The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Not very scientific since I don't know how well it works- so I get it every 2 or 3 years. I explained this to my pediatrician and she told me sounded like as good a plan as any. (We live in an area with a very high population of non-vaxers -so I'm sure she hears plenty of crazier ideas.)

I've always gotten one for as long as I can remember. I was required while I was in nursing school and now that I've graduated I'll be required as well. I can't remember the last time I've gotten the flu. It's been a long time.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I work in labor and delivery so it's a requirement for me (well, I can choose not to, but then I have to wear a mask everywhere on the unit). It's free, doesn't hurt, and I don't get the flu/have a reaction. Then again, even before I started working in the hospital and getting the shot, I never got the flu.....I like to think I have a pretty rockin' immune system.....
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

No way! I'm in the same boat as MunchingonHay. I'd rather let nature do its job and expose myself to as much as I can. What doesn't kill me will make me stronger.

Then again, I haven't gotten so much as a cold in 2-3 years. Now that I've said that, it'll come and get me this year.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've had a flu shot every year for at least 12 years. I work in health care (but not on the clinical side), so I get a free shot, though they are not required for me. The ONLY time I've had the flu during this period was the H1N1, the first year it was becoming epidemic, when there was not yet a vaccine for it. DS22 and DS10 got it that year too (DH was in CA when it came to our house, so he lucked out, I called him and told him not to come home yet!). DS22 was by far the sickest, then DS10, then me, but even my moderate case sucked, and just reminded me why I get the vaccines, flu is no fun and can make you pretty darned sick!!

I get a flu shot most years. We didn't last year, and my 12-year-old son had the flu in April. We were fortunate to catch it quickly and get Tamiflu started right away, but it was still pretty awful. I had it in 2008, and I was totally out of commission for at least a week. Any of you who say it's not so bad for you, that wasn't the flu. Stomach bug is not the flu. Something that makes you feel bad, but you can power through, that's not the flu.

According to my husband, who works as a research scientist for a big pharmaceutical company, any flu shot you can get is, at best, based on last year's flu strain. Any variation in the strain and it can be useless. He's very much against the shot. I agree with those who've said it's overhyped. Ever notice the late season sales pitch the manufacturers have for it in February? They want to sell out of it every year and they'll offer it to anyone and everyone who'll hold out an arm.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

I'm immune compromised since I had a kidney transplant so I get it every year. Never gotten the flu nor gotten sick from the vaccine. Even if I wasn't immune compromised I would still get it. Its cheap, it really doesn't hurt at all and it is available everywhere so why not? It doesn't hurt anything to get it and unless you don't have health insurance or live far away from any towns I can't see why you wouldn't.

I chickened out of getting mine this year for three reasons.

One: I got the swine flu shot when that was all hot, and ended up with flu like symptoms.

Two: My boss, who is like super healthy and never takes off work, HAD to get the flu shot this year due to pregnancy, she got very ill afterward and actually called in to work!

Three: Lots of people said how sick they got AFTER the flu shot.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I do not believe that a shot with a kiled virus can give you the flu. It's more likely that those who get sick after the shot were coincidentally exposed to the flu shortly before they received their vaccine. It does take two weeks to be in full effect.

This year's shot was unusually painful, more like a tetanus shot in the amount of muscle pain afterward, than the usual flu vaccine.

Nope. Haven't gotten one in years and haven't gotten the flu either. I think the vaccine is over-hyped.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    NO WAY JOSE!

I am putting my tinfoil hat for this post!!

I will not inject last year's flu strain into my body. They cannot predict what strain of flu will go around so they make a milkshake with last year's flu and the previous year's flu.

I truly believe that flu shots, hand sanitizers, lysol, bleach, all aid the flu germs to grow stronger and stronger. I have never been super sick, got the flu, at the most I will get run down get a runny nose with a cough that never lasts more than a few days.

I ate dirt as a kid, played in the barn, did not live in a sterile environment, though my teens and into adulthood; I worked in barns, ate sandwiches with 'dirty' hands, I rub my eyes and have a horrible habit of biting my nails so my hands are always in my mouth.

