The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do you think about cloning?

I noticed an advertisement for a cloning "farm" on here, Replica Farm. It reminded me of this movie "The 6th Day" and in it there is a store called Repet were they clone your pets.

I don't know if I would clone for breeding purposes, of course the horse that I would clone died many years ago. But even then, would it still be the same horse?

To me it's amazing the technological advancements we have made and now offering cloning to the public seems so sci-fi almost LOL!

What are your thoughts on cloning?
    I LOVE my Chickens!

That there will be some unintended mutations that won't be seen for a few generations. It's against the law to marry your sibling (at least it used to be). There is a reason for that.
    And closely blood related intermarriage communities, when they have a genetic disease, it is expressed more often. There is an Amish community that a nearby hospital uses to study a rare disease because there are so many cases of it, and all close to the university.
    Actually, very close inline horse breeding is a model of this. You can get good results or Hypp.

1 members found this post helpful.

stupid idea, but some people have way too much money than brains

I have identical twin grand daughters and they look alike but are different... so you clone your old pet thinking you are going to get old rover back.... that just is not going to happen

2 members found this post helpful.

Default I prefer reincarnation

If you have the patience, the pet - human too! - comes back around in a different body. First they have to do the whole life review, rest thing, and decide if they want to come in for another adventure with you, but I swear with cats and horses, they keep coming back. Makes at least as much sense as cloning

4 members found this post helpful.

Cloning is just a tool. How people use it is up to them. I think the applications in medicine would be awesome. Imagine being able to clone new Langerhans cells -no more diabetes, or kidney cells, or heart cells, or nerve cells?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    That there will be some unintended mutations that won't be seen for a few generations. It's against the law to marry your sibling (at least it used to be). There is a reason for that.
    And closely blood related intermarriage communities, when they have a genetic disease, it is expressed more often. There is an Amish community that a nearby hospital uses to study a rare disease because there are so many cases of it, and all close to the university.
    Actually, very close inline horse breeding is a model of this. You can get good results or Hypp.
    Cloning is not about inbreeding, at all.

Cloning is about producing the same gene combination as much as possible, as close as they can to the original individual those genes are wanted from.

One of our vets spent the past 25 years cloning horses.
    Some of his techniques are standard today, that he first invented and refined.
    I have seen several of the clones he produced and they were fine horses, if not an exact copy of the individual cloned, as not all genes are expressed in all individuals the same, even in cloning.

Some day soon, there are already techniques for that, we will be able to clone someone's failing organ and replace it.

You never know what all comes out of any research, that is the beauty of it.
    The more answers we get, the more questions that poses.
    That is how knowledge advances.

6 members found this post helpful.

As a scientist, clones are not healthy (to say the least) in most cases.... and I would never do this.

Lets leave coning in the lab for research, not for cloning our favorite pets. Its not the same anyways-- the environment plays a factor...

Bluey---you can't clone organs, that is what stem cells are for....I support stem cell research for tissue regeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    As a scientist, clones are not healthy (to say the least) in most cases.... and I would never do this.

Lets leave coning in the lab for research, not for cloning our favorite pets. Its not the same anyways-- the environment plays a factor...

Bluey---you can't clone organs, that is what stem cells are for....I support stem cell research for tissue regeneration.
    Ok, I was careless with my thoughts there.

Where do you get that "clones are not healthy"?
    There are enough out there now to say that they are as healthy as any other out there.
    No organism is completely "healthy", but most clones are no less than others.
    I have known several cloned horses for years now and they are fine, not any different than any other out there.

I used to facilitate a discussion group at the NC School of Science and Mathematics "Ethics and Leadership" statewide conference for high school seniors on cloning and the ethics of human cloning. It was fun and nobody in the class ever knew what my own views were.

I've had my senior cat gene-banked and when I can find someone to clone him, I'll get that done. A firm that did that for a while went out of business a few years ago.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    I used to facilitate a discussion group at the NC School of Science and Mathematics "Ethics and Leadership" statewide conference for high school seniors on cloning and the ethics of human cloning. It was fun and nobody in the class ever knew what my own views were.

I've had my senior cat gene-banked and when I can find someone to clone him, I'll get that done. A firm that did that for a while went out of business a few years ago.
    Who knows, our vet may do it for you, although he won't guarantee the results, any more than with a natural conception and pregnancy, that you can never know what will happen with it.

Ask your vets for references, they may know who is good in your area.

I think cloning only gets you a close genetic copy, not 'your dog' or whatever, again.

Spirit does not come prepackaged in DNA, so you could never have your pet all over again. You might get the version where the aggressive or sickly DNA comes to forefront in the stack. As has been proven, you don't always get the same color.

Nature will be nature, as much as we try to exact copy it; that won't happen.

It's a crapshoot no matter what way you go. I prefer to experience the uncertainty of nature, rather than try to control it.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

If I had unlimited resources, I would try cloning my cat. Just to see if he was the same again, or if it's senseless. But I've heard that clones age faster because the DNA is aged DNA--not sure if that's true or not...
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    If I had unlimited resources, I would try cloning my cat. Just to see if he was the same again, or if it's senseless. But I've heard that clones age faster because the DNA is aged DNA--not sure if that's true or not...
    Ok, that was years ago, but I think they solved some of the shorter telomeres problem by using skin cells, that somehow are not so short?
    I have not kept up lately with all that.

I think scientists must be very, very careful about cloning. They're cloning the physical, but what about the spirit and the soul? There are too many unknowns here and things of which we truly have no understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Ok, I was careless with my thoughts there.

Where do you get that "clones are not healthy"?
    There are enough out there now to say that they are as healthy as any other out there.
    No organism is completely "healthy", but most clones are no less than others.
    I have known several cloned horses for years now and they are fine, not any different than any other out there.
    At least in the begnining it took hundereds of sheep to get one Dolly. I think there is a lot we don't know about this technology and long term implications.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm055512.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    At least in the begnining it took hundereds of sheep to get one Dolly. I think there is a lot we don't know about this technology and long term implications.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm055512.htm
    I am aware of that, but you can't say because at first methods used were not quite right, there is a learning curve to all, that means there are not plenty of later successes.

Do you really think natural offspring is problem free to any greater degree than what cloning may produce?

You don't need to clone the organ, just the cells. The pancreas isn't what regulates blood sugar, it's the Langerhans cells so if those aren't functioning clone those. I wonder if, as with stem cells, just putting the cells in the right organ causes them to function as such.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Do you really think natural offspring is problem free to any greater degree than what cloning may produce?
    YES! Absolutely.

I guess its the fact that as a scientist I see that its NOT the same as in nature and every time we change something the change is usually harmful.
    I think the same for IVF as well-- any time we take something outside its natural environment and alter genetics---well that can't be a good thing.

What is interesting to me that a single gene we have knocked out cause the animals to be very sickly and many times the effects are far reaching-- beyond what we anticipated. I just think cloning invites that much more room for issues.

The actual SCIENCE is not that strange or complicated, that is not my point. It just doesn't seem like a good idea after all I have studied. I should be its biggest fan having all my experience-- but it made me very wry.

Agree with Paula-- putting new heart stem cells in a damaged heart causes repair of the tissue. THAT to me is very cool and its working with a framework of what is already exsisting. The stem cells in the studies I have looked at never are 100% reliable or the same as what came before, but its a very promising start. I just wish they worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    I can save you the "unlimited resources" - it wouldn't be the same cat.

Clones are not another of the exact same animal. They are, essentially, identical twins. Genetically identical, but that doesn't mean that they'll look the same or behave in the same way.

Cloning is not a way to bring back the dead.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Cloning is not a way to bring back the dead.
    yes, its amazing that people still think its going to be the same animal... Uh No.