The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Growly sound when lying down, exhaling, resting? (this is the long time sick dog)

Okay, so...it's my loose stool, what the heck is it, dog.

Well, in the last few weeks, he's developed what can only be described as a growly sound when he lies down or is really relaxing. We've not yet done the ACTH, cancer is still on the list of possibilities though they saw nothing on the ultrasound or in biopsies. But he's been making this crazy growly sound as he settles in or lies down.

His stools firmed up with the endosorb, then got loose again when the kids were visiting. I think due to stress. Even the poodle got loose stools. Too much noise/activity maybe? I dunno.

But they're both settling back in to normal stools, normal eating.

Yet older dog is making these noises that he's never made before and I'm wondering now...is that a symptom?

It sounds like a growl almost. But it's whenever he lies down to relax. Am I maybe missing something? Freaking lung cancer?

Oy.

He's happy though, and put on all the weight he lost. And we don't have loose stools the last few days again so we're good-ish.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My JRT that had lung cancer had a mild cough - just like a person w/lung cancer. No growly sounds.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

It sounds like there's some sort of discomfort there and it might be G's way of going "Ungh..." when the motions of laying down push the right buttons. Observe when he makes the noise. Note his body posture, where his weight is put when he makes that noise, his orientation, etc. That might give you some idea of what it is.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm with Lex.

Our hound makes the most absurd noises when he's relaxing. I thought he was dying one night.... nope. Just relaxing. Maybe now that you've got his GI issues under control, it feels so good when he lays down.

Sending good vibes your way!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

No answers but the poor guy (and you) has been through so much. Hopefully it's just sounds and not an issue of any sort.

My old dog made those sounds (we thought it was mostly groaning/moaning) when he was resting and he ultimately died of congestive heart failure. In retrospect, we thought it might have been related to the pressure of the fluid around his heart. Not trying to panic you - my dog had a known heart murmur and it was at the very end of his life that it was then noted to have changed (he was almost 14); he was actually scheduled for a closer look and possible chest xray to evaluate it but went into distress over the weekend before his appointment.

If your dog has had a chest xray, though, it would seem that heart abnormalities would have been picked up. But it might be worth asking the vet about...

My 3 year old dog groans and moans when she lays down, sometimes she growls at herself, but it's not a mean growl, more playful. Hopefully it's nothing.

Is it possible that the loose stools in both dogs were a result of feeding of people food tidbits by visitors?
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

What Lex said.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Does it sound like he is verbally making growly sounds or does it sound like his stomach is growling?

Our dogs will occasionally get CRAZY loud stomach growling when they are laying down if they've eaten something unusual / too many treats (my dad doesn't listen when we say "no more food" ). It's insane.

If it sounds like he's verbally making the sound, then I'd suspect discomfort somewhere.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Oh BuddyRoo, I really want to send you some wine!

Is his tummy growling, or is HE groaning? When my dog sleeps, she groans sometimes, but its normal for her to do this. When my terrier was unwell, he groaned...but he was also clearly uncomfortable. So...I guess I wasnt much help here.

Generally when dogs have a lung tumor or mets, its evident more during exercise, not rest. I hope your dog has just decided to become vocal! Do you have any pain meds available (tramadol?) that you could give him? If the groaning stops then you'll know its potentially pain related.

Some of my dogs have done this when they are lying down, and trying to get comfy. Finding the right position, and fluffling blankies correctly is apparently hard work.

Or is your dog growling when a certain part of the body contacts the floor or bed? If it getting up or lying down? Or when a shoulder or hip hits the floor? It might just be getting comfy too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

If he'd always done this then I would say they were just happy noises but it does seem weird that it developed out of the blue. Does it seem like a reaction to painful joints while he is trying to lay down or more of a noise associated with trying to adjusted his stomach/chest once he's down and settled?

My old dog started doing a groaning sound when she would lay down too. It was so weird because she was not a vocal dog. She seemed fine otherwise except she started sleeping A LOT more. Then she started limping. We thought it was a pulled muscle in her leg or something. We took her into the vet and found out she had slipped a disc in her neck. The x-rays were clear as day.

We were able to put her through a round of steroids to allow the disc to slip back into place and for it to heal over.

My girl with GI issues does this too. Vet thinks it is mild discomfort, real pain= higher pitch whimper /nose whistle sound. He thinks pain is from now firm stool pressing on still irritated insides, or tummy trouble has been masking normal age-related aches and pains. She also has a bad hip.
    Tramadol helps.
    Last edited by csaper58; Jan. 7, 2013 at 03:02 AM. Reason: spelling

I've got tramadol and gabapentin. He was on those post op but we took him off both because he didn't seem to want to eat when on them. He had originally presented with anorexia and diarrhea. He had gone off food pretty majorly at the beginning of all of this. Was down 20 lbs.

The sound isn't the same as a growly stomach. His stomach does growl/gurgle occasionally but no more/less than usual over the last few years.

The sound that he's making is like if you were to hug someone really hard and squeeze the air out of them. He does it when he lies down. I've not heard it at all when we're on the trail, at the barn, going up and down stairs, etc. But he's a pretty stoic dog too so if there's something interesting happening (like say going to the vet, going for a walk, etc) he probably wouldn't exhibit pain unless he was near death. He hardly showed pain on palpation with pancreatitis, with the obstruction, or with the perforation and sepsis. About the only signal he gives if he's not feeling well is going off food.

He's eating really well. Activity level is good. Breathing sounds good. I don't have a stethoscope, it's buried in a box somewhere, but I did put an ear to both sides and listen for any wheezing or rattling or crackles. Nothing. They did do chest xrays when he had surgery, no issues.

I'm probably just overreacting, but this is new and I'm one of those "anything new is interesting" people. In 9 1/2 years, he's never made this noise until about a month ago.

As for the loose stools when kids were here, yeah...it's very possible that they got foods they weren't supposed to. I found empty bags of chips and such under SD13's bed, they have a habit of leaving their dishes out in the living room, and the poodle tore up the trash twice when the door was left open. So I'm not terribly concerned especially given that within 24 hours of the kids heading out, they are both back to normal. It's hard to keep on top of all the people and the dogs all the time. i'm sure you all can relate!

I am planning to take him in Wed so I'll talk to the vet then too. I probably will hold off on the tramadol until I can talk to her because I don't want to screw up any diagnostic stuff.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My other dog makes that air squeezing out sound when she lays down. She has always done it, I guess for her, laying down is quite an effort. There isn't anything wrong though, it's normal for her.