Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

And in case any photographers are reading and are considering "wants", let me concur with those who've said that 100 rapid-shutter shots of the trot circle in dressage or close-ups of my horse's head are not what I want. I can take close-ups of his head any time. I want JUMPING PICTURES, and preferably over something that looks big and interesting, even if it's only Training level.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

GRC's prices are ridiculous (except for that disc) and their quality of photos has taken a huge down swing the last couple of years. I'm not even sure I could find 15 pictures I would actually care to buy from this year from them for that disc. I've bought ONE picture from them this year, and it was my epic splash picture when I fell in the water at Waredaca. It was overpriced, but the comic relief makes it kinda worth it...

Personally, I LOVE Brant Gamma's deal. A print and a low res file to use on FB, etc. I think it was $25 or 35 a piece. I bought two (I DO like having prints to frame) from the one event she was at that I attended this year. I also love Red Horse's inexpensive low res files, which I have bought several of. Both photogs I really wish were at far more events. Their quality is far and away superior than GRC's. Maybe GRC will remember quality over quantity will bring in more customers. Or...it will at least bring me in more often!

I only used GRC once, over two years ago. (They're not local for me) but I remember thinking that their prices were fair and the photos were nice quality, however they took FOREVER to arrive - like literally a show in October of 2010, and the photos arrived in early 2011.

Please deliver your photos in a timely fashion. If you're not equipped to fulfill the orders, maybe you don't need to push the keychain/snow globe/ poster cutout orders. Stick to one or two options (prints and discs) and get them out quickly.

Better yet, host the photos online so that people can download their digital media once they've paid and cut the step of burning and mailing a disc out altogether.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

a disk with all photos for $50 or less

See, I have no interest in ALL my photos unless ALL the photos are decent to great. I have zero interest in spending $50 or whatever on a disc if 3/4 or more of the photos are just garbage. I want a couple of GREAT pictures of me jumping BIG fences, in sharp focus, where my horse and I take up a good amount of the frame (so, don't take pictures of me from a quarter of a mile away). I'm good with some decent gallop pictures, but don't waste the data on 30 of them between every fence. I'm good with some more "personal" pictures (a pat, a smile, and funny face). Really...I don't need 50 pictures from each event. I don't even need 1 picture from each event, but the pictures I do buy, or the events I DO want pictures from should be well composed and catch us looking as good as we can (obviously, some of that is dependent on MY riding ability and my horse's participation in the day).

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    If there are more than 2-3 good photos I buy the whole CD.
    Well...you can always share the bad ones with us here on COTH in those "Let's see your bad EQ" threads!!!

I remember a friend had taken several pictures one time while I was working Rory (including the pic in my profile), and just sent me the whole day's worth via email... including the picture of me bending down to pick up the lunge whip, and showing about four inches of the crack of my ass. If I didn't have >18 on my FB page, it would have gone up as my profile picture.
    Last edited by TheJenners; Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typo
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

1 members found this post helpful.

As a horse show mom also, I like buying the whole CD of images, especially when my daughter has a "big" day and finishes well, or does her first event at some location. One thing I don't like is having to pre-order the CD in order to get the reduced price. Then, if her event turns out lousy, or the pictures are awful, you're stuck with it. I usually pay between $85 and $125 for a CD of all images. It's kind of expensive to do often, so we only do it for special occasions.

I'm with YB. I'm not really into buying CDs, as I prefer only one or two good photos.

I used to buy a photo or two from every event, back in the days when photographers had to PRINT OUT your proofs, put them in stacks or albums, and you looked at them the next day (or in the mail?). That 4x6" print was about $5; even Shannon Brinkman's photos were less than $15 apiece (if she was at an event, I bought Every One, she's amazing). While I LOVE the digital era and the convenience of looking at photos online, I don't enjoy paying $20 for a single photo. As a result, I am very selective about what photos I buy.

I know eventing is an expensive sport; but I don't budget "Show Photos" into my planning each year. I'm saving money for entries, gas, hotel, emergencies, QuicBraid, etc... and anything leftover might go toward a Nice photo. I would be much more likely to buy photos if they became affordable again; I think the high prices have driven a lot of people away. Increase sales by making pictures cheap, especially low-res digital images for facebook and websites. Be like iTunes and offer them at a couple dollars per photo, and they'll be downloaded by the hundreds. If they're cheap enough to buy, would there be less stealing?
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~