The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone have a Sleep Number bed?

We are going to look at them tomorrow. Being a farrier, hubby always has an aching lower back and trouble sleeping. The Silver Edition with pillow top is on sale as is one of the c series without (not sure which is preferable). Sales appear to be frequent so we may or may not buy tomorrow. So, anyone have one, what kind, how do you like it?

Jennifer

We have had one for 9 years - still works great and we love it. It has never had any problems, it can be completely broken down and washed. It is pretty straight forward, the current models get pretty fancy and pricey. I'm very happy with our old simple one. My cousin recently bought a new one with all the bells and whistles. At first they regretted the purchase, but are getting used to it. Their regret was they paid too much for features they didn't need. So when you look, consider the simple basic model (assuming they have one) too!

1 members found this post helpful.

We hated ours and got rid of it after a couple of years. It had a pillow top, but still felt like an air mattress. I never really found it to be comfortable. I like a firmer mattress and my husband likes soft. The difference in firmness from side to side left a "cliff" in the middle that I was always falling off of if I tried to get close to my husband.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Default I have had one for a long time-

well several years. But I never got the numbers! They might have been another $100 dollars, I don't remember, but I love it.
    Another killer of threads

Love mine. I like the bed softer than my husband does, and I really like that there's very little movement when he gets in one of his twitchy moods. I'd get bounced around with a standard mattress, now all I feel is the covers getting yanked and flapped

It did take a bit of time to get used to, and to play with the firmness settings, but I think it's well worth the cost.

Love love love mine, best thing I ever did for my neck and back problems. We have had ours for 9 years. We had one small issue about a year ago and the customer service was great.

My ex came with one, I never liked it. I love very soft mattresses! When you put the Sleep Number on a low setting, it hammocks in between the foam channels and pushes your shoulders up. I'm 5'4" so it's not a tall person issue! What Curb Appeal said also happened to us with the cliff.

The motor never had any issues. If you are comfortable with the bed in the store and you have a firmness taste difference but neither of you are on the extra soft or extra firm side, then it might work for you.

I am with curb appeal....hated mine. It was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever had. I didn't realize how bad it really was until I went on a business trip and had three nights in a row of heavenly sleep. Went to the front desk and said tell me what kind of bed that is so I can buy one.

My chiro said they are terrible for bad backs because for one reason you may pick a number that feels comfortable but doesn't really give your back the needed support. He recommended the Simmons beauty rest black label, which is coincidentally what the hotel bed was.

Best money Mr. C'mare and I ever spent! King size pillow top.

He's 6' 5" and loves it super firm. I'm 5' 6" and like it soft.

I recently threw my back out royally (one too many horses trimmed in one day). Pumped it up to 55 for more firmness and slept soundly. Once chiro put me back, I was down to 40 again for soft.

13 years and not a hitch. Only thing we did to it last year is replace the eggcrate foam that covers the air mattresses with memory foam... just bought a memory foam topper from JC Penney and trimmed it to fit.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

We've had one for 7 years and love it. I have back problems and I just can't sleep on other mattresses. Ours has the pillow top as well.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

I have the series 1 single-chamber kind. As I tend to vary wildly in what kind of mattress I like (sometimes I want REALLY soft, sometimes I want a firmer mattress) it's perfect. Does not feel at all like an air mattress, which I've never slept on without excruciating pain.

I just stayed in a few hotels with them and hated, hated, hated them. Made my back a lot more sore.