The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

I don't usually read history, but decided that since this year was the 150th anniversary of the Civil War that I needed to read more about it. Read "Battle Cry of Freedom" and I have to say that it was the best history book I've ever read.

I also read "Clarissa" the first and longest novel in English. I enjoyed it, and even though it was written in the 1700s, very topical for women's issues. But 48000 page turns on my Kindle was !

Novels

The Beginner's Goodbye by Anne Tyler - because she is Anne Tyler and anything written by her is worth reading. The narrator loses his wife in a freak accident that also destroys part of their house, and begins to see her ghost as he has the house repaired. Her ghost - not terribly chatty, and very possibly only his own invention - compels him to re-examine their marriage and his own life. Which sounds utterly boring, but she's ANNE TYLER. It's good.

Humor
    It Looked Different On The Model - Laurie Notaro
    Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

Nonfiction
    I read a lot of Patricia B. McConnell's books on dog training, including For The Love Of A Dog and The Other End Of The Leash. The writing style and use of anecdotes makes them entertaining as well as informative.

A Silence Of Mockingbirds: The Memoir Of A Murder by Karen Spears Zacharias - a difficult, complicated and painful account of the author's long relationship with a troubled girl who grows up to be accused of a vicious crime. Impossible to put down.

Read and loved the George Martin series, the Girl with the dragon tattoo series, Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth and World without End. Was also surprised I liked S. King's 11/22/63 so much.

Will read through the suggestions here, i don't know what to read next!
    Last edited by Dorienna; Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added SK

This year in school, I've done American classics and have really enjoyed it. At the top of my list are The Great Gatsby and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I read To Kill a Mockingbird several times a year, so that's kind of a permanent favorite.

And as much as I am loathe to admit it, I'm kind of enjoying the A Circuit series for when I want something mind numbing.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

"The Story of Rose; A Man and His Dog" by Jon Katz. About a man who leaves his life behind and moves with his border collie to an isolated New York farm. You will need at least three hankies. This one is now available for Kindle.

"Healing Shine - A Spiritual Assignment" by Michael Johnson. About "training" a team roping horse. The story of one man and one horse, and their seven-year spiritual journey together.

excerpt from synopsis:

"Don’t buy him,” counsels Shine’s owner. “You won’t like him.” Undaunted, Michael purchases the horse expecting his training methods to produce solid results in thirty days – sixty at the most. Some two years and three months later, Shine is no different than he was on the first day. The crushing realization comes that the man who considered himself an expert is a fool. Gradually, he comes to a most difficult admission. Like so many who claim to know everything there is to know about horses - he knows nothing at all. Yet, he cannot abandon the gray. Something in his spirit tells Michael that in the heart of the disturbed horse resides the thing called greatness.

The story of one horse and one man and their seven-year spiritual journey together. Along the way, a blue roan colt, an old warhorse, and true horsemen provide Michael with pieces to the puzzle of Healing Shine – and at last, a path into the heart of the great gray. Once there, both man and horse find more magic than anyone dreamed. "