The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How long should a winter T/O last?

Ok, I know there are many variables but basically my draft cross has already ruined his blanket with the assistance of his OTTB buddy who likes to bite him and his blanket. I am asking because. It came from Dover and they have a 100% return policy for any reason whatsoever. It was bought last February and worn for about 6-8 weeks and stored, worn this winter pretty much full time since about December. So, didn't even last a full year. What is a reasonable expectation on the life of a turnout? I just can't return something that has actually fulfilled it's obligation so to speak. It was a Riders International 600 denier lightweight. We will absolutely get at least 1200 denier next time.

BTW, I have never had trouble with Dover and returns. They are always awesome to deal with here. Thanks!

I just got the smartpak ultimate turnout, 10 year warranty against all issues. So...I'm expecting it to last those ten years!

My QH gelding on 24/7 turnout is on his 3rd winter with his 600D Saxon turnouts. He wears either the sheet or the mid-weight 24/7 this time of year due to the rain (I do take it off when we get sunny days). Of course, no one around here is a blanket puller/biter/ripper so YMMV.

Depends on the blanket and the horse.

I have Rambos that are over 10 years old at this point. Still going strong.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have rugs last long time.....or 1 day....depends on horse..

Horses that bite blankets in a dedicated way void all predictions of longevity. I have turnouts that are 12 years old--all worn by my mares. With the geldings, who are more likely to tear and bite each other's blankets, I have had some last a couple of weeks and others going on 4-5 years. It seems to be a bit of a crapshoot, with a slight advantage going to the truly rugged (1600 denier) fabrics but even those are no match for the odd serious bite fest.
    Click here before you buy.

I have a Baker knockoff that's five years old and still fine (1200 denier). Don't know how it has survived my bratty gelding, who is constantly tugging on my mare's tail flap to egg her on.

I used a Rambo today that is 14 years old.

I don't think Dover would have the warranty if the company didn't think it would last that long. FWIW, I called Dover because one of the front snaps broke on my Northwinds TO that was nearly two years old, and the CSR offered to send a new TO. I thought that was crazy. I found a replacement snap, put it on, the sheet is still going strong.

My TOs are used from late September to June, with a midweight during the coldest part of winter. The oldest one - nearly 4 years old - will fail after several days of steady rain, so I tend to use it when it's drier.

The lining has been repaired, but the outer material and straps last a long time. But then, my mare isn't turned out with the horsey rugby team, either.

I have no expectations for turnouts to survive biting from pasture mates, unless they are warrantied as such. For a 600 denier blanket, even less so. 1600 or 2100 should be able to hold up to some biting, but even they aren't infallible.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegirl View Post
    Ok, I know there are many variables but basically my draft cross has already ruined his blanket with the assistance of his OTTB buddy who likes to bite him and his blanket.

<snip>
    It was bought last February and worn for about 6-8 weeks and stored, worn this winter pretty much full time since about December

<snip>
    600 denier
    600 Denier in a shared pasture with one of the "biting" OTTB's
    - the blanket done good

While Dover (& other companies) may replace this blanket, it was really your own poor judgement that allowed/created this situation, so before allowing Dover to take the loss, I'd enquire as to what exactly happens in this situation, ie, is it shared between Dover & the manufacturer or is it all on Dover? if the latter, are you going to be a steady enough customer to make up the loss ...

In this sort of situation, you might consider whether it's best to spend the extra $ to get a high denier blanket with rip stop (these are 2 different qualities of the fabric & you want both in this situation) or spend the minimum & accept that you'll need to replace the blanket annually ... using products such as McNasty on the blanket should help.
    If you don't own both horses, you might ask the OTTB owner to chip in - afterall both horses benefit from the shared turnout (if I owned the OTTB I'd be glad to chip in).

Have you looked into having the blanket repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegirl View Post
    What is a reasonable expectation on the life of a turnout? I just can't return something that has actually fulfilled it's obligation so to speak. It was a Riders International 600 denier lightweight. We will absolutely get at least 1200 denier next time.
    For a 600D blanket being worn in a a field with a known biter, I think lasting several weeks last winter and a month this winter is exceptional! Dover's Northwind turnouts have a guarantee (1260D I believe) but the plain Riders do not. I would definitely suggest a Northwind, a Rambo, or another blanket with a warranty against rips and tears. I wouldn't be comfortable returning a blanket I knew would be ripped by another horse.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    600 Denier in a shared pasture with one of the "biting" OTTB's
    - the blanket done good

While Dover (& other companies) may replace this blanket, it was really your own poor judgement that allowed/created this situation, so before allowing Dover to take the loss, I'd enquire as to what exactly happens in this situation, ie, is it shared between Dover & the manufacturer or is it all on Dover? if the latter, are you going to be a steady enough customer to make up the loss ...

