The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default USHJA Certified Trainer Profiles and Search

Check out the new Certified Trainer Search. Search trainers by name, location, or business name. Click on the "View Full Profile" to see cool graphs of the trainer's show results - both as trainer and rider - pulled from the USEF database. Click on the graphs to see detailed show/horse/rider names and results.

There are about 300 certified trainers so far. They all have profiles, and about 50 have added additional information, including pictures and business specifics.

Is your trainer certified? Find out! If not, encourage them to get on the bandwagon. Hopefully this will quickly replace the "Moving to Elsewhere, need a trainer recommendation" threads.

The graphs are complicated and not descriptive at all. Also misleading in the ones I checked.

SO glad to see this -- its a huge step in the right direction! The graphs are extremely hard to interpret. Its hard to determine what the charts are doing and they do not tell you what level the trainer has experience at.

I haven't looked at the site. Does it contain information about the trainer's suspensions? Writing of bad checks etc ?

Don Slaughter/Equisport International was on the USHJA "certified" trainer list while he was suspended by USEF despite this: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...=Don+Slaughter.

I don't believe he is currently listed there, but if you read the thread, you can see that he was at the time...

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I struggle with trainer certification actually equalling qualification. I personally know several "certified"trainers, and frankly some of their resumes are not only lacking in actual experience, but also contain outright fabrications.
    That said, I will probably do it because of the insurance discounts.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Out of curiosity, I entered a few well known trainer names into the search function. Check out Missy Clark's profile, as an example. Compared to the North Run FB page, it would seem that there is quite the disconnect....

I also looked up trainers in my area. All I can say is, ... oh, my.

Look, I am not opposed to a certification program; in fact, conceptually I think it is a good thing. But certifying people who watch 11 online videos (taking a "short quiz" after each) isn't really all that compelling a credential.

I am not saying that there aren't some good trainers who are now certified; there definitely are. But I don't think they are good because they went through certification; they were good trainers already who took the time (and paid the fees) to get the designation.

Hopefully the program will improve as it becomes more established.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

1 members found this post helpful.

I also would like to see any USEF suspensions on the list.

The graphs were cool in my view. I looked up two trainers that I know, one which states that she takes her students to rated shows. The graph shows one rated show since 2006.

They do need a lot more in the database - only 11 in the whole state of Mass??
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

The one really good thing about the new charts & graphics is it eliminates the lying. ALL USEF records for shows over the last few years are on the trainers page, its shows how many shows they attended each year & you can look up exactly which divisions their students showed in & how successful they were. No more "oh yes I show each year at WEF" when in reality they're an up down trainer. If you want a trainer for a specific kid, like a beginner you could chose a trainer that is very successful with the little ones or you want one that wins at everything, it's right there at your fingertips. Now granted some trainers may not like this because it puts it all out there & for everyone to see!!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

And see, this is another issue I have. I have been training some very successful kids for the last year in Ohio, but you will not find my name on that graph because I work for another trainer who signs the entry blanks. I am still the one doing the training, but I will be called a liar because I dont make it on to that graph??
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm on it!

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I struggle with trainer certification actually equalling qualification. I personally know several "certified"trainers, and frankly some of their resumes are not only lacking in actual experience, but also contain outright fabrications.
    That said, I will probably do it because of the insurance discounts.
    Please do it. The more qualified trainers who support the program, the more likely USHJA is to keep going forward with the program. Competition results are still the easiest way (not necessarily the best, however) to judge the "merit" of a trainer, but that has to change somehow. I think this program will be a "base line" from which to go forward. It is SO FAR from being a perfect system, but we need it. A system such as this will ultimately be a good way of tracking those who "follow the rules" and those who do not as well as those who are qualified to do the job they say they can do.

I think they're trying to get as much support as possible in the "Level 1" category before they start allowing people to "move up the ranks" (when they decide how they're going to test/qualify this). I'm really hoping that they structure it after the USDF program.

I also went to a clinic (not the online stuff) and really enjoyed it. I appreciated the format geared towards trainers and teaching/training. I got quite a bit of valuable information out of it. I also met some trainers with whom I would consider doing business because I know they're dedicated to their own education. This I value highly.

Wow, tough crowd !

Quote Originally Posted by leyla25 View Post
    The graphs are complicated and not descriptive at all. Also misleading in the ones I checked.
    I'll accept the criticism of "complicated". I disagree with "not descriptive", unless you mean the titles could be improved, and some descriptive text added. However - "misleading"? Could you be a little more specific about that?

Quote Originally Posted by justathought View Post
    It’s hard to determine what the charts are doing and they do not tell you what level the trainer has experience at.
    I think there is a lot in there that shows the trainer’s experience level. The number of years as a professional is included in the business information. The graphs show what shows they attend, the levels that their clients show, and the competitions in which they have placed. What else would you like to see?

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I haven't looked at the site. Does it contain information about the trainer's suspensions? Writing of bad checks etc ?
    I’m pretty sure suspended trainers are supposed to be removed from the list. I know they do background checks every year.

