they aren't tucked in really well.