The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are Quarter Sheets for the horse or the rider?

Or BOTH? It's really cold here in GA (well for us) and my pony just got clipped. Yesterday I thought maybe he really needs a quarter sheet for when these cold snaps arrive (this is the first winter I've really ridden in years so don't have the "stuff" others have for our really cold days and weeks!). I did a COTH search and turned up these posts, but noticed most were directed toward the rider's comfort rather than the horse...

Anyway, with temps in the high 30s, low 40s with wind chills bringing those temps down even more, will a horse need a quarter sheet? I'm fine in my trusty fleece breeches and down jacket.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...quarter+sheets
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Depends on the horse. Vernon HATED quarter sheets, so I typically only used it to get to the ring and walk around a bit. Toby, on the other hand, has been known to be dressed in TWO (will probably use two today, actually), because he hates being cold and gets terribly tight and cranky and generally ill tempered if he thinks his back is cold. Some horses, like riders, seem impervious to the cold and could care less.

I WAS going to hack down the road today (but the wind is turning the damp spots into black ice). Had I done that, I would have put one of Toby's quarter sheets over my legs (both of them are "riding blankets") to cut the wind. My holiday fluff makes my full chaps too tight (working on that!), otherwise I might now do that.

Quarter sheets are for horses who are clipped or have short coats doing slow work (walking/jogging) in cold/wet weather. Several styles can velcro around the rider's legs, but that's more for ease of taking them off rather than real rider comfort. When I've used it around my legs, I hate the "drag" that the sheet pulls against my thighs. I much prefer to use the sheet under the saddle flaps. Quarter sheets tend to shift a lot (backwards, mostly!) so it's only worth using if you really need it. A horse doing any significant amount of trotting and cantering can keep himself warm, even if clipped, below freezing. It depends on the horse, but weather below 40* is cold enough for me to use a quarter sheet on a clipped horse going for a hack.

Alternatively, you can do a quarter-sheet style body clip on your horse and leave his own hair to keep his butt warm.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

1 members found this post helpful.

If I'm doing light work (walking and trotting, hacking out ect) I like to put my guy's quarter sheet on to keep him warm (he is so much better with it). I have one that can go over the legs but I only ever use it that way if I am warming up to do more. I find that it can get in the way of posting and it flaps around a whole lot more like that so usually I just put it underneath (I have monoflap saddles, otherwise I just put it under the first flap so I can take it off if need be)

Quote Originally Posted by EventerAJ View Post
    Quarter sheets are for horses who are clipped or have short coats doing slow work (walking/jogging) in cold/wet weather. Several styles can velcro around the rider's legs, but that's more for ease of taking them off rather than real rider comfort. When I've used it around my legs, I hate the "drag" that the sheet pulls against my thighs. I much prefer to use the sheet under the saddle flaps. Quarter sheets tend to shift a lot (backwards, mostly!) so it's only worth using if you really need it. A horse doing any significant amount of trotting and cantering can keep himself warm, even if clipped, below freezing. It depends on the horse, but weather below 40* is cold enough for me to use a quarter sheet on a clipped horse going for a hack.

Alternatively, you can do a quarter-sheet style body clip on your horse and leave his own hair to keep his butt warm.
    Yes. Agree. Even with Toby, I will only leave them on for the first 15-20 minutes of a ride (how long it generally takes him to decide he's not going to shatter in to a million little pieces because he's freezing), and take them off for the meat of the ride...usually. I don't jump in them, and I only use it around my legs while doing a walk hack or if we're standing around a lot.

Default Rasta could probably use one....

