The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Drool worthy Canter Boy

Honey Badger don't give a s*#^!

"..a three-day event is not a test of speed and endurance, it is a test of character" ~JW

1 members found this post helpful.

He is gorgeous! What a shame about the knee chip!

But its an easy fix...enabling here!

"..a three-day event is not a test of speed and endurance, it is a test of character" ~JW

Well a chip can be a big deal in many cases depending on the location, length that it has been there and the ease of removing it. I have seen many horses who are absolutely done in terms of having any kind of future career because the joint is destroyed by a chip. These are young horses 3/4yrs so I would absolutely not take a horse with a chip unless I had a very good sport horse vet review the xrays. I will also warn that I have gotten xrays from vets at the track and the vets tell me the horse will be fine for future use but sport horse vets do not concur with their opinion. In many cases, the xrays taken at the track due not give enough views of the knee/ankle (etc..) to form a true opinion. You would be amazed at the amount of arthritis that can be caused from a chip that has been left in and the horse continues to race on it.

I sure hope somebody gets them but just want them to do the homework so that he isn't kicked back out on the market or sent off somewhere else if the chip isn't just "easy."

3 members found this post helpful.

Spot on JLGee

Hey Judy while you are feeling better....what else catches your eye that is available? Any bay geldings anywhere?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

If someone were going to do surgery anyway, could you have the DVM shorten his canon bones behind just a scoach? Thanks.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    If someone were going to do surgery anyway, could you have the DVM shorten his canon bones behind just a scoach? Thanks.
    Agree, don't like the trailing hind end on this one -- looks like it would be hard for him to collect/get underneath himself. But he does have a lovely expression!

At that price? I would have him examined. If a (the correct) vet (or even take him to a big surgery) thought his chip was operable, I would go ahead and have that done and consider the cost well worth his purchase price.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

He is very handsome!

Wonder why his registered name isn't listed? Assuming it isn't "Jeff'. I didn't check
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Hey Judy while you are feeling better....what else catches your eye that is available? Any bay geldings anywhere?
    Cherry Fitz because I saw him in person and he is ever bit as nice as the 2 I bought....

2 members found this post helpful.

ya it bugs the heck outta me when I can't look up a TB pedigree.

I think his price is so low because the seller knows someone will have to geld him and deal with his stallion behavior for a little while.

I freakin love him.
    He reminds me of Boomer when Boo was that age.
    I def have a soft spot for a horse who sports Chubari spots.

(scroll down to the SECOND gray horse)
    http://picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/8183691

If I could see pedigree--I might be drooling ALL OVER the OP horse. ; )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Well I'm glad someone has found him lovely, at his price, with his needs. I was definitely thinking more along the lines of Ambitious Kate's thought process. Maybe someone will scoop him up! I think he is lovely but know nothing about what is livable/fixable with these OTTBs. I have one myself, with a long back, but is really nice when he is put together. Grey too

He should be free. He needs $2500+++ in vet work, 4-6 months off and still might not hold up as a sport horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    He should be free. He needs $2500+++ in vet work, 4-6 months off and still might not hold up as a sport horse.
    I commend the trainer for asking for a very nominal fee to remove the financial incentive for the horse to wind up at a slaughter auction the next week, personally. If you can afford to keep a horse, you can afford such a nominal price.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    He IS free to the right home. Trust me, any OTTB listed for $500 (and even up to $1000, sometimes) is free to the right home, they just put a price on to weed out a few annoying types of "buyers."

But if you showed up there, looking normal, with a trailer, and said "I'll take him and get the surgery done, and turn him into something productive." then they would have him wrapped in five minutes for you and his papers in an envelope. Promise.

Wow, that is a lovely horse. I don't think he's too camped out behind--just short backed and leggy. My horse is built like that and tracks/overtracks quite nicely. I love his neck set/how short coupled he is.
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.