The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hoof help needed for soft type feet

Let me start by saying that I am used to tough pony feet that don't need shod (except for past founder issues type feet).
    My POA has an issue with tearing up his walls on the sides, but not the heel or toe. When I purchased him, his feet were long and tall. By this I mean that he had height to his feet, but not untrimmed type of length. It was a icy/snowy winter in Iowa that year, so we had regular iron shoes with borium dots for grips. The farrier there was good, but consecutively took off too much foot. By the time that I left and got a new farrier, his feet had crumbled on the inside and out so that they looked like little pointy "V" hooves. He would not hold a shoe at all, so the new farrier had us let him grow them out and I used easy boots for a couple of years.
    I am riding him on rougher ground here and going to schooling shows now that I am here in PA. For the past two years I have had him shod until the worst of winter, Jan - Mar. The farrier did a good job and helped to get my pony comfortable and going well. This year, I kept the shoes on all winter and he was doing great in his paddock until last week. I go out and both shoes are pulled clean off with wall again off of each side of both feet. I did find one shoe, bent as if he stepped on it and the wall of his hoof is still attached to the outside of the nails.

Back to square one.

I started using Dumor hoof supplement in Iowa, then changed to Farriers Formula on and off here in PA (unfortunately, this winter was off). I dose for 1000lb size (though he is a bit less than that) and use keratex gel on the outside of his hooves per the directions especially after shoeing.
    His feed is Safe Choice, which I mistakenly thought would have a good enough amount of biotin in it to stop the supplement.
    Somehow, he found a way to pull them off out in the paddock. They have been on for a few weeks already and they were a reset. They were not lose or problematic in any way the prior week when I rode him. It is a hill side paddock, so I am thinking he was playing or running and stepped wrong??

My farrier and I discussed the matter and decided that we need to wait for some foot to grow back before putting shoes back on. I will use the easyboots when I ride.

I have never dealt with hooves that chip away like this and I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. I am used to hard footed welsh ponies. My guy is 13.1hh. His feet are white striped black like a typical appy and he is built like a little stock horse complete with the smaller feet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do better? I purchased Farriers Formula double strength again and keratex hoof hardener. I won't take him off the biotin supplement this time.
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    I go out and both shoes are pulled clean off with wall again off of each side of both feet. I did find one shoe, bent as if he stepped on it and the wall of his hoof is still attached to the outside of the nails. ........
    I have never dealt with hooves that chip away like this
    Are the shoes side clipped? Regardless, what you describe is not 'chipping' it is tearing or ripping of the hoof wall and is not necessarily indicative of any problem with the hoof per se.
    It is a hill side paddock, so I am thinking he was playing or running and stepped wrong??
    A distinct possibility/probability. Is the paddock muddy? Are there trees with exposed roots? Is the ground really uneven?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    Are the shoes side clipped? Regardless, what you describe is not 'chipping' it is tearing or ripping of the hoof wall and is not necessarily indicative of any problem with the hoof per se.

Sorry, I should have said no clips. Just plain rim shoes.

A distinct possibility/probability. Is the paddock muddy? Are there trees with exposed roots? Is the ground really uneven?
    Yes mud this time of year is a definite. No trees in this paddock, but yes, it is hilly here as we are in a valley. This is a dairy, but my pony has his own paddock, not shared with any of the cows. The pastures all have some sort of slope to them, unfortunately. Weird thing is, it has been even muddier at times this winter and I had no problems whatsoever.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

we get about 60n inches of rain a year here where I live...

the standby recipie is
    On dry feet ! apply durasole to the underside,pipe cement sealer to the outside and don't let the feet get wet
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    we get about 60n inches of rain a year herewhere I live...
    Feel free to ship me 25 inches of that.
    the standby recipie is
    On dry feet ! apply durasole to the underside,pipe cement sealer to the outside and don't let the feet get wet
    Pipe cement sealer is a new one on me. I'm going to have to check that out.

1 members found this post helpful.

. . .
    Pipe cement sealer is a new one on me. I'm going to have to check that out.
    I'll be looking for a mushroom cloud over the horizon in your direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    I'll be looking for a mushroom cloud over the horizon in your direction.
    More like a meltdown after I have inhaled enough of it. There's a reason they sometimes call that stuff 'pipe dope;........Especially if someone uses it near an open flame, say, a lit forge.......

More like a meltdown after I have inhaled enough of it. There's a reason they sometimes call that stuff 'pipe dope;........Especially if someone uses it near an open flame, say, a lit forge.......

yep...years ago at a very pricey farriers place Himself asked for the bathroom and entered the wrong room....the room full of bottles of pipe dope that was being re-labeled as hoof sealant...
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    we get about 60n inches of rain a year here where I live...
    And people think the Pacific Northwest is wet...but you're getting more than us! I feel better now, as I look at my still-too-wet to ride arena.

I am using durasole on the bottom and Keratex Hoof Hardener on the walls for my three. All have in the past made farriers cringe trying to find enough hoof to place nails (i.e., have had shelly, crappy feet at times). Last appointment, farrier jokingly complained about the hard feet making him work so much, so I think we're on the right track. They are also on a good diet and have gravel paddocks and dry stalls at night, so not spending as much time standing in mud and muck as they did when boarded out. That has undoubtedly made more of a difference than anything I'm painting on.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post

Last appointment, farrier jokingly complained about the hard feet making him work so much, so I think we're on the right track. They are also on a good diet and have gravel paddocks and dry stalls at night, so not spending as much time standing in mud and muck as they did when boarded out. That has undoubtedly made more of a difference than anything I'm painting on.
    I view soft feet as basically an allergy to water....so if I let them in the water then I am only adding to their drama....there have been very few over the years that have required anything much at all but those that do can really kiss wet ground goodbye until we have that back under control....

nothing a farrier can do for them until we do our part

Tamara