Rasta was VERY bouncy, very "I've got my back up, Mom - wanna go for a ride in the air?" when we started out yesterday, (got quite civilized within 5 minutes of putting him to work - ha!) and I think it was because of the cold air. However, he is also a horse that sweats very easily so I'd have to watch out for that with a quarter sheet. I do have a fleece one but it is cheap and slips out the back ... will check ebay for possibilities. THX everyone!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I like my Rambo "competition" sheet (waterproof on the outside, lightly lined with fleece on the inside). It doesn't stretch and pull back as much as a lot of the fleece ones. I also have a BEAUTIFUL, thick, quilted one that is THE BEST. It doesn't flap around, is toasty warm, doesn't stretch or shift, and, unlike a lot of fleece, has a minimal amount of static.

Also hard to beat wool, but they are hard to find as riding blankets.

RunForIt -- dollar store, girl! Fleece throw blankets. Fold in half or on diagonal, put between saddle and pad. Work fine.

Rugby is clipped and he hates an exercise rug but I make him wear it! (He doesn't like it).
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Both! Baxter wears his (under the saddle flaps, clips to dees) most of the winter. He tends to be a sore-backed kind of fellow, and it certainly doesn't hurt to keep those muscles warm. For hacking out in the winter, I just wrap it over my legs for an extra layer of warmth/ wind protection.

I have a this Weatherbeeta one that I use for light flatting days when it's below 40 or so. My horse loves it and it doesn't shift, even during a spook and scoot moment or if I pop over a couple of jumps. I don't like to ride with it over my legs, so I put it under the saddle flap. It's easy to remove mid-ride.

Plus, gold whitney stripes on a dark seal bay? Gorgeous!

I've got the Rambo Newmarket quarter sheet in the grey stripe (because I got an awesome deal on it!!). It's a nice weight but like others I mostly use it for hacking and walk warm up. I might do a little trot work as well, but then it gets taken off. I use a monoflap so for the most part I wear it over my legs.

On a cold day, there is nothing better than riding bareback with a quarter sheet wrapped around you.

My quarter sheets are all pony-sized, ordered from the UK. Even my 16hh horses are too short for the WB-y ones sold in the US.

I use it whenever I can (on the CA central coast ) because (a) it's drop-dead cute, (b) it's monogrammed and...(c) I bought it at Badminton.

3 members found this post helpful.

I use it for both of us on marginal days (when it's nearly too cold to ride). I like the ones that wrap around the rider and that you can remove while you're in the saddle. I warm up with it and then take it off.

I also like to put it on while she's tacked up and in the cross ties to warm up her back up a bit before I get on. I'll also use a folded cooler for this.

Wool old Army Navy blankets..wicks moisture can be cut to size and be found in thrift stores or someone's attic in mothballs...love real wool under saddle folded over saddle flap tucked under billets..like real New Markets which can still be found on Internet.

Love my thermatex quarter sheets. Some of the Tb's that are clipped can be sensitive to this cold weather so I do use them to warm up.

I will use one when the wind is really biting. It seems to keep the horses more relaxed. (And it's nice over my legs if I get chilly!)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I use on to warm up with in the winter as my guy is clipped. Daughter uses one on her pony as well, to warm up inside and always outside. She is little though (7) and pony is clipped and shivery.....so I think it is for both of them

I've got a wool one that I've had for 20 years. I loved it on my old TB mare when she was clipped. She was as big of a weather wimp as me and loved it for the whole ride. I haven't used it on anyone since but maybe I'll break it out for the new guy.

I love Judybigredpony's suggestion of wool blankets from the Army/Navy. Wool has such a nice weight and holds shape and position better than fleece, so worth hunting it down in my opinion.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    I've got a wool one that I've had for 20 years. I loved it on my old TB mare when she was clipped. She was as big of a weather wimp as me and loved it for the whole ride. I haven't used it on anyone since but maybe I'll break it out for the new guy.

I love Judybigredpony's suggestion of wool blankets from the Army/Navy. Wool has such a nice weight and holds shape and position better than fleece, so worth hunting it down in my opinion.
    I have one left from the rainy finish of some Atlanta half-Marathon ...thinking of trying it the next really cold day - didn't need anything but FUN riding today!