The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It's your property, and he (or the girlfriend) is causing too much drama. If he won't respect your rules then he's gotta go. It sounds like girlfriend feels like she's the queen of your castle.
    Life is full of enough BS without extra hassle from tenants. So no, I don't think you are being unreasonable.
    You are what you dare.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    AOK has it right. The tenant is fine. He pays rent and he feeds. I do expect that I will lose him by imposing the guest rule in the lease. What I really want is to have her just leave my space and stuff alone. It's kind of like roommate 101. We're only one the farm 36 hours a week. I don't think this is too hard.
    How in the six hells is the tenant "fine"?

He allows his guest to go into your upstairs living space.
    He allows his guest to tack up signs in the house and the barn.
    He allows his guest to take your stuff.
    He avoids your attempts to communicate.

Your problem is not the gf. You have no relationship with the gf, she's just your tenant's guest. Your problem is with your tenant.

32 members found this post helpful.

I am looking for some sensible advice here before I turn into the Wicked Witch of the West and circle the Emerald City.

I rent out the lower half of my farm house to a tenant who gets reduced rent for feeding during weekdays. Usually it works out nicely. Mr. IF, IF Jr. and I are here on weekends only. We do farm work, teach lessons and feed. We are out of the house most of the time. We will grill a meal on Saturday nights and use the kitchen. We are quiet, we stay to ourselves, we don't create drama. It's a nice deal for someone who likes living in the country, having cheap rent and can tolerate a roomate on weekends. We also pay 1/3 of all the utilities.

Last summer I had a vacancy and found what I thought was a nice guy to rent the place. I still think that HE is a nice guy, but he sprung a GF on us. I declined to put her on the lease (no application and I didn't have any background check when presented with this person), so I said that we could let her be a guest (dealt with in my lease). He would be in charge of her. Guest can stay for 3 weeks max and I can ignore that limit if I choose.

Obviously he is not in charge of her. This young lady has zero sense of boundaries and is careless. I have found on more than one occasion she has been in the top half of the house (our section) and used our bathroom or taken our stuff. I have also found that she commandeers my things in the kitchen, doing such things as using measuring cups as ashtrays rearranging our cabinets of stuff without so much of a "hey, would you mind if....". Also, she believes the children of the corn live nearby and has locked us out more than once. We finally had to disable a lock so we could get into the house with our keys. Trust me, the house has more than adequate locks. The utilities are 4 times what they have been in the past with a single tenant. She washes constantly and does not know what the off switch is on a light. The utility issue has been solved as we are now only paying up to a certain amount versus the 1/3 we were paying.

Did I add that she is now pregnant?. This would be baby #2; baby #1 not being in her custody. One wonders why, but I did not ask as I had no interest in having her as a tenant. Also, she has no job and allegedly goes to school full time. I have been trying to get through with this lease until the summer when the baby arrives. The bottom half of the house will be too small for them. Tenant also has part custody of a daughter from a former relationship, so we have a PT 4 year old on weekends now.

I am tired of having huge issues with GF every weekend. Recently she posted HUGE signs on the front and back doors tell us to take off our shoes when entering. It is a tile floor in the foyer. Mr IF and I do routinely, as in our own residence. IF Jr can forget. I have no problem talking with him about compliance, but really, a non-tenant posting signage -- not acceptable to me. You can just talk to us.

She has also posted signs in the barn telling my boarders what to do about feeding the barn cats and their own horses. Again, not a word to me. Those signs were taken down immediately by me. All she has to do is tell me her concerns or better yet, tell my tenant! He can tell me if it is something he can't deal with.

If I am being a totally unreasonable asshat, please tell me. IMO, I bend over backwards respecting their space and privacy. I know that I just want to kick her out. I would really like to avoid that, but I am at the point where I just want her gone. Tenant knows that she has been pushing it and there has been yet again another visit upstairs this week and more rearrangement. Mr. IF wants me to hit my ignore button and I am having a hard time doing it.

