The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seller who refuses to send papers. Help! Suggestions?

I purchased a Han mare and she is paid in full and the seller refuses to send me her reg papers and passport. It been 3 months now. What can I do???

Quote Originally Posted by Bellefarms View Post
    I purchased a Han mare and she is paid in full and the seller refuses to send me her reg papers and passport. It been 3 months now. What can I do???
    Do you have a signed sales contract or bill of sale? Does it specify you are buying a registered Hanoverian mare? Does it ID the mare by name, bloodlines, color & markings, and registration number? Does it specify the seller will turn over the registration papers once payment is received?

I would contact the AHS office and see what they recommend, but they may not want to get involved in a private dispute between buyer and seller. You may end up having to get an attorney involved, but if you do not have a strong sales contract or bill of sale, it may be tough to get a satisfactory conclusion.

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Have her DNA compared to that on file with the breed association. Then go from there.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Do you have a signed sales contract or bill of sale? Does it specify you are buying a registered Hanoverian mare? Does it ID the mare by name, bloodlines, color & markings, and registration number? Does it specify the seller will turn over the registration papers once payment is received?

You may end up having to get an attorney involved, but if you do not have a strong sales contract or bill of sale, it may be tough to get a satisfactory conclusion.
    Exactly what DownYonder said. How you begin depends on what your Sales Contract says. Is the owner out and out refusing to give you her registration papers...or have they just not gotten around to mailing them yet? Have you tried to contact the seller or spoken to them about it?
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Have you seen a copy of her registration papers before buying? I have seen my share of "Hanoverian" mares or stallions that were either not registered anywhere at all, or registered with another registry, for sale or offered at stud (one grey stallion in Quebec comes to my mind... 2nd or 3rd generation of CW, but himself not registered at all... marketed as an Hanoverian stallion... when the first Hano approved ancestor is in 3rd generation... people breeds to him and they believe they will have an "hanoverian" foal. Or another CW registered stallion -lovely stallion btw-, marketed as "Oldenburg" probably because he is ISR Oldenburg NA licenced. But he is not an "Oldenburg" stallion... He is a Canadian Warmblood stallion... !!! His sire was an Hano reg. stallion, not approved hano, but approved CW, and his dam was GOV reg+approved). Some people can't help themselves in that departement.

I even saw a CW reg. mare, approved with ISR Oldenburg NA, sold as a State Premium mare. Sad sad. The mare is lovely, nothing wrong with her. But the buyer paid for something the mare is not.

Then it's easy to see why sometimes, it is hard for these sellers to give you registration papers... that might not exist. Or that exist, but issued by another registry than the one you tought your purchase was registered with.

As DY said, if you have all the registration infos about the mare, reg. number etc. and proof that you have paid the mare in full and that you have fulfilled all your part of the sale's contract, it won't hurt to drop an email or give a phone call to the registry, asking what you should do.

Good luck!
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Or you could always post the seller's name here.....
    -Amor vincit omnia-

5 members found this post helpful.