The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pictures for the Bird Lovers

There's nothing like some snowy days to bring the birds to the feeders. I've been going a bit crazy, the past couple of days, taking pictures of my visitors. There's quite a few pictures here, but I thought that those of you who love birds like I do might enjoy seeing some that I took.

Red Bellied Woodpecker
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL72.../405152856.jpg

Male Cardinal
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL72.../405152854.jpg

Female Cardinal
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL721/13437073/23982422
    /405152852.jpg

Titmouse
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL72.../405152812.jpg

American Goldfinch
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL72.../405152811.jpg

Chickadee
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL72.../405152809.jpg

Mourning Doves
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL72.../405152806.jpg

And, my very favorite -- Turkey in a Tree
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL72.../405152814.jpg
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

10 members found this post helpful.

Lovely! When I posted on the other thread. I hadn't seen a finch all winter. THEY'RE HERE....Common red polls and golds. So far. I wish I would get cardinals. I haven't seen a male cardinal at my feeder since I moved here 25 years ago. I do hear them periodically. Could my feeder be to close to the house? Probably 6 feet away from the window.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks! I miss the cardinals I grew up seeing in MD.

2 members found this post helpful.

Excellent pics!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Beautiful! Thank you, Louise! I got to cross the Cardinal off my life-list two years ago when I visited the East Coast--such gorgeous birds. My feeders are awash in sparrows and chickadees right now.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I wish we could put up feeders, but w lots o' cats I won't. My parents always had feeders and I miss the entertainment. The tornado took most of trees anyway.:-(Thanks for the great pics! We do have herons, geese, ducks and a couple bald eagles on the river.

Louise, they are lovely. Not sure which I like the bestest....maybe all.

Thanks for sharing.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Some of them are definitely clendar-worthy, or Christmas card worthy, or every-day card worthy. I always make some homemade cards at Christmas(from the photo store) and people always compliment me and I see them on mantlepieces, or fridges all year long. Much more appreciated than shop bought cards. They are sent to my horsey friends because they invariable have a horse in a snowy field or some such.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Thank you! I love seeing birds from the East coast. I remember when there was a wayward cardinal on the beach in Pt Reyes, and all the crowds of bird watchers who came to see him! I see mostly Brewer's blackbirds, turkeys and sparrows around here. Did get a surprise look at an Anna's hummingbird as I walked to the store. He was a bit of a surprise because I was walking no more than a foot away from where he was feeding, but they do winter over in Sacramento. There's one that visits the flowers in my yard, too.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

msj, you need to hang a couple of feeders. You're in a perfect location to get lots of birds. Maybe even some bluebirds if you put up boxes. I know, I know, like you didn't already have enough critters to take care of! I never see hummingbirds, so I'm envious of yours, Emryss. Every time I try to hang a hummingbird feeder, it gets overrun with ants.

Why is the woodpecker named 'redbellied'? Lovely pix! I, too, wish I could put out bird feeders, but I have a feral cat food station and I don't think it would be fair to the birds. I miss all the activity when I had feeders by my windows.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

1 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Why is the woodpecker named 'redbellied'? Lovely pix! I, too, wish I could put out bird feeders, but I have a feral cat food station and I don't think it would be fair to the birds. I miss all the activity when I had feeders by my windows.

Because redheaded was already taken? Some of them do have a wash of red on their bellies, but it's not very noticeable. Personally, I'd call them red capped woodpeckers if I wanted to differentiate.

You can see the woodpecker has been gettin' busy on that fencepost. Hope he found some tasty, warm grubs! Wonderful pictures, Louise. Thanks for sharing.

[Love the Turkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    msj, you need to hang a couple of feeders. You're in a perfect location to get lots of birds. Maybe even some bluebirds if you put up boxes. I know, I know, like you didn't already have enough critters to take care of! I never see hummingbirds, so I'm envious of yours, Emryss. Every time I try to hang a hummingbird feeder, it gets overrun with ants.
    Absolutely and positively NO! I have some lovely cardinals, about 5 males that I've seen at one time and I know of at least one blue jay. While I also love my red-winged black birds and purple finches, I also have quite a flock of crows and way too many stinking barn sparrows. The only birds welcome in the barn are the barn swallows and, quite often, the stinking barn sparrows take over swallows nest after the swallows have finished building it.

I'll enjoy your photos but I do not feed birds, just horses, dogs and cats on the farm.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Lovely pics...thanks Louise. I should try to get one when one of our resident wild turkeys is perched ontop of our feeder, with it's neck crained down to eat!

Love those photos. We have a ton of cardinals and jays, and of course woodpeckers, doves and chickadees. Will try and get a few photos. Have some old ones somewhere from winters past.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by paulosey View Post
    Lovely pics...thanks Louise. I should try to get one when one of our resident wild turkeys is perched ontop of our feeder, with it's neck crained down to eat!
    Now that is something I would never think to see. Please do try and get a picture.

Lovely photos! Love the turkey, Louise. Almost seems as if it's trying to be as graceful as the smaller ones, and maybe you won't notice it's a turkey.

Just got my feeders going, but the chickadees and goldfinches were immediately in residence. Will get some of the other species you've posted, but my turkeys mostly stay on the ground.

My most unusual visitor has been an indigo bunting in the spring. When I used to live in Saratoga County, we were inundated with Evening Grosbeaks. Literally had to fill 3 big feeders a day. Had flocks that visited with easily over 100 at a time. They were beautiful - miss them.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

I love birds and have a varied assortment of feeders and food. I do miss the turkeys though. This farm does not have any, the old place had lots. So thanks especially for posting that picture.