In this sort of situation, you might consider whether it's best to spend the extra $ to get a high denier blanket with rip stop (these are 2 different qualities of the fabric & you want both in this situation) or spend the minimum & accept that you'll need to replace the blanket annually ... using products such as McNasty on the blanket should help.
    If you don't own both horses, you might ask the OTTB owner to chip in - afterall both horses benefit from the shared turnout (if I owned the OTTB I'd be glad to chip in).

Have you looked into having the blanket repaired?
    I am a devoted Dover customer partly due to their awesome return policy, easy access to the Chantilly, VA store with great, helpful staff, and good product selection. I have bought mucho amount of horse stuff there!

No chance on the OTTB owner helping with cost. She is BO daughter and no spare money. I also realize its just part of horse keeping as well. I bought the 600 before these 2 horses were put together and didn't know the TB was a biter. Honestly happy my boy has his blanket to protect him some. In warmer weather he has lots of bites.....I wish he could be in other field..... We shall have to see. My boy did plant his dinner-plate size hoof in TB's chest the other day. I think he got tired of the bites. Maybe he will back down some.
    Thanks for the input....apologies for grammar/typing on my phone!

A 600D blanket with a known biter? I wouldn't expect that to last more than a few weeks. Sorry.

I would spring for a much more durable blanket and then I'd do what I could to protect it-- apply Rap-Last, muzzle the biter, throw a cheapo fly sheet on top to bear the brunt of the biting-- whatever.

I expect a turnout sheet to last 7-10 years with normal use. That does not include rips caused by aggressive horses/accidents and I expect to have to wash/rewaterproof it yearly for it to last that way. I have 10 year old Rambos that are going strong, no issues.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    A 600D blanket with a known biter? I wouldn't expect that to last more than a few weeks. Sorry.

I would spring for a much more durable blanket and then I'd do what I could to protect it-- apply Rap-Last, muzzle the biter, throw a cheapo fly sheet on top to bear the brunt of the biting-- whatever.

I expect a turnout sheet to last 7-10 years with normal use. That does not include rips caused by aggressive horses/accidents and I expect to have to wash/rewaterproof it yearly for it to last that way. I have 10 year old Rambos that are going strong, no issues.
    Totally agree with this. I have some Weatherbeeta's going on winter #12 with no problems but my horses have always been easy on their blankets (no rough housing or biters of blankets). Get a cheap sheet to put on top like VXF111 suggested.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

New horse, new blanket, new friends... 1200D Amigo XL rain sheet... one week. Is now covered with tape. Our horse wears a muzzle during the day, removed at night since there are only 2 other horses staying out and they don't seem to care. Although, this morning... the tail flap was torn at the seams.. Our guy has ripped the front buckle off his "cousin's" blanket and almost destroyed another brand new one. My DD had a spare Weatherbeeta and replaced the ripped blanket while she has it repaired...

My mare never ripped a single blanket on her pasture mates... girls behave so much better!!

I have never tried one of these, but the idea seems like a good one if you have to pasture with a biter....
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...5-650b71dcaa0e
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Mine last at least 5 years, and I don't buy expensive ones! I used to have some cheap canvas turnout rugs (kinda like a Carhart jacket with the felt lining) that I paid about $30 for. I don't launder any of my rugs- they just get brushed off and hosed if needed before storing them for the summer. I've yet to have any turnout become un-waterproofed. The only horses I put turnouts on are older mares who have no interest in playing blanket games.

I have Rambo turnouts that are over ten years old, one is 16 years old, worn every winter. I've had to repair the binding due to a biting friend, but never had the blanket trashed or torn.

I have 4 Rambos all at least 10 years old. Admittedly, tonight, he is tucked in in his brand new Rambo Duo. Over time, the insulation, even in Rambos, tends to compress, so I got a new one to keep him toasty in tonights 5 degree temps.

The shells and linings are all in fine fettle despite the fact that my horse was a very rough player in his youth (and so were his friends).