The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 193
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    2,890

    Default

    Erm, point of order here...forgiveness only works when someone has asked for it. It's a cop-out to say you forgive someone and they haven't asked for it. You can let it lie and choose to move on with your life, but, unless asked, it can't be given. It's a two way street.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!



  2. #162
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    OP was just venting. She had literally just found out that the horse she thought grew taller than predicted, had actually grown to the size predicted because her trainer misrepresented her wants to the breeder.

    I've done the same with regard to posting before having a chance to cool off. Sure that anger at the very beginning is irrational but I'm betting everyone here has had it. We (I) just learn to cool off before posting anything on the internet.

    OP also said she had been uncomfortable with his size for a while. She didn't suddenly decide she didn't like him because of that after finding out the trainer lied. It just really ticked her off knowing she was in that position BECAUSE of the trainer.

    That said, hopefully OP is over her "mad" and moving on. Since she said she doesn't enjoy riding him, I do think the best thing she can do is sell him. At his height, she should get enough to find herself a smaller, but just as nice horse. Perhaps she could even get one from the breeder since she knows and likes the horses they have. She might could even work out an exchange.



  3. #163
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Qc
    Posts
    2,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponyrider212 View Post
    Thanks all, for the suggestions. Got just what I needed tonight from a lovely non-horse friend who helped me find an answer.
    I've read the whole thread, before everything from the OP went missing and the only thing I have to say is that after all was said here, the first thing she does is go get her answer from an unknowledgeable person.

    How long until she regrets taking such advice?



  4. #164
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    2,890

    Default

    I know this will come off mean because I don't do emotions very well on the computer, but, my thoughts all along have been "Suck it up, cupcake, and move on."

    If she is still reading, just know anyone on this board, if they have bought/sold/ridden/trained/raised/etc., every last one of us have an experience(s) of learning the hard way, no matter how we've tried to get it right. Well, basically, that's life. Learn from it and move on.

    Hope she finds the right horse.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Mar. 25, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,052

    Default

    Alibi_18,

    And what was the advice she got from her non-horse friend? In your opinion was it sound?

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    We climbed all over 2ndrygal for many of the same comments...(although she has redeemed herself since) why is it wrong here?
    I think piling on is proving to be an unsuccessful strategy for communication. As a small industry, we need to, if not nurture the 'community,' then at least refrain from destroying the willingness to participate.

    If some feel they have so much experience, perhaps they can develop a better strategy for communicating that experience. A strategy that does not involve making the other involved party leave.

    No one can accuse me of excess finesse or tact. (I am working on it, I swear)

    However... many, many, many people repeatedly bonking someone over the proverbial discussion board head does not seem to work as a communication method.

    I am a little confused why, when a certain idea has been expressed many times already, people feel the need to express that (negative) sentiment over again, and again, and again, and again.

    I think it is just lazy. And self indulgent. Easier to give in to knee jerk emotional nastiness than to take the time to come up with productive ideas. Easier to add your voice to the mob.

    But what is the result? The OP has left. And now everyone can sit around and say what a pathetic looser and jerk they are. So what? Did you win? Is that the goal? To ally yourself with the winning side?


    7 members found this post helpful.

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Erm, point of order here...forgiveness only works when someone has asked for it. It's a cop-out to say you forgive someone and they haven't asked for it. You can let it lie and choose to move on with your life, but, unless asked, it can't be given. It's a two way street.

    nah, forgiving somebody who has not asked for it can be very effective.

    Of course only when they know they have done your wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Qc
    Posts
    2,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Alibi_18,

    And what was the advice she got from her non-horse friend? In your opinion was it sound?

    Paula
    I don't know what the advice is but it comes from a non-horsey person! What does this person know about the value of a horse? About overcoming riding problems?

    OP stated that she thought she would have to sell this horse at a loss in her first now disapeared post. Why? I'm sorry but this horse must be worth MORE than what she paid to start with and could surely bring her way enough money to buy a more trained, smaller, less 'fancier' type of horse that she is looking for and that would suit her riding better.

    Really, at least, she should have asked her trainer or some horsey friend she has...