I struggle with trainer certification actually equaling qualification. I personally know several "certified" trainers, and frankly some of their resumes are not only lacking in actual experience, but also contain outright fabrications.
    I think this directory is an attempt to shine some light on trainer resumes so people won’t end up feeling like you do, that trainers fabricate their credentials. Hopefully more will be added along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Out of curiosity, I entered a few well known trainer names into the search function. Check out Missy Clark's profile, as an example. Compared to the North Run FB page, it would seem that there is quite the disconnect....
    I can’t see the North Run Facebook page. Realize, however, that all the data is based on the trainer signing entries. At a larger facility, there might be more than one trainer or person who signs entries, and that might make the graphs look different. There is a mechanism to “share” results among trainers, but you have to complete your profile to make that happen. I don’t know if that’s what’s happening there, but it’s a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ET's Home View Post
    They do need a lot more in the database - only 11 in the whole state of Mass??
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by 111 View Post
    ALL USEF records for shows over the last few years are on the trainers page, its shows how many shows they attended each year & you can look up exactly which divisions their students showed in & how successful they were.
    I love your enthusiasm! Just a point of order: the detailed graphs only show the last 12 months of data. The only “historical” graphs are the horses by discipline and money won. There is a proposal to add some more historical “highlights” but that is not implemented yet.

And see, this is another issue I have. I have been training some very successful kids for the last year in Ohio, but you will not find my name on that graph because I work for another trainer who signs the entry blanks. I am still the one doing the training, but I will be called a liar because I don’t make it on to that graph??
    See above, there is the ability to share results with other trainers if that is appropriate. Two other points: first, there will be a period of adjustment as people realize the consequences of signing the entry forms. Second, there is a place at the top of the profile for you to explain yourself, and discuss your association with the other trainer and clients.

Quote Originally Posted by sp56 View Post
    I'm on it!
    What you said!!

So when a trainer's suspension is over, and they are allowed back on the list, will there be any mention that they ever received a suspension? Or how many times, and what the infract was?

In theory, a good idea. Practically, why do away with threads asking for references? Even if they are certified or have a website (no one lies on the Internet). I ask for references when I hire someone.

No offense, this is a tad like when equine science came on the scene as a degree. Some good horse kids got their degrees, some not so great horse people, all trying to replace some very experienced people with no degrees... ( this is not an attack on ES majors).
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

So rated show results are now considered the best measure of teaching ability?

Someone who attends unrated shows, starts riders, coaches at home, sells great horses, shows primarily in no-money classes with greener horses, horses, teaches clinics, spends time emphasizing horsemanship, teaches autonomous students (responsible for their own horses' feed/meds management) who sign their own entry blanks, I could go on and on...but these types are not represented in those graphs.

And if you aren't CURRENTLY showing top horses at "A" shows...these records don't go back far, and are only as good as USEF records--which means horses that aren't life recorded or aren't going for points will often not be on the graph. USEF records can be right...or they can be VERY wrong, as many of us know. Of the trainers I looked up, most are only credited with a few years of experience, when several I am sure have careers spanning decades. How odd.

And money won as a RIDER? What on earth does that have to do with safely and ethically teaching people how to ride?

As far as suspensions, how about a suspension HISTORY? Surely that is at least as important as "money won as a rider," and speaks to a person's ethics much more effectively than how many AAA shows they take their students to.

The current USEF definition of 'Trainer' has little to do with who actually is the instructor or rider. It's who has care, custody or is responsible for training or performance. Often a rider does not have the horse in his or her barn. Sometimes the horse lives at home with the owner. In that case an Amateur Adult is signing as trainer.
    Sometimes the rider is a catch rider and the person who trains the horse or schools it is someone else who may or may not have signed as trainer.
    In some cases the person signing the entry blank may not be involved with the horse other than feeding it.

So I'm not sure Trainer stats are ever going to be accurate.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by NumberTenOx View Post
    Hopefully this will quickly replace the "Moving to Elsewhere, need a trainer recommendation" threads.
    Dear lord I hope not! I would never take the recommendations of a graph over those of living breathing human beings...

I would be curious to see what the consensus is among TCP trainers as to whether this is a good idea or not.

I have not spoken to any who were even asked (and I know quite a few).

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I agree with those who are suggesting that the trainer's entire professional history be listed. Meaning, list any disciplinary procedures, suspensions, fines and what they were for.

Given the current propensity of many to have grooms sign the entries as the trainer, I imagine that the graphs might be... of limited use, let's say.

And again, I suggest that if the USEF is getting into the trainer certification business, that they certify some sort of COMPETENCE (like the BHS system) NOT the ability to watch a few videos and take an online quiz. I mean, seriously... I am quite sure that if those are the qualifications, I could easily "get certified" as a trainer - and I am just a typical adult amateur, hardly someone qualified as a professional.

Until and unless the process is actually designed to measure real qualifications... it is just going to be a marketing gimmick.

I am sorry to be so negative, as I really AM in favor of some sort of (real) certification program. But the current iteration of the TCP is so weak that I actually think it takes away from the concept, rather than adding to it.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    So when a trainer's suspension is over, and they are allowed back on the list, will there be any mention that they ever received a suspension? Or how many times, and what the infract was?
    There is no mechanism for this, no. However I'm not an expert on suspensions, aren't they public knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    In theory, a good idea. Practically, why do away with threads asking for references? Even if they are certified or have a website (no one lies on the Internet). I ask for references when I hire someone.
    I should not have said that, of course it's great to ask people's opinions. I just meant this will hopefully develop into a tool that will allow clients searching for trainers to be able to find the ones in their area and have a way to characterize what those trainers do and determine if it's a good fit.