The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cleaner/conditioner residue on black bridle

another tack cleaning question, but a bit specific:

I have an Amaras dressage bridle that is about 6 months old. All the cleaners, and/or conditioners that I usually use are leaving residue. Bridle looks great right after I wipe it down & apply the conditioner, when I come back it looks at best dull, at worst has residue on it.

I realized that the tack I have cared for until this point has always been brown, except a few harnesses that barely got used. I do not remember this being an issue with any tack before.

I want something I can use to clean and condition after every use. I have castille soap for big cleans.

I have tried, in various combinations:
    [LIST]
    glycerine soap (realized sponge got black, feared color stripping)
    olive oil (dull & residue)
    Lexol conditioner (don't think it moisturizes much, looked chalky)
    leather wipes (meh)
    Horseman's one step (dull)
    Fiebings oil (left wipe marks when dry, dull)

Before I get lederbalsam or other, I want to opinions ahead of time with regard to residue/dullness on black tack.

It is so sad to come in and see ick looking bridle hanging there.

You have to buff them after you condition them. That may help.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Slightly warmed up Bienenwachs and then buffed to a shine with a soft cloth works for me.

I can buff after it dries, when I come back the next day. It is hard to get the residue out of the seams/creases, etc.

It really does look like sh*te. It actually looks dirty b /c it is so dull & I can see the marks from passing over the leather.

I want brown tack

Use a damp toothbrush with some belvoir or leather new or whatever your cleaner of choice is in the creases/stitching, then condition the whole lot of it. The only downside is then it gets so shiny you can see every d$#& finger print on it

I started using this stuff last summer and love what it does for my black dressage tack:

http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=14482

The lavender smells fabulous.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
    Use a damp toothbrush with some belvoir or leather new or whatever your cleaner of choice is in the creases/stitching, then condition the whole lot of it. The only downside is then it gets so shiny you can see every d$#& finger print on it
    I usually do the toothbrush when I take it apart to clean & will do this to get off the residue. Leather New is glycerin, have you had issues with it taking off the color at all?

which conditioner do you use to get this so shiny?

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    I started using this stuff last summer and love what it does for my black dressage tack:

http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=14482

The lavender smells fabulous.
    Sheilah
    I love that it comes in multiple scents...I am assuming it is a cream? Out of curiosity, is it more solid like the lederbalsam or more fluid like Horseman's Onestep?

IME, I've found that you do rub out some of the dye when you first start cleaning a new piece of tack. Shoot, even on some of my older stuff, I'll pull some of the color.

For regular use, mostly because I've had ease in getting it, I use the Lexol line. Cleaner, then Conditioner.

I've really not had trouble with residue except on one of my newer headstalls that was a little cheaper--I think it had a wax "cover" sprayed on it and it took several cleanings before that went away and the residue issue stopped.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    I love that it comes in multiple scents...I am assuming it is a cream? Out of curiosity, is it more solid like the lederbalsam or more fluid like Horseman's Onestep?
    Nope, not a cream. Picture a cake of glycerin soap. Now imagine it in a jar. I love that I can clean and condition in one step. I soap the sponge up, lather the piece of tack I'm cleaning and then wipe. I live in a dry climate, so I apply oil as a last step.

I have tried a lot of different products over the last 36 years of horse ownership. The T.L.C. is by far the best. I just bought a bunch on-line to give as gifts to barnmates and my instructor.
    Sheilah

I find my tack bleeds a bit when I first get it no matter what I use on it, but no I don't have any issue with it taking the dye out after the initial dye loss. I really like Akene but it costs so darn much I usually buy Bienenwachs (orange tub, usually like $14ish?). I slather it on, rub it in good, and then buff it off with a cloth afterwards.

Oops, I meant to quote this post:
    "I usually do the toothbrush when I take it apart to clean & will do this to get off the residue. Leather New is glycerin, have you had issues with it taking off the color at all?

which conditioner do you use to get this so shiny?
    "