    She already feel 'screwed' by her trainer for finding her a well-bred, sound, nice brain, good looking horse from a reputable breeding farm...wait 'till she finds her friend was wrong...



  9. #169
    Join Date
    Mar. 25, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    I don't know what the advice is but it comes from a non-horsey person! What does this person know about the value of a horse? About overcoming riding problems?

    OP stated that she thought she would have to sell this horse at a loss in her first now disapeared post. Why? I'm sorry but this horse must be worth MORE than what she paid to start with and could surely bring her way enough money to buy a more trained, smaller, less 'fancier' type of horse that she is looking for and that would suit her riding better.

    Really, at least, she should have asked her trainer or some horsey friend she has...

    She already feel 'screwed' by her trainer for finding her a well-bred, sound, nice brain, good looking horse from a reputable breeding farm...wait 'till she finds her friend was wrong...

    You make my point perfectly. We do not ever have all the information when we're having this kind of discussion, but our brains have a penchant for filling in the gaps. So we very easily assume a great deal such as, the advice she received from her non-horse person is likely wrong. Do you know her? Do you know her non-horsey friend?

    No, of course not. My point exactly.

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Dec. 20, 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    what do you want?

    it's over and done with. The horse is the size it is, you either learn to ride it or you sell it.

    She is mad at the trainer? I get it. There are people I am mad at, for much longer than she is.

    but there is really nothing else she can do.

    She was gullible at the time, allowing a person to cut her off from communications with a seller. On a big ticket item.

    She is better off than those who get the unsound of mind or body lemon, or buying a pony when they need the big horse, since, well, the taller horse fetches the better price.

    After several comebacks (not to forget the idea of going Godfather on the trainer and putting a horse head - presumably the one of the unfortunate creature she owns) in her bed....I don't think I have ever had that fantasy....and I can come up with some wild stuff!

    patience does wear thin when you tell somebody a) the problem is really not that big even if the horse is and b) what the options are, realistically speaking.

    I really don't see there any other options.
    is it mean to tell her that?
    After 19 posts of butbutbut....
    yeah, that's when the sunshine and butterflies get scaled back....
    mean an bullying? If you think so. certainly.
    People had been doing it since the first page and it wasn't working. That's the problem. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again because you expect different results. You're saying you were insensitive and demeaning towards her because she was gullible? Are you implying that this is what gullible people deserve?

    Just think about it. I say it's important to be tactful, and you say it's not because she's gullible and said things that offended you. Sometimes you just gotta be the bigger horse.


    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I believe you when you say you are not aware of how this behavior is bullying.

    Why do you think so many people have the energy to repeat the same negative feed back over, and over, and over and over?

    The COTH 'community' seems to feel perfectly fine verbally 'whipping' an errant human over and over again. Though they would never tolerate similar treatment of a horse.

    Do you understand that screaming louder at someone who does not understand you will not facilitate communication with that person?

    The COTH 'community' acts more like a spoiled teenager wailing on a horse than anything else in these situations.

    If you saw someone striking a horse with a whip repeatedly until the horse broke free and ran away, you would understand why the horse ran away. Yet when you repeatedly attack a poster, you say it is their fault when run away.

    Do you understand how someone watching you engaging in this behavior would call it bullying?
    Yes yes YES!!!!

    Thank you for this post, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    I think, had the question been posed as "I bought a yearling and it grew larger than I wanted but is otherwise awesome, should I keep or sell?" the advice would have been much less emotional.

    Most of the fervor came from her glue factory comment and the suggestion that she might sue the trainer for setting her up to possibly end up with a tall horse. Horse death jokes and frivolous lawsuits both get people riled up here.

    I view it the way I view a horse being melodramatic: I just ignore all the unnecessary side drama the horse is creating until it goes away and focus on the task at hand. If I stopped everything and issued a correction every time a horse kicked out I'd never get anywhere. That's why in my post I completely ignored the glue comments. I don't reward those. I "reward" the parts of a post that aren't irrational by responding exclusively to those parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    OP was just venting. She had literally just found out that the horse she thought grew taller than predicted, had actually grown to the size predicted because her trainer misrepresented her wants to the breeder.

    I've done the same with regard to posting before having a chance to cool off. Sure that anger at the very beginning is irrational but I'm betting everyone here has had it. We (I) just learn to cool off before posting anything on the internet.