I really need some COTH wisdom here. I've been a landlord for 25 years, but this is a special rental. I recognize that. I also have a strong sense of fairness. But honestly, I want to kick start my broom and skywrite!
    I think you need to take your broom and whack her in the a$$ on her way out the door.

13 members found this post helpful.

have you tried talking directly with the girlfriend?....just "enlighten" her as to the common courtesy boundaries upon which she has trod.........and the consequences for continuing to overstep her boundaries.....

another alternative might be to leave a "journal" for corresponding between the 2 parties, since you are not there lots.............it just stays in a common location, and either party can communicate back and forth.......worked well in a situation with multiple caregivers, so each would know what another had done, it made everyone accountable for their own actions , and no misunderstandings about who was supposed to do what, when, how.......

also, IF you can add locks to your personal quarters, i would do so...........i don't think i would have waited to install locks if i was in the same living situation as yourself............

it sounds like one of those 'pick your battles' situations......just take the top 3 things, and let the rest go..............

good luck

1 members found this post helpful.

The guest, or any guest, should be tip-toeing around the place. She should NOT be acting in any way like a tenant even if she is dating the tenant. It is not her business to post signs, to tell people what to do, or go in any part of the house that is not specifically assigned to the tenant.

My recommendation is to end the lease and find someone who is a more suitable tenant and will respect boundaries. If the GF wasn't expecting a baby in the very near future, I might suggest trying to work with him on the "guest" policy or any other behaviors. However, once the GF brings the baby home, I think it is going to be much more difficult to get them to change anything due to the added stress. While I love kids, I think in this situation it's going to complicate matters for you a lot.

8 members found this post helpful.

I rent out the lower half of my farm house to a tenant who gets reduced rent for feeding during weekdays. !
    Are you aware you need to cut a 1099-MISC to him for the amount of rent your are compensating him for?

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    The guest, or any guest, should be tip-toeing around the place. She should NOT be acting in any way like a tenant even if she is dating the tenant.
    Although to be completely fair: OP was told about gf the day before the move, sometime in the summer, and gf has been living there since. The guest clause was never enforced. OP is figuring the whole little family might leave once gf gives birth - there is still no real intent, much less firm plan, about enforcing the guest clause when the baby comes. Just assumption/hope that they'll leave.

I would find it hard to act like a tip-toeing guest after living somewhere for half a year, and intending to have my baby in the home (well, not give birth there...you know what I mean)

2 members found this post helpful.

Put on your big girl panties and send a notice of violation of the lease rules as per his "guest" list specifically your issues (locking out etc) and clearly state he can still be there, she cannot. Your land, your rules. Time to stop being nice start being a landlord and land owner. If he can't abide by the rules, evict him too and find someone drama free.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Although to be completely fair: OP was told about gf the day before the move, sometime in the summer, and gf has been living there since. The guest clause was never enforced. OP is figuring the whole little family might leave once gf gives birth - there is still no real intent, much less firm plan, about enforcing the guest clause when the baby comes. Just assumption/hope that they'll leave.

I would find it hard to act like a tip-toeing guest after living somewhere for half a year, and intending to have my baby in the home (well, not give birth there...you know what I mean)
    Let me clarify, by "tip-toeing", I don't mean cowering in the corners and staying completely out of the daylight. I mean that she should have some RESPECT for the people who own the house and NOT roam around in private areas that are not covered in the lease. Teh GF's behavior demonstrates a total lack of respect.

8 members found this post helpful.