Call me lucky? Call my crazy? But do call me healthy.
    Totally AGREE!!!! You and I are cut from the same mold.
    I HAve talked to Doctors and read articles about the over use of Antibacterial soaps and people being overly germaphobic with children, They never get to build up a strong immune system.
    I too am from the dirty hands generation, Lived in the barn, Ate with dirty hands.. Still do sometimes. I have been fortunate. I have gotten the flu once or twice I think.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Every time I read a thread like this I am dismayed and really kind of shocked at how ignorant people have become about basic subjects like biology, disease, infections, epidemiology etc...I don't know if it is the fault of our schools or just the over all dumbing down of our population...but I just shake my head...

13 members found this post helpful.

I have been getting flu shots for years now and (knock on wood) have not had any flu like symptoms in all those years. My niece died from the H1N1 at the age of 32 , don't know if she had had a vaccine ,but I doubt it .

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No way.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...on-draws-near/

'Last month,, in a step tantamount to heresy in the public health world, scientists at the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota released a report saying that influenza vaccinations provide only modest protection for healthy young and middle-age adults, and little if any protection for those 65 and older, who are most likely to succumb to the illness or its complications. Moreover, the report’s authors concluded, federal vaccination recommendations, which have expanded in recent years, are based on inadequate evidence and poorly executed studies.

“We have overpromoted and overhyped this vaccine,” said Michael T. Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, as well as its Center of Excellence for Influenza Research and Surveillance. “It does not protect as promoted. It’s all a sales job: it’s all public relations.”'
    I actually partially agree with this. My husband is a pharmacist, and his company really pushes Flu shots. OTOH, I do think there are some good reasons to consider getting one. Five years ago when Mr. LB was attending college we both got the flu, and he ended up in the hospital. We are both healthy young adults, that previously to this illness had never gotten flu shots. Now we both get them every year because of the group of people we interact with (him pharmacy patients, and me germy college students). I've had my shot every year since them (still working in the same place) and I haven't had it again.

When I stop working in my current job, I will probably stop getting one because I won't be receiving as much exposure to stick people. On a similar thought, I don't vaccinate my horse very often because she is at a private facility where no horses come and go. Should I move her a to facility where there are multiple horses coming and going I'll look into changing her vaccination schedule.
    Last edited by LovelyBay; Dec. 28, 2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I've never gotten one; which was once considered heresy in my office. The others all dutifully lined up for theirs--and they got the flu before I did! Never even considered it since, esp. since a neighbor wound up paralyzed with Guillame-Barre Syndrome from his. There are problems, and PROBLEMS . . .

The only horses I require the Rhino-Flu shot for here are the very young or pregnant broodmares.

If you want to boost your immune system, CUT OUT SUGAR.

Flu Mist nasal spray vaccine is a good alternative for many people who don't want a shot. It also may be substantially more effective than the flu shot.

I'm an 8th grade teacher and am surrounded by sick kids from October until March. I do not get a flu shot. Instead, I get at least 8 hours of sleep per night, limit the processed foods I eat, eat a variety of fresh fruits & veggies, and exercise. It has worked well for 11 years.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Furiously knocking on wood here ;-) but i haven't gotten one this year. Have had the vaccine a few times before, while in college and while working at a pharmacy near a hospital and at a library full of kids.
    MrB is immuno-compromised and just gave me a hard time the other day about not getting it yet. I just never think of it til im at sams club or some other distinctly nonmedical business and see signs for administering the flu shot... then I shudder at the thought of just any old employee giving me an injection. While I worked at the pharmacy I knew how much some of the techs dreaded giving injections and it kind of made me nervous about the whole thing! Of course I could get it at a more.... legit place like the health department, but i haven't done it. Procrastination.

Yep, knocking on wood!

I asked DH something before he went to work about him getting the flu shot, (he is required to due to military). And he just rolled his eyes and did a wonderful Lurch impression.. He gets "sick" for about a week after getting one and this year he asked other people in his unit how they felt after getting it.. He said about 1/4 give or take( he is in a small unit and trust me we really don't want them t be very big... well perhaps we do.. but then again..) got sick and always do.
    Personally I think it is a big scam pitty they cant use the revenue collected to pay down the debt.
    Friend of bar .ka