    OP also said she had been uncomfortable with his size for a while. She didn't suddenly decide she didn't like him because of that after finding out the trainer lied. It just really ticked her off knowing she was in that position BECAUSE of the trainer.

    That said, hopefully OP is over her "mad" and moving on. Since she said she doesn't enjoy riding him, I do think the best thing she can do is sell him. At his height, she should get enough to find herself a smaller, but just as nice horse. Perhaps she could even get one from the breeder since she knows and likes the horses they have. She might could even work out an exchange.
    Precisely this. I don't know how many times I've made a post in an emotional state and gone back to read it a few days later going "Wow, who WAS that person???". And on COTH I've sat and watched as an OP calmed down and was much more receptive and less emotional but people were still attacking OP and yelling at them over their original post. Which is ridiculous. We can say some pretty messed up things when we're angry or upset. Or alternatively we can jumble all of our thoughts and make an incoherent, poorly worded post that confuses people.

    Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    I know this will come off mean because I don't do emotions very well on the computer, but, my thoughts all along have been "Suck it up, cupcake, and move on."
    Advice shouldn't be emotional. It should be logical and tactful.

    If she is still reading, just know anyone on this board, if they have bought/sold/ridden/trained/raised/etc., every last one of us have an experience(s) of learning the hard way, no matter how we've tried to get it right. Well, basically, that's life. Learn from it and move on.

    Hope she finds the right horse.
    No, that's not life. Just because everybody else gets flogged doesn't mean it's right to continue doing it to the next person that comes along. And people shouldn't have to deal with it in the first place. As a horse person you should know that not all horses learn the same way. People are the same. There are some horses/people that can handle a more militant training style, and others that need a more reassuring style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I think piling on is proving to be an unsuccessful strategy for communication. As a small industry, we need to, if not nurture the 'community,' then at least refrain from destroying the willingness to participate.

    If some feel they have so much experience, perhaps they can develop a better strategy for communicating that experience. A strategy that does not involve making the other involved party leave.
    BLESS THIS POST

    No one can accuse me of excess finesse or tact. (I am working on it, I swear)

    However... many, many, many people repeatedly bonking someone over the proverbial discussion board head does not seem to work as a communication method.

    I am a little confused why, when a certain idea has been expressed many times already, people feel the need to express that (negative) sentiment over again, and again, and again, and again.

    I think it is just lazy. And self indulgent. Easier to give in to knee jerk emotional nastiness than to take the time to come up with productive ideas. Easier to add your voice to the mob.

    But what is the result? The OP has left. And now everyone can sit around and say what a pathetic looser and jerk they are. So what? Did you win? Is that the goal? To ally yourself with the winning side?
    You are my hero. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

    Riding instructors have to deal with a plethora of idiots, stupid riders and self indulgent kids on a daily basis. Imagine if they treated their clients the way COTH often treats people. Now, true, COTHers don't get paid, but if your real goal is honestly to help that person improve and make them a better horseman, you do not go about it by hitting them over the head with insults. I'd rather be sympathetic and welcome an idiot into my barn where they can actually learn a thing or two than call them an idiot, point out the flaws in everything they say and be completely unapproachable until they inevitably leave.

    If the goal of posters on here was actually to help and not take out their negative feelings on another person, they wouldn't chase people away.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  11. #171
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,482

    Default

    Advice shouldn't be emotional. It should be logical and tactful.


    Logical, yes.
    tactful?
    maybe.
    Sometimes no.

    However, some people do get their knickers twisted when they are confronted with unemotional facts, plain talk. Straight forward....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #172
    Join Date
    Dec. 20, 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post


    Logical, yes.
    tactful?
    maybe.
    Sometimes no.

    However, some people do get their knickers twisted when they are confronted with unemotional facts, plain talk. Straight forward....
    There are no bad students, only bad teachers.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #173
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
    There are no bad students, only bad teachers.


    nah, there are bad students.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    10 members found this post helpful.

  14. #174
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2012
    Posts
    1,655

    Default

    No kindly advice or coddling is going to change an attitude like the one shown by the OP- talking about glue factories and chopping her horse's head off all because horse is 4 inches taller than she hoped (and now blames the trainer ).


