The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So excited - going to Kyra Kyrklund clinic tomorrow!

An all day event where she´ll demonstrate on riders and horses from the start and all the way to GP. Everyone that has been to a Kyra clinic says it´s fantastic! Can´t wait - and I´m a jumpergal, says it all doesn´t it?

Ooh, ooh, could you please ask her what happened to that lovely Lusitano, Rico, who she showed a few years ago and, of course, share the clinic with us. Thanks.

Lucky you! Enjoy and report back here please!

1 members found this post helpful.

OMG, I'm so envious! Love her books - can't wait to hear your report!

have fun!! And please I would love to hear a report too!!
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

You are in for a real treat. Kyra is great.

She's great. Whens she did the symposium for CDS like that, the basic lesson was OFF the leg, STOP from the rein. So, leg. No response? KICK hard! Forward! Until the horse MOVED off the leg. Same in reverse for the rein.

She's really funny. She did some great stuff for the SWANA presentation at the World Cup, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    She's great. Whens she did the symposium for CDS like that, the basic lesson was OFF the leg, STOP from the rein. So, leg. No response? KICK hard! Forward! Until the horse MOVED off the leg. Same in reverse for the rein.
    Yes, same start here! You tend to forget that and start pressing harder and harder when nothing happens. Back to the basics is my lesson No 1..

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    She's really funny.
    She sure is! Here´s a few pictures of her doing The Gangnam Style

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6092463&type=1

1 members found this post helpful.

Saw her at a NEDA symposium, one of the best clinics I have audited.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Will there be video posted anywhere for us??

Fantastic! Will be looking for report.

Also-- if at all possible, ask what's happening with her line of clothing-- absolutely the best for riding (or just plain living) outdoors in cold weather ever. Bought 3 coats, my daughters made all 3 disappear and would we (especially me) ever want others??!!?? (YES!)

Also have 3 Kyra videos + book I ride off daily. She's the greatest. I'm so green with envy. Tell us everything, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    Will there be video posted anywhere for us??
    I don´t think there was anyone filming.

There were a few magazines that will do storys and one have promised a slideshow so I will link when it appears.

I´m not very good at translating the horsey terms in english so for me to report will probably end up with a lot of gibberish. But I´ll try.

The thing that went thru the whole thing as a thread was that the horse has to carry itself and the reaction to the aids. Consistency from when you get up. If not walking forward from light touch with lower leg give small quick kick. Don´t take rains immediately if horse starts to trot, instead give praise. repeat until horse gets the drift. Same thing sideways. Never ever squeeze with legs, light touch with lower legs and if no reaction quick kick.

Also keep you hands still and never pull back. She had a leatherstring attached to the saddle which the riders had to hold on to for a shorter or longer period of time.

When learning new thing, keep it short and repeat often.

If horse doesn´t react the way it "should", question yourself & method and whether horse is healthy before/instead of "enforcing" it.

Conformation is important but the bumblebee doesn´t know it can´t fly so if the mind is there one can go far anyways.

Keep the horse happy, ride outside the arena at least once a week, let them go out in the field grassing, when strenghtening them make use of the hills around instead of collecting in the arena all the time.

When practising for show do the exercises in different place and order than in protocoll. Otherwise horse will learn and do the exercise before you give aid.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Also-- if at all possible, ask what's happening with her line of clothing-- absolutely the best for riding (or just plain living) outdoors in cold weather ever. Bought 3 coats, my daughters made all 3 disappear and would we (especially me) ever want others??!!?? (YES!)
    You might try this contact info - rumours (I've heard) were that it was discontinued, then transitioned under/into the Gersemi label.

If you look online, there is still some available (mostly at some clearance - especially in the UK), so if you know what jacket you like/fit, you might giive that a go

LucyShow thanks for the terrific photos

Quote Originally Posted by LucyShow View Post
    I don´t think there was anyone filming.

There were a few magazines that will do storys and one have promised a slideshow so I will link when it appears.

I´m not very good at translating the horsey terms in english so for me to report will probably end up with a lot of gibberish. But I´ll try.

The thing that went thru the whole thing as a thread was that the horse has to carry itself and the reaction to the aids. Consistency from when you get up. If not walking forward from light touch with lower leg give small quick kick. Don´t take rains immediately if horse starts to trot, instead give praise. repeat until horse gets the drift. Same thing sideways. Never ever squeeze with legs, light touch with lower legs and if no reaction quick kick.

Also keep you hands still and never pull back. She had a leatherstring attached to the saddle which the riders had to hold on to for a shorter or longer period of time.

When learning new thing, keep it short and repeat often.

If horse doesn´t react the way it "should", question yourself & method and whether horse is healthy before/instead of "enforcing" it.

Conformation is important but the bumblebee doesn´t know it can´t fly so if the mind is there one can go far anyways.

Keep the horse happy, ride outside the arena at least once a week, let them go out in the field grassing, when strenghtening them make use of the hills around instead of collecting in the arena all the time.

When practising for show do the exercises in different place and order than in protocoll. Otherwise horse will learn and do the exercise before you give aid.
    Love this statement!
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Last edited by LucyShow; Jan. 9, 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks so much for the posts and links. The photos are great-- can't read the text, but Kyra's body language is so eloquent-- and her core message does not change. Thanks to you, my young horse is again getting out of the arena once a week As for the clothes, I fear they're forever gone, the quality necessitating prices few could afford. I snapped up mine on ebay, feeling certain that the vendor was horrified by the bids that won (all under $200 for items retailing substantially above). The coats presently under the Gersemi -- just like riding coats everywhere-- come nowhere near competing with the Kyra's. Oh, the price of not paying the price Back to ebay, fingers crossed for quality "pre-worn" items!