The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eyes constantly hurt and bloodshot...advice?

So as I've gotten older (I'm in my 6th year of being 30) I have developed minor dust allergies and probably pollen allergies. In the summer if I'm teaching in the outdoor arena and it is dry and dusty outside, my eyes will start burning and hurting something fierce. If I flush them out with cool water, I'm usually OK for a while. However, it is now December and my eyes, especially my left one, many times feel like someone is stabbing them with something. And again, mostly my left one is bloodshot - now almost constantly. I guess I could attribute it to some dust in the indoor when I teach, but I try to keep it nicely watered so that it's not bad. I just kind of don't think that dust is causing this, especially since this has never happened before. My eyes are just plain uncomfortable! I do wear glasses when I watch TV and drive - I refuse to wear contacts because the idea of putting something in my eye acks me out. I can't even watch my DH put his in without...acking.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

Have you had an eye exam lately? If not, it's probably time for one. I've had periodic eyeball pain too. I think mine is from too much screen time and dust sensitivities. I have noticed that on the weekends (generally) when I'm not in front of the computer like I am all day at work, my eyes don't hurt nearly as much.

2 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like Chronic Dry Eye. I had that and went to my eye doctor,
    I use Lubricating drops, not visine, which is actually more drying.
    I> too had one that was more blood shot than the other.
    There is also a script that helps with Dry eye.
    Best to see an Eye Doctor.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ask a doctor, not a horse-based message board?

3 members found this post helpful.

I had that happen. From the time I acquired my first set of eyeglasses (7th grade) until after college my prescription didn't change. After college, my eyes suddenly burned and were red in the afternoon. It was as if I had sandpaper in my eyelids. It turned out my prescription had virtually doubled, and I had eyestrain. I guess the prescription changes so gradually that you don't notice, and then when you get the right prescription it's amazing how well you can see.

Or dry eye, or an infection or anything else. See an eye doc ASAP, and find out what's wrong.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

See an eye doc. My sister had that problem and it was a fungal infection.

Could be a lot of things. Mine was Lyme uveitis.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thank you for the suggestions! I had my eyes checked last year and my prescription was adjusted, though not much. The chronic dry eye makes sense - especially in a dry-as-a-bone Michigan house! I probably can't get to the eye doctor until next week but it is nice to hear suggestions and thoughts!

Me, me, me! Mine are the same way. Two years ago my eye doctor recommended that I start taking Omega 3. I tried some drug store brand and couldn't stand the fishy belches. When she asked this year and I explained why I wasn't taking O-3, she said, "On no! Your taking that putrid kind!" She then laughed and said she didn't really mean putrid but it seemed pretty putrid to me.

She recommended this kind: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2772210 They are a bit more $$$ but there is NO fishy taste. It's also good for your heart, dry skin and your (my) high triglycerides. I've been taking them for about two months. Didn't take them most of this week because I'm off work and kind of got slack about taking my daily meds (HRT, antibiotic, O-3) and by yesterday, my eyes felt like the inside of my lids had sand paper on them.

Also, if you use eye drops, don't use Visine (sp). Use a better one like Blink Tears. She even suggested another one but I can't stand the taste. (Apparently, your tear ducts drain to your throat or something. Icky taste.) I have some of that at work so I can let you know it's name on Monday. Sustain or Systane, maybe?

But do go to the eye doc to be sure it's not something more serious.

get a thyroid panel done

Hmmmm. Not to hijack the thread, but this is the second thread someone has mentioned thyroid about something that could apply to me. I have been to the doctor. They took about a billion vials of blood a couple of years ago to figure out what was going on with me but it was inconclusive.

Thanks guys! I was looking at the eye drops at the store yesterday but was in a hurry and wanted to be able to take my time looking at them. I will def. see the eye doctor too to make sure it's nothing more serious.

Hey, I just submitted a grant proposal to study patients with chronic dry eye disease (DED) - that makes me (NOT) an expert!

But based on what I learned from my collaborator the opthalmologist, your symptoms do sound like chronic DED. The underlying cause could be one of many things, which is why you need to get this checked out with your eye doctor.

He or she will probably run a blood panel to check for hormone imbalances, and also to see if you have any markers of autoimmune disease. Sjogren's syndome in particular can cause DED. Or you might have a problem with secretion from your meibomium glands. Those are the glands on your lids that make lipids that prevent your tears from evaporating too fast.

In general, the first line of treatment is artificial tears. If you continue to have nasty painful flare ups there are some other treatments out there, but most of them are "off label" in that there's no FDA approved drug for DED.

Since you are close to Ann Arbor, you at least have the option of going to Michigan if you need to pursue more aggressive treatment. Good luck!

My eye Dr Dx me with Chronic dry eyes, and put me on Restasis drops, which have helped, but she didn't order any blood tests or anything. Taking Fish Oil ado seems to help.

I think my dry eyes have to do with my hysterectomy. My eyes and my skin in general just seems dry. Has for years. From the reviews of the link I posted, there are other people that have had similar problems re. the hyst.

I also think the fact that I'm getting older and my eyes are getting worse doesn't help. I think eye strain might exacerbate the fact that my eyes sometimes feel bad/tired.

Yep, hormone levels do cause dry eye. And "computer vision syndrome" is becoming widely recognized as a signficant contributor to DED. Or people with DED are more likely to have flare ups when doing computer work. Chicken or the egg, I guess, but one does affect the other for sure.

I have 20/20 vision, but get tired eyes when doing a lot of computer work. My eye doc recommended that I use reading glasses when I work on the computer - they do help.

LOL! I'm a computer tech. I'm supposed to be getting "computer" glasses but they haven't come in yet. I need to call and check on them after the holiday. Thanks for the reminder.

Oh I have dry eye. It's a pain. They test for it at the eye dr. I fortunately have an aunt who works for an eye dr and gets me drops. The Gel Tears work the best for me. I haven't tried the fish oil yet. My eye dr talked about putting a plug in my tear duct.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

So - is anyone else on Restasis?