THIS....it is fine if you want to sit down and go over the concerns, but make sure and have your written notice of Lease Violation ready to hand over to him after your chat. EVERYTHING is in writing. Be professional, there is no compromise, you have a lease agreement. Be firm and consistent. Most leases have language about giving notice to add household members and only done with approval. If yours does not, be sure and update your Lease. What if he moves out and she stays? You have a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoonlady View Post
    Put on your big girl panties and send a notice of violation of the lease rules as per his "guest" list specifically your issues (locking out etc) and clearly state he can still be there, she cannot. Your land, your rules. Time to stop being nice start being a landlord and land owner. If he can't abide by the rules, evict him too and find someone drama free.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    Let me clarify, by "tip-toeing", I don't mean cowering in the corners and staying completely out of the daylight. I mean that she should have some RESPECT for the people who own the house and NOT roam around in private areas that are not covered in the lease. Teh GF's behavior demonstrates a total lack of respect.
    Nah, I knew what you meant. But the OP has never enforced the guest clause, even when things were going sour with the gf. There is a possibility, as someone else mentioned, that depending on the laws of wherever OP lives that by now the gf might have some kind of tenancy protection. She has clearly not been a "guest" as specified in the clause.

What happens if GF gets herself hurt in the barn?

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    I think you need to take your broom and whack her in the a$$ on her way out
    Or a cactus.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Sounds like you only want to rent to single people/people without kids. Not my area of expertise, but I have this nagging thought that discriminating on that basis in renting is illegal...
    REALLY?? Geez. And this is why I don't rent to anyone anymore. I own a property but have no say on who I can rent it to? Nope, not gonna happen. So many people scream discrimination if they don't get their way.
    "When a president can pick and choose which laws to follow and which to ignore, he is no longer a president. " Ted Cruz

4 members found this post helpful.

You also said she's taken stuff out of your upstairs, where she knows she's not supposed to be. She knows she shouldn't be there because your tenant knows how much house he rents. But apparently he's ignoring her behavior. She's stealing your stuff, she's trespassing, locking you out of your own home, and rearranging your stuff like she owns the place... You are much nicer than me. The tenant is as much a part of the problem as she is because he's not stopping her and ignoring you.
    You need to get them out before she pops a kid out in your bed. I'm only semi-joking here.
    You are what you dare.

6 members found this post helpful.

You are being an asshat.

Because you haven't enforced the guest clause yet. They aren't going to change their behavior, so either suck it up or lay down the law.

OP, btw, kick start brooms were discontinued in 1985. Electric start is the norm. Ask me how I know
    "When a president can pick and choose which laws to follow and which to ignore, he is no longer a president. " Ted Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    How in the six hells is the tenant "fine"?

He allows his guest to go into your upstairs living space.
    He allows his guest to tack up signs in the house and the barn.
    He allows his guest to take your stuff.
    He avoids your attempts to communicate.

Your problem is not the gf. You have no relationship with the gf, she's just your tenant's guest. Your problem is with your tenant.
    This. For those insinuating the OP is violating the Fair Housing Act, no, she isn't. She only has one legal tenant. The GF is a guest who hasn't signed anything-she and her children actually are there only at the OP's sufferance (though the longer it goes on, the harder it will be to get rid of her.)

The signs are annoying, but addressable. The locking of doors IN A MANNER THAT PREVENTS THE LANDLORD ACCESSING THE PROPERTY is not acceptable. The entering the OP's private residence upstairs and using their things without permission is absolutely unacceptable and out of line. Potentially it's criminal trespass if she has not been given permission to be there--that area is NOT part of the lease, and it's not HER residence.

I would have a talk with the tenant (ie the person whose name is on the lease) and explain that his squatter GF's behavior is NOT acceptable and if it does not cease, you will be enforcing the three-week guest limit on her and you will not be renewing the lease. Frankly, the invading the upstairs and moving and misusing stuff would creep me out. That's just not appropriate behavior. I lived above the real-estate office that owned my little closet apartment in NH and it would never occur to me to just stroll in to steal a pen or something.

6 members found this post helpful.

FWIW I never said that the OP was doing anything illegal. I said it SOUNDS like she only wants single tenants and if, in the future, she discriminated against renters based on their marriage/child status THAT could be a problem. Not that evicting the tenant and his non tenant girlfriend WAS a problem.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

One of the CANTER groups has a horse called Letmegetmybroom. I suggest you buy him as a constant reminder to the tenant...