The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help finding someone to share lease my horse?

I ride dressage and have a wonderful horse who presently is training 3 ready schooling 1st. My fibromyalgia has gotten much worse and I find I cannot ride enough. I would love to find someone experienced in dressage to half lease my horse where I board.They could even show him.
    Does anyone have any suggestions besides on COTH where to advertise for someone?
    Years ago when I did the hunters I did try dreamhorse and got a bunch of really weird people and I would like to avoid that. Are there any dressage oriented on line places to post, etc.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

There should be a local GMO group in your area - ask your trainer. They should have a web site or newsletter where you can advertise. Also put up a flier in local tack stores. Talk to other area trainers. It should not be hard to find someone to help you out.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks! Other trainers would not be a help because my horse will remain with me and my trainer....no one will want to give up a client lol. But I forgot we do have a newsletter!!
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

post a note on the NEDA BB
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey2 View Post
    Isn't that the New England Dressage association? I am in New Jersey.?
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey2 View Post
    Isn't that the New England Dressage association? I am in New Jersey.?
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

ESDCTA, ECRDA are your local GMOs
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

1 members found this post helpful.

also, since your trainer will continue to benefit from you and probably the new leasee, they should as a professional courtesy assist you in this search
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Quote Originally Posted by baylady7 View Post
    also, since your trainer will continue to benefit from you and probably the new leasee, they should as a professional courtesy assist you in this search
    That is true. And she probably knows a working student or good junior riding looking for a horse to ride. I know when I was in jr high/ high school I couldn't afford a horse but rode whatever came my way! My trainer helped me find leases very readily and everyone involved benefited.

The horse world is incredibly, ridiculously small. If your trainer doesn't know someone who rides at your barn currently, she probably knows someone local enough to come anyway. I have to lease out my horse starting next month due to career and financial changes, but I advertised via trainers I knew and trusted and found a good situation very quickly. Email some of your barn friends, networking words wonders.

You can browse the 'wanted' listings as well on various sites to see if YOU can find anybody looking for a lease. I sold a horse by looking through the wanted ads.

My trainer has had really good luck with this/ site.

Also, isn't there a thread here that's in (maybe) Off Course? for rideshares?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

First, I'm very sorry to hear that you're having health issues

I would love to find someone experienced in dressage to half lease my horse where I board.They could even show him.
    The reality is that someone at a level to bring your green horse along, is likely also in a postion of having horse offers - ie you're unlikely to find someone at that level paying to ride your horse at the same time that they are training it ...

If you need someone to share in expenses, chances are you will get a lower level rider, so be sure to write up the lease to include X lessons per week with current trainer (eg 1 lesson followed by 2 rides, then a lesson again before more rides: this format is very important with a young horse & allows your trainer to keep everyone on the same page)

If you're still intending to sell this horse as a dressage prospect, either keep him in training or stay away from lower level riders unless the rider has exceptional feel

Obviously start any prospective leaser out with some lessons from your trainer (so there are no cross purposes between how you & your trainer ride your horse & how the someone experienced in dressage might ride)

PS I'm sad that you're so far away, I know a wonderful trainer that would be able to re-confidence your horse's jumping
    Hope you feel better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    First, I'm very sorry to hear that you're having health issues

The reality is that someone at a level to bring your green horse along, is likely also in a postion of having horse offers - ie you're unlikely to find someone at that level paying to ride your horse at the same time that they are training it ...

If you need someone to share in expenses, chances are you will get a lower level rider, so be sure to write up the lease to include X lessons per week with current trainer (eg 1 lesson followed by 2 rides, then a lesson again before more rides: this format is very important with a young horse & allows your trainer to keep everyone on the same page)

If you're still intending to sell this horse as a dressage prospect, either keep him in training or stay away from lower level riders unless the rider has exceptional feel

Obviously start any prospective leaser out with some lessons from your trainer (so there are no cross purposes between how you & your trainer ride your horse & how the someone experienced in dressage might ride)

PS I'm sad that you're so far away, I know a wonderful trainer that would be able to re-confidence your horse's jumping
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Reality-wise I am not looking for anyone to bring my horse up the levels except my trainer. When I say experienced perhaps I should have said not a beginner, and an educated rider like the level I am at. No free training for me....I worded it wrong. I have my horse on a training board...which consists of when I feel well enough I take a lesson if not feeling up to it trainer rides....it's a 3 day a week program.
    Trainer has a great kid working student who relieves us by riding but her pony was very ill and Mom spent $$$$ so cannot afford to share board my horse. If she could I would be in heaven!
    I have taken my horse off the market except for a possible share boarder, even 2 days a week would do it and of course lessons have to keep us all on track.
    I only had a brain fart and considered selling him because of $$$ and not riding but am hoping maybe new meds will help for fibromyalgia or my meds will work better. It's been a crappy year!
    Besides, the people who contacted me "Oy" for the most part but a couple of lovely people also! I realized I know my horse and he is kind kind kind so even if he becomes a pet why sell him...he makes me happy
    Where are you located when you talk about a re confidence person? You can PM me.
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Thanks for some great suggestions where to look....COTH always knows :-)
    And thanks Alto for the "feel betters"
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Parrotnutz View Post
    Reality-wise I am not looking for anyone to bring my horse up the levels except my trainer. When I say experienced perhaps I should have said not a beginner, and an educated rider like the level I am at. No free training for me....I worded it wrong. I have my horse on a training board...which consists of when I feel well enough I take a lesson if not feeling up to it trainer rides....it's a 3 day a week program.
    Trainer has a great kid working student who relieves us by riding but her pony was very ill and Mom spent $$$$ so cannot afford to share board my horse. If she could I would be in heaven!
    I have taken my horse off the market except for a possible share boarder, even 2 days a week would do it and of course lessons have to keep us all on track.
    I only had a brain fart and considered selling him because of $$$ and not riding but am hoping maybe new meds will help for fibromyalgia or my meds will work better. It's been a crappy year!
    Besides, the people who contacted me "Oy" for the most part but a couple of lovely people also! I realized I know my horse and he is kind kind kind so even if he becomes a pet why sell him...he makes me happy
    Where are you located when you talk about a re confidence person? You can PM me.
    I'm very glad you're keeping him

Definitely set up the lease then as one lesson with your coach & 1-2 days ride (with the option for more if you're not able etc, depending on your horse, you can likely still take him out for a hack or light ride even after your trainer or leaser have ridden him earlier in the day - just give extra grain after your ride).
    If you're open to kids, then that should allow more opportunity, send an email out to your local pony club (they often know many other riders besides the actual club), set up some nice posters at local shops, let your farrier & vet know (especially if you're open to short term leases), if your local riding clubs have websites, post him there.

Will send you a pm.

ALTO tried to PM you but your inbox is full....lol
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Parrotnutz View Post
    ALTO tried to PM you but your inbox is full....lol
    My pm page is completely inaccessible with the current forum malfunction - I'll try from the Mac later
    Or I can contact you via Parrotnutz
    - if that's your page?

So long as you sought through the nuts (which you can get anywhere) I would try CL's.

I am currently trying to find a rider to help condition one of my horses as I'm finding it hard to ride two. Posted on CL and have one possibility who looks interesting.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

If you are near any colleges or universities that may be another avenue to explore to find a possible lease rider; some young adult who had to leave riding behind to go to school.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

[QUOTE=alto;6775475]My pm page is completely inaccessible with the current forum malfunction - I'll try from the Mac later
    Or I can contact you via Parrotnutz
    - if that's your page?[/QUOTE

Parrotnutz@aol.com
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com