The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

No advice past what has already been given. Just going to add some jingles for your mare.

Any update? Jingling for good news.

She is on SMZ's, and has 3 places where abscesses burst on her hock, 2 on the inside and 1 on the outside. Hoping she pulls thru for her foal. Vet is thinking lymphangitis. I dealt with a broodmare that had cellulitis before, but it was never like this.

Unfortunately because of the lack of decent vets in the area I have lost 2 foals from them not being aggressive enough. This current vet is not responsible for those.

I will update, sorry been working a lot and horse chores in this cold just take so much longer.

2 members found this post helpful.

I had a mare do this luckily when she was not in foal. Please try to get her on something stronger than SMZ's like Baytril or her skin and tissue will start sloughing off. It might not be too safe for the foal, but no mare=no foal!
    equistarfarm

I agree that SMZ's are unlikely to fix the problem but am glad to hear it isn't a fracture. I would want regional limb perfusion at a minimum along with IV antibiotics. Jingles.

I had a mare with cellulitis. Her leg was premanently in a stovepipe shape. Luckily, she was sound, but I did have to put her down due to some complications from that...

The only antibiotic recommended for that, given the inherent circulatory issues of lymphangitis/cellulitis, was chloramphenicol. Brace yourself, it's horrible to handle and costs an absolute fortune.

BUT, it's apparently THE one that will reach those infected tissues and get the job done.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Huge Jingles & AO for your mare and her unborn and YOU during this most difficult and worrisome time ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I know it can be difficult but given the difficultes with vet care in your area- can you get her to a clinic or vet college?

When my gelding had a bad case of lymphangitis, vet told me to get him moving as much as possible. We hand walked several times/day for maybe 4 days, then he was turned out and still hand walked later in day. He was on some antibiotics stronger than SMZs but not the one mentioned above by EM, which comes with a warning that you do not touch the meds...
    Given your (cold) climate, the walking might be tough, but anything you can do in that direction will help.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Sending jingles!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I hope the OP's situation is resolving. In cases like this, my first thought is for the injured leg. My second thought is that the opposite limb may founder.

Last time I had to deal with such acute an lameness, I had my farrier out right away. He was able to hold the "good" leg up long enough to squirt in Equathane, so the horse, at least, was standing on a solid platform and not just on the rim of his shoe.

A week later he was able to put a special founder (Sigafoos) shoe on the hoof even though he had not foundered (yet).

He never did have any problem with the opposite limb, but I was still glad I had acted proactively.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Jingles & AO continue ``` this is not an easy assignment ~ ((hugs))
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Feb. 5, 2013 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks for the replies. I asked about stronger antibiotics and am waiting for a call back. Forgot to add that her temp has been normal through all of this. I took your advice and put her in my small paddock with my pony, and the ground is nice and flat for her. She is actually walking on the leg, where before she wouldn't even touch the ground with it. I don't think I could haul her to the clinic. MSU is about 2 hours away and she is way too wobbly, I am afraid she would fall in the trailer. Overall she looks and acts like she feels better. She went right over to the round bale and rubbed her entire body on if from chest all the way down to her rump. She is happy to be outside, she is not much of a stall type horse.

That sounds promising Derby Lyn. Best wishes

Jingles & AO continue ~

I had one that didn't always spike a fever. Did they take a culture at all to see what antibiotics would work?
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Bumping for an update ~ Jingles & AO ~

Sorry you're going through this. It's hard enough to have an injured or sick horse but it's so much worse when they're in foal. You're worried about the mare, the foal, the drugs being given to the mare how they affect the foal or not...... it's terrible. More jingles being sent your way.

Bumping for an update.
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

Not a whole lot to update. She is walking on it now, and the swelling is down, but she is still not right. The vet came back out Friday while I was at work. He was suppose to x-ray it again since last time it was so swollen. He didn't bring his x-ray machine, no culture was done.

It has been a bad year for me already. My other mare had her foal this morning and it was still born. He looked healthy, although he was a few weeks early. Calling a vet friend of mine tomorrow to see if she can possibly come out sometime this week.