The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ireland bound!

Well! After years of hunting in other provinces, countries and states, I'm taking the plunge and am headed to Ireland! It's been about a two months of planning, and a bucket load of phone calls, e-mails and research but finally things are in order!

Arriving February 12th or 13th, depending on flight expenses I'm going to be hunting with Duhallow, and Stonehall Harriers, staying at the Dunraven Arms. A friend of mine steered me towards Duhallow for their history and experience and another friend who's from just outside Adare steered me towards County Limerick and/or Stonehall.

I know everyone has varying opinions of who to go with and when, but all the the different advice I was getting lead me to believe you kinda couldn't go wrong, especially since an Irishman helped me plan.

so! anyone who's been and knows, send me some insight! I know what to expect hunting, but what shops are a must see and how are the prices at The Country Dresser? I've heard their Melton prices are cheaper than at Horse Country, and I'm thinking I might splurge a bit...

2 members found this post helpful.

No advice! Just very excited for you. I hope you have a wonderfully fun trip. Safe travels.

1 members found this post helpful.

My partner hunted with Duhallow for many years - will ask him what the country is like when he gets in from feeding hounds. His brother hunts the Co Clare pack, after quite a few years hunting the Ormond.

I've hunted with the Ormond, North Tipperary, Blazers and a couple of others - watch out for the drains! =) Their horses jump them like ours jump wire - but it took me a wee while to come to grips with them! You'll have a ball over there =)

I was recently in Ireland, only for a few days for work, but I got in a cross country ride with these folks and it was great fun:
    http://www.abbeyfieldfarm.com/equestrian-page.html
    They also take people hunting several days a week. The website looks a bit commercial and I was afraid it would be either touristy or stuffy, but it was neither. It's run by a family of real horsepeople, hunters and eventers, and it was exactly what I would imagine an Irish stable yard to be. If you are already set for hunting and just looking for other things to do, we stayed at Carton House in Maynooth, which gives a tour of the original manor house that was preserved when the hotel was built onto it. Also, toured the Irish National Stud, which may depend on when you go. They were closing for the season and I'm not sure when they open again. It was interesting and had lovely gardens, though not many horses there at that time, but I bet would be great when the mares are back and foaling starts in late winter. Have a great time. If I go again, I for sure want to hunt.

If you want to watch someone work with youngsters, check out Ann O'Grady at the Ballingowan Equestrian Center. She is FANTASTIC.

Also, be prepared for LOTS of MUD!!! It's OK to wear jods and half chaps for hunting or rubber boots - there are LOTS of briars and wetness, so you really don't want to ruin good boots. RAINCOAT is a necessity!!

Enjoy - and if you get up Galway way, give me a shout!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Thumbs up

Arriving February 12th or 13th, depending on flight expenses I'm going to be hunting with Duhallow, and Stonehall Harriers, staying at the Dunraven Arms. A friend of mine steered me towards Duhallow for their history and experience and another friend who's from just outside Adare steered me towards County Limerick and/or Stonehall.

I know everyone has varying opinions of who to go with and when, but all the the different advice I was getting lead me to believe you kinda couldn't go wrong, especially since an Irishman helped me plan.

.... but what shops are a must see and how are the prices at The Country Dresser? I've heard their Melton prices are cheaper than at Horse Country, and I'm thinking I might splurge a bit...[/QUOTE]

Seeing as your only staying in Adare, you should also check out the Limerick Harriers if you have time!! Big drains etc, but a very friendly hunt who always welcome a visitor! I hunt with them myself, both a local mans horses and my own, so you wont be short of a horse . And I'm sure the Limerick Lads will welcome you in their homes, save on hotels!

As for The Country Dresser, quality stuff but can be pricey!!

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherford View Post
    If you want to watch someone work with youngsters, check out Ann O'Grady at the Ballingowan Equestrian Center. She is FANTASTIC.

Also, be prepared for LOTS of MUD!!! It's OK to wear jods and half chaps for hunting or rubber boots - there are LOTS of briars and wetness, so you really don't want to ruin good boots. RAINCOAT is a necessity!!

Enjoy - and if you get up Galway way, give me a shout!

Totally agree with the Ann statement, I did work experience with her before and shes great to learn from. Really knows her stuff. Dont think I've ridden SJ/ XClines as straight until I came to her.... (Although I do get lazy and have to remind myself sometimes )

"Their horses jump them like ours jump wire - but it took me a wee while to come to grips with them! You'll have a ball over there =) "

Oh YEAH! I came to understand the power of the subconscious back in '69 when in Ireland (Burton Hall) and we were faced with a little stand-alone jump of cyclone fencing wire (points bent over). My little American self was well-drilled in "DO NOT JUMP WIRE". I finally asked for a stick and promised to hit MYSELF since I knew I was doing the stopping, not the honest horse I was on.

C
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Very jealous! I heard hunting in Ireland is like NOTHING you can experience anywhere. We had three Irish men come and hunt with us in Red Rock a coule times, and they were so gung-ho and ball sto the wall, just a blast to ride with. They don't care from what angle, how ugly the fence, or what the other side looks like.. THEY ARE GOING OVER.
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.