    It's weird and offensive to some so of course gets several negative replies along with undying support and loooove from others..


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #175
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2005
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    6,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    I've read the whole thread, before everything from the OP went missing and the only thing I have to say is that after all was said here, the first thing she does is go get her answer from an unknowledgeable person.
    I'm kind of wondering while folks are saying poor OP is being bullied by COTHers- when my read of the original post was 'trainer forbade me from contacting breeder.' Hello? Who's the bully? The person who is allegedly helping (for pay) the OP? And, frankly, who would put up with that from a trainer? (Better as an issue for a separate discussion thread no doubt). I also note the 'reason for editing' on post #1 is not 'I'm being picked on by COTH' but rather 'regret that I posted in the mood I was in.'

    Agree that the OP would do well to just suck it up, learn the lesson, and move forward with life.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #176
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,149

    Default

    I think maybe OT was closed too soon. I did not think this issue was much of a big deal. Op not comfortable riding a big warmblood....someone else would be. Who cares.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  17. #177
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2008
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    Ive not read this entire thread and don't know any more details about this horse other than it apparently got too big... well there are some horses that breeders hoped would be ponies and they got honies - sometimes it's hit or miss. We've a horse at my barn, dam was 16 hands, sire a large pony - they were hoping for about 15.2 and what they got was 16.2 hands. ; the fellow I got my horse from said he was 16 hands - he was under 16 hands for about 2 years and then had a growth spurt - it happens. I'm not sure how this was all misrepresented to the OP and geez and it's supposed to be a nice horse to boot. I can understand why the OP might feel it's too much horse for them. And while we don't know what advice their nonhorse friend gave them - s a person from the "outside" see things from a different perspective which can sometimes make more sense than those of us with more knowledge or experience. Like a fresh set of eyes.



  18. #178
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    2,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
    No, that's not life. Just because everybody else gets flogged doesn't mean it's right to continue doing it to the next person that comes along. And people shouldn't have to deal with it in the first place. As a horse person you should know that not all horses learn the same way. People are the same. There are some horses/people that can handle a more militant training style, and others that need a more reassuring style.
    I don't walk on eggshells for anyone and that means anyone. She and I might not synch, that's fine, others here are willing to deal a bit farther than I will. I'm not changing my ways of dealing with others to suit someone else's protected feelings. Believe me, I've come from a place very similar to her feelings, now I think it's just being a victim, which I refuse to do NOW.

    So, it might behoove her to get a grip, suck it up and deal with it. Sell the horse, trade the horse, keep the horse, but, criminy, make a decision and stick with it. Hopefully, the next horse she looks at, a bit of this episode will stick with her and she'll 'grill' the broker over what IS expected and what isn't. Victimhood isn't attractive.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  19. #179
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    I don't walk on eggshells for anyone and that means anyone. She and I might not synch, that's fine, others here are willing to deal a bit farther than I will. I'm not changing my ways of dealing with others to suit someone else's protected feelings. Believe me, I've come from a place very similar to her feelings, now I think it's just being a victim, which I refuse to do NOW.

    So, it might behoove her to get a grip, suck it up and deal with it. Sell the horse, trade the horse, keep the horse, but, criminy, make a decision and stick with it. Hopefully, the next horse she looks at, a bit of this episode will stick with her and she'll 'grill' the broker over what IS expected and what isn't. Victimhood isn't attractive.
    I mean, after a while you have to take action.
    Something.
    anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  20. #180
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    17,525

    Default

    Last barn. Same dam and sire. One was 17.2, the other 15.1. They named the little one Squirt. You just never know.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant



Similar Threads

  1. I screwed up...kitten/dog
    By dalpal in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Apr. 24, 2011, 07:26 PM
  2. Have you ever screwed up really bad at work?
    By Gray Horse H/J in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Jan. 18, 2011, 10:22 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jan. 4, 2011, 10:52 AM
  4. I give up... screwed over again
    By dmalbone in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: Dec. 13, 2010, 11:50 PM
  5. Why was the Screwed by Farrier Deleted?
    By irishcas in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jan. 11, 2009